Stops just after CPU ID in POST

MBear2k

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Hello all. I have a Gigabyte GA-8I945G Pro motherboard. I inherited it with a Pentium 4 Processor (530J - SL7PU) 3Ghz processor and some Geil 1GB PCS-4300 ram. That combination worked fine.

Needing bigger/faster/more I checked the GB website and found I could run a Pentium D processor with an upgraded bios. The bios level was at F5. I ordered a Pentium D 945(3.4GHz,4MB) and while waiting for it to arrive updated the bios(s) to F12. When the processor arrived I popped it in with fresh compound and a new heatsink/cooler and fired it up. It starts post, gets to the CPU ID and hangs - right where it should be counting/ID'ing memory.

It stops cold at:
Main Processor : Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.20Ghz(266x12)
<CPUID:0F62 Patch ID:000F>

I flattened the bios - same thing. I put in a brand new stick of Kingston KVR667D2N5K2 (1GB 667MHz DDR2) memory - same thing. I tried a second PSU - same thing.

I have nothing else connected to the MB - no floppy, drives, video (tried both on-board and add-on video).

Any thoughts? Bad CPU?

zingping321

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011

I'm having the same problem here....
Intel I945 BIOS for 8I 94P-G F11
Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00 GHz(200x15)

So i googled the error message and found your post, but no one has replied
and it looks like you have not resolved it neither.

If someone could help out it would help me out, as i have been trying my best to isolate th65e problem with no luck so far.

I had the same problem a while back if i remember correctly and it was fixed by placing the computer on its side, and eventually it was able to run right side up.

but the problem has come back and now that method has not worked...
any suggestions......anyone?

suteck

Distinguished
It should work. Have you tried re-seating the cpu? Sometimes it doesn't seat correctly so it won't read it. What does flattened the bios mean? Does it mean you cleared cmos and during reboot you went into bios and set it to default settings? You should try that if that's not what it means.