Windows 7 doesn't recognize my overclock

akara083

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
I did a fresh install of Windows 7 Home Premium x64, and everything works perfect. The only problem is that Windows 7 wont recognize my overclock that I had set up in the BIOS when I had Vista Home Premium x64 running. Cpu-z says that my overclock is at 3.8Ghz and that my ram specs are still as it was under vista, basically nothing in the BIOS is changed. I'm just confused as to why Windows 7 still says my CPU is at stock speeds. any thoughts?
thanks!

akara083

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
I checked the speeds right clicking my computer---> properties. Or the system option in the control panel. Cpu-z says everything is working fine.

NVH_GUY

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
I'm having the same issue... I have an EVGA X58 SLI LE mobo and in the BIOS I set the CPU Freq at 165 (3.3 GHz)... when I go to Start -> (Right Click) Computer -> Properties... the Processor field reads 2.79 GHz... I had a stable OC at 3.43 though it did freeze up twice for unknown reasons... cooling is not an issue... all of the other monitoring SW I have is reporting similar results with CPU-z HW Monitor saying my CPU VCORE is .95 V and 50 W power consumption when normally it should be at 151 and some change... I am currently running prime95 and in looking at the HW monitor I see that the frequency is correct... any ideas?

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Windows 7 still reports my i5-750 (OC'd to 3.6) as running at stock speed (2.66). I believe the screen you're talking about is the Windows Properties screen... where it displays your WEI score. My guess is that Microsoft is simply recognizing you have a certain type of processor and listing its default speed in those fields.

No worries. CPU-Z wouldn't lie to you.

NVH_GUY

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
I noticed too that in the My Computer -> Properties window... the overclock speed was listed after the CPU info now it just says the stock speed... but again... CPU-Z and evga E-LEET tuning utility show my overclock... as does the benchmark test i've been running... thanks again!

savior02

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
When I overclocked my PC to 3.8 it used to say under properties 920 @ 2.67GHz 3.8GHz and now it just says 2.67GHz 2.67GHz. Weird.

WILLARDSMITH

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
My Computer does the same thing and CPU-Z says its overclocked i am going from 3.00 to 3.7 and windows in normal boot doesnt see it but if you notice when you go to Safe mode windows recognizes it! isnt that weird?

Cobra_388th

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
Now, I'm confused thought cause When I had XP SP3 CPU-z was showing that I had my AMD FX-60 OC'ed from stock 2.6 (200FSB 13x Multi) to 2.8 (200FSB 14XMulti) But the same mobo DFI Lanparty ut CFX3200 and now with win 7 Both the Computer Properties and CPU-z Show that it's not OC'ed... Yet when I go into the BIOS it shows my multi @ 14 and FSB @ 200 but CPU-z says 13 multi and 200 FSB... What's up with that? :cry:

biruta

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
Same problem here, cpu at 4.2 ghz, windows showing 3.3 ghz, games showing 3.3 ghz, but bios and cpu-z are showing 4.2 ghz.
It's not a real problem atm, but I want to know as games use information found in the operating system to check the processor speed, what will happen when 3.3 ghz is not enough anymore?

noidis

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

Have you run any benchmark software? Could be your processor throttling down... I'd also try running a stress test or something to see if that fixes it.

bill_bright

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2004
windows displays AMD only overclocks in the properties tab.
intel do not change at all.

Coming in late, but I beg to differ.

TomsHWCPUSpeed.png

jtmarch86

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Guys, Windows won't normally recognize your overclock in the System Properites window.
But that doesn't mean it's not overclocked.

Check out http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
It will always show your correct system stats, and it's a good way
to monitor voltages.
Also remember that you may need to stress your
cpu to actually see it ramp up to it's full speed.
I recommend using Prime95 (http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/)
It works great, and is a necessary tool for
stress testing your system for stability.

There is, however a way to get it to show the overclocked stats on the System Properties.
And I'm looking it up now, I'll let you guys know when I find it.

Edit: OK, from what I'm reading, you have to stress your computer out with OCCT.
http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download to get it to
show your correct speed in system properties. (but thats really just for show, cpu-z
should be what you rely on for that)

jtmarch86

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
How old is this thread.....

Still seems to be an issue that Microsoft hasn't fixed. And tbh, upon searching google, its been hard to find a straight answer. But from what I can find, the only real way to get it to show properly is to disable speed step, and that's not something you should do if you're running a high overclock with alot of voltage. It would stay relatively hot, and I'm sure shorten your CPUs life.

I always use CPU-z, but it would be nice to have it for show.
I know there is a way to edit the assessment score, and I wonder if there
Is a way to do the same thing for cpu speed?

greatchef

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010

And still lol. I see that in safe mode it will always show the O.C. speed correctly. So as previously stated the speed step of seems to be the way to go to see the true clock speed.

greatchef_62

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

true off speed stepping in the bios

akara083

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

Oh, it doesn't matter at all, I was just an inexperienced kid that thought his overclock wasn't working properly. Boy, was I wrong. Oh so wrong!