PSU problem ... HELP!

grunt123

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Ok, so, i upgraded a few parts of my computer which included psu. I installed a brand new P&C Silencer 750W, put everything together, and when i tried to power on, nothing happened. I could see standby LED green light on motheboard, and USB devices connected to mb turned on, but no case fan (which was directly connected to PSU) or cpu cooler fan didn't even move. and then, i realized that i didn't plug 12v power connector, so i unplugged power cable from psu and plugged 12V connector, replugged power cable, tried to power it again, .... no luck.

so ... i unplugged every power connector of new psu, and put my old psu (500W) into motherboard power connector. and cpu cooler fan started to spin when i powered on.

i'm guessing that my brand new psu is somehow defective ... (although i've never seen defective pc parts when i assembled/upgraded pc during past years) ... Could there be any other reason???

thanks in advance

grunt123

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Any thought? :(

Everything points to faulty psu so far ... but, this is a brand new and premium quality P&C 750W psu. damn.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
It certainly sounds like a dead PSU. They are excellent, but there are DOAs with any component.

Call tech support they are really good, at least they were before OCZ acquired them, I assume they still are.

You can do a rudimentary test it by plugging in a hard drive and a fan and see if it spins.

You will need to short the green wire with one of the black wires on the 24 pin to start it.

mcc1ad.jpg

grunt123

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
IT guy at my company actually helped me testing the psu, and he confirmed that the psu was dead :(

I'm going to get a replacement today since they have 15 days direct replacement policy. damn, still can't believe i got somehow unlucky and picked up dead psu.

Thanks for all the advice.