full tower vs mid tower, worth it?

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I am having trouble with heat. i am wondering will a full tower help with heat or is it just bigger? The extra room will be nice, but is it worth the extra money?

I am thinking mid tower, either: Antec 900 or COOLER MASTER RC-690.

for full tower i am looking at Antec 1200.

What about a cheaper full tower like the Sunbeam Transformer? $70
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811166004
Would it be cooler just because of size?

Does a full tower give me any more room back to front to accomadate long video cards?

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
1. Usually a full tower case will provide more room for your components to breath, and therefore offer better cooling. Also, with the additional space, full towers can be equipped with more cooling fans, providing better circulation, aka better cooling.

2. Most full tower cases do offer more room to accommodate for longer video cards...but this might vary from case to case...

It is personal preference more than anything, and yes you will have more room front to back and all around. If you have the room for it, I much perfer a full tower case. It is easier to work inside a full tower for me, I am 6' 2" and weigh 235 pounds, and I get pretty frustrated trying to work inside of a small case.
Just make sure the PSU you buy has long enough power cables. If you pick up a PSU for a micro case, you will have problems.
Read the reviews, a lot of people were not happy with this particular Sunbeam case you are looking at.
The Antec 1200 is pricey, but it is a very, very nice case.
I would spend the money on the Antec, after all a case like this will likely suit all your build needs for years to come.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Full towers are pretty big, but leave a lot of space for things to cool and to put more drives, etc.

The antec 900 and antec 1200 are excellent cases for cooling. The 1200 has fan filters and controls on the outside to adjust speed.