How to raid 0 SSD and have a seperate HD windows 7

psbear532

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Hi this is my first build and am having some trouble. I have put my 2 SSD in raid 0 and they work perfectly BUT the problem is that windows 7 will not allow me to access my other 1 TB HD (it also doesn't include it in the list of hardware) which I have not set up in RAID (I want it to be separate from my SSD's RAID). I know the computer knows the HD is there since BIOS recognizes it. I hope I haven't confused you about my problem.... So my question is how exactly can I RAID 0 my SSD's while keeping my other HD separate from RAID and accessible? Please be very specific am a total noob when it comes to RAID since I have never done it before. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Solution
Hrm. I'm going to make the assumption that you've used the motherboard's RAID options. Usually this turns all of the SATA ports over to the RAID controller. Ones that aren't in a specific setup are supposed to be just sent as normal. Two things to try. Go into the raid options and see if you have to "add" the other hard drive to a single drive thing. Another would be to rightclick "my computer" and hit manage. Then go to the hard drive options and see if it just didn't assign a drive letter because of something stupid like it isn't formatted.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Hrm. I'm going to make the assumption that you've used the motherboard's RAID options. Usually this turns all of the SATA ports over to the RAID controller. Ones that aren't in a specific setup are supposed to be just sent as normal. Two things to try. Go into the raid options and see if you have to "add" the other hard drive to a single drive thing. Another would be to rightclick "my computer" and hit manage. Then go to the hard drive options and see if it just didn't assign a drive letter because of something stupid like it isn't formatted.

Solution

psbear532

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010

I got the problem sorted out and it was that stupid thing you mentioned that it didn't assign a drive because it wasn't formatted. Wasted so much time on something so small and stupid that windows 7 should do automatically. Anyway thanks for your response I appreciate your help.