tommyboy

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
hi i have a GA-P35C-DS3R ( rev 2.0 bios f12e ) mobo installed with 3 x 1 gb crucial ballistix 1066 ram occupying dimm slots 1, 2, and 4 when i insert a fourth i gb ram into slot 3 the pc crashes i have tried mixing the ram in different configurations with the 3 slot vacant and it boots every time.. each stick of ram has been tested with memtest 86 and all has passed...im not sure if the 3rd dimm slot is faulty or the board has a problem with 4gb ram installed... i had previously had 2 x 1gb and 2 x 512 mb corsair xms 6400 ram installed and i had no problems...has anyone experienced the same problem.....i have a q6600 cpu running a stock speeds , 36 gb raptor , 600 watt ocz psu, bfg 8600gts graphic card running xp pro...thanks in advance...

tommyboy

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
thanks for the reply maybe it cant handle the four sticks through a lack of juice..that does make perfect sense.. by how much power increments should i be looking at ?......

First make sure that it is running at the specd' voltage for your memory in the BIOS. Most boards will set the stock voltage of 1.8, and I believe your Crucial specifies 2.2, see about that first and then let us know how it goes.....

boulard83

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
yup ! dont use AUTO setting, manual it. use Proper voltage, maybe MORE for 4 stick, its always better to use 2 sticks, easier on board. (2x2gb)

Loose timing ? raise voltage ? try is, as jit told.

tommyboy

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
thanks again im afraid ive got 4 x 1 gb sticks gonna go into the bios and check the voltages but im sure they are set to auto and i think the timings should be 5-5-5-15 ....

tommyboy

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
just gone into bios it seems in the pc health section my memory voltage is 2.000 volts..do i go to the m.i.t tweak part i think it is and higher it up in the ddr2/ ddr3 overvoltage control location?

bilbat

Splendid
For some %^$# reason, getting 4x1 to work actually appears to be harder than 4x2 - don't ask me why... Don't know if you have the 2.0 or the 2.2V RAM version, but, whatever, the BIOS setting is 1.8 PLUS the selected RAM voltage boost, so you will need at least either a .2 or a .4 V boost, and maybe a tad more for four sticks. My board seems to produce a slightly higher voltage than selected in the BIOS, which I find to be a good thing, but YMMV. Also, you will likely need to bump up the MCH voltage a tenth or so, and, frankly, never hurts to add active NorthBridge(MCH) cooling...

dscn1735sbz0.jpg

Also, what is your static tRD? might need to bump it one for 4x1...

Good luck - message back if you still have troubles...
Bill

bilbat

Splendid
Yeah - it's under the 'M.I.T. section... You will need to change 'System Voltage Control' to 'Manual' to be able to 'bump up' the RAM & MCH voltages; DDR2 OverVoltage will want to be either +.20V (if you have the 2.0V RAM) or +.40V (if it's the 2.2); set '(G)MCH OverVoltage to +.10V, and see if it will boot...