Gigabyte (GA-MA78G-DS3HP) AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
Hello, I am currently looking for a new motherboard (my old one just died) and I have picked out 2 or three, and this is the only one with intergrated graphics. I was wondering how well the graphics chip on this motherboard was? I do have a video card but it is only a 7300 gs and was wondering if the onboard is better or not. Thanks for any help

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
As far as I can understand from the spec sheet of the gigabyte MB, DDR2 533 is not supported. As for the graphic card, the 7300 GS is not a powerful card but as where it stands compare to the integrated GPU I couldn't tell. In any case, If your not gaming or use any graphic intensive application, you should be good to go with either one.

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
ok thanks, one more question, Ive never bought a motherboard with an ati integrated graphics, so my question is- can i still run an nvidia video card on it and if so can i run sli with it (i knw there are 2 pcie-2.0 slots)?

ManOnTheSide1027

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

lol, well if you are familiar with chipsets you will be answering your own question right about now. when B-Unit said it will run nVidia cards, he means in one slot. SLI only works with the chipsets like 750i/750a or 780i/780a. The board you are looking at is a 780 G AMD chipset, so no you won't be running SLI at all, but you can run one nVidia card because if that's the case then the mother board you choose doesn't matter :lol:

as for crossfire...hm there are quite a few 780g chipset motherboards that seem to support CrossfireX, not the Hybrid exclusive kind, but they don't really specify. it's a great motherboard, but I think you're better off with getting a JetWay 790GX motherboard, for about the same price you get confirmed Crossfire and much faster integrated video and all that jazz. they have it on newegg, so search around. :p