Sign in with
Your question

Empty drive - fragmentation problem

Last response: in Storage
January 25, 2010 11:03:33 PM

1TB hdd with 3x315GB NTFS partitions on Vista.

It is outrageous !!!
Almost all files copied on an empty(and formatted) NTFS partition are fragmented. I use the Hard Drive for backup storage, and almost all files have 1GB, and 90% of them are fragmented after being copied on a EMPTY DRIVE. Outrageous :( 
a b G Storage
February 1, 2010 12:58:22 AM

So why not just use a defragmenting utility (like the one built into Windows), which also defragments empty space?
February 2, 2010 7:33:51 AM

r_manic said:
So why not just use a defragmenting utility (like the one built into Windows), which also defragments empty space?

If I copy on an empty partition(or drive) 50 GB of data (50 files 1 GB each). After that 47 of them are fragmented, each file in 2-3 pieces.
Let's say I use a defrag software, it will do the job, but next day when I will copy 50GB more, on the partition will be the fist 50 GB of data ok and the next 50 GB fragmented. If I use again the defrag sotware it will do the job in about 4 hours. (time witch will increase exponential with the amount of data on the hard drive)

The problem is : Why the SO will not copy the files continuously but it will place them random on the hard drive , witch will result an outrageous degree of fragmentation ?!?

I don't have this problem on an XP system, who copy the files continuously and the result is 0% fragmentation.
It might be the fault of the Norton 360 installed on Vista witch the PC Optimization option witch I can't disable it. I don't now yet.

February 2, 2010 7:59:35 AM

Files copied with XP

Files copied with Vista

!