Thermal compound clog!! help!

korsen

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
My cousin has an AMD X2 4400 and he had a water block on it where the tank was leaking outside the case so he took that off and removed the processor but he got thermal compound on the pins of his processor, which he cleaned (no idea how he did that) but now he also has thermal compound inside the socket!!! - any idea how to clean that out properly without damaging anything?

Thanks a bunch.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I never had that problem, but I would open the clip and hose it out with a can of plastic safe residue free contact cleaner. The can with the tube attached.

Test it to be sure it's plastic safe and don't get the cleaner that has lubricant, because obviously it's not residue free.

Be sure to use safety glasses/googles, as it will spray back in your eyes, and do it outside.

Zorg's method is probably the best, as isopropyll alcohol may not be able to get the goop out of the holes. Since whatever you use may need to be applied with some pressure, you'll probably need to take the mobo out of the case, and probably hold it on edge.