Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AMD to give ATI Radeon users a huge performance boost beyond Graphics!

Last response: in CPUs
Share
November 13, 2008 8:00:58 PM

Intel must be very nervous right now....Graphics cards that go beyond graphics? yep that's correct. AMD is soon to release 45nm Quads as we know and combined with this innovative technology, could this be the end of Evil Intel?

This is exciting news....I can't contain how happy I am :) 

Article:
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/081113/20081112006601.html?.v=1

Quote:
December ATI Catalyst(TM) Driver Release Automatically Switches on ATI Stream Acceleration in ATI Radeon(TM) Graphics Cards Found in Millions of PCs
To Enable Instant Benefit, Users Will Also Be Able to Download Free Avivo(TM) Video Converter That Makes High-Definition Video Conversion up to 17x Faster


Quote:
SUNNYVALE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--AMD (NYSE: AMD - News) today announced that starting next month, the company plans to release for download a free ATI Catalyst™ driver update that instantly unlocks new ATI Stream acceleration capabilities already built into millions of ATI Radeon™ graphics cards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ATI Stream is a set of advanced hardware and software technologies that enable AMD graphics processors (GPU), working in concert with the system’s central processor (CPU), to accelerate applications beyond just graphics. This results in better balanced platforms capable of running demanding computing tasks faster than ever


Quote:
To give users immediate benefit from ATI Stream, AMD also plans to release in December a free downloadable version of its ATI Avivo™ Video Converter utility. This intuitive, easy-to-use application enables transcoding of HD video up to 17 times faster1 than with the CPU alone, in tests performed using an ATI Radeon™ HD 4850 graphics card


This is AMD innovation at it's best....I'm so proud of them!

AMD4Life!!
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2008 8:05:16 PM

thunderman said:
Intel must be very nervous right now....Graphics cards that go beyond graphics? yep that's correct. AMD is soon to release 45nm Quads as we know and combined with this innovative technology, could this be the end of Evil Intel?

This is exciting news....I can't contain how happy I am :) 

Article:
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/081113/20081112006601.html?.v=1

Quote:
December ATI Catalyst(TM) Driver Release Automatically Switches on ATI Stream Acceleration in ATI Radeon(TM) Graphics Cards Found in Millions of PCs
To Enable Instant Benefit, Users Will Also Be Able to Download Free Avivo(TM) Video Converter That Makes High-Definition Video Conversion up to 17x Faster


Quote:
SUNNYVALE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--AMD (NYSE: AMD - News) today announced that starting next month, the company plans to release for download a free ATI Catalyst™ driver update that instantly unlocks new ATI Stream acceleration capabilities already built into millions of ATI Radeon™ graphics cards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ATI Stream is a set of advanced hardware and software technologies that enable AMD graphics processors (GPU), working in concert with the system’s central processor (CPU), to accelerate applications beyond just graphics. This results in better balanced platforms capable of running demanding computing tasks faster than ever


Quote:
To give users immediate benefit from ATI Stream, AMD also plans to release in December a free downloadable version of its ATI Avivo™ Video Converter utility. This intuitive, easy-to-use application enables transcoding of HD video up to 17 times faster1 than with the CPU alone, in tests performed using an ATI Radeon™ HD 4850 graphics card


This is AMD innovation at it's best....I'm so proud of them!

AMD4Life!!




Oh I am so excited,, really I am...

Infact, I am so excited im going to buy my self some laxatives for the wait in anticipation of the revival of one such processor company...

I would say that Commodore were a lot more evil than Intel have ever been.....


All I can say is I - Core Extreme...


November 13, 2008 8:14:21 PM

Oh dear... I agree with you it's actually exciting to see that nvidia won't be able to use CUDA as a crutch for much longer. However I want to see some uses that this technology might bring to more gaming-oriented tasks (ray-tracing?).
Related resources
November 13, 2008 8:22:58 PM

Quote:
This will have the immediate effect of allowing any ATI Stream-enabled application to run faster, with no special effort required by consumers to enable this technology.


It's great to be adding more functionality to the cards, but nothing you currently run will be Stream-enabled. It's really going to rely on whichever company decides to test it out to see how much quicker their software runs with it, and hoping others jump on the wagon. I have a HD2900XT in this computer so I hope it works out.
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2008 8:25:07 PM

Interesting... All I see however is HD movie benefits. How will this effect gaming though?
November 13, 2008 8:27:17 PM

It's free... i like that.
November 13, 2008 8:41:04 PM

Another excellent Thunderman Post. :whistle: 
November 13, 2008 8:41:17 PM

Could some give me a bried explenation, cause i dont quite understand

Quote:
AMD graphics processors (GPU), working in concert with the system’s central processor (CPU),


I'm confused on this part, your saying ATI uses amd gpu chips?
November 13, 2008 8:43:32 PM

alwinp said:
Could some give me a bried explenation, cause i dont quite understand

Quote:
AMD graphics processors (GPU), working in concert with the system’s central processor (CPU),


I'm confused on this part, your saying ATI uses amd gpu chips?


ATI use ATI gpu chips. AMD brought out ATI to offset some of its own debts. :p 
November 13, 2008 8:59:04 PM

hey thunderman, did you realize to get those figures they used an intel qx9650...

OP FTL
November 13, 2008 8:59:49 PM

dagger said:
ATI use ATI gpu chips. AMD brought out ATI to offset some of its own debts. :p 



And here is a perfect example of how someone changes history. That AMD bought ATI for chipsets and GPUs to build homogenous paltforms is displaced by some one making something up out of thin air.

Quote:
AMD brought out ATI to offset some of its own debts


November 13, 2008 9:04:25 PM

turpit said:
And here is a perfect example of how someone changes history. That AMD bought ATI for chipsets and GPUs to build homogenous paltforms is displaced by some one making something up out of thin air.

Quote:
AMD brought out ATI to offset some of its own debts


http://media.g4tv.com/images/blog/2007/11/27/633317514784490542.jpg


You're right, since AMD is making so much profit from their popular cpus right now, ATI definitely didn't offset of of AMD's debts. :whistle: 
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2008 9:21:04 PM

dagger said:
Another excellent Thunderman Post. :whistle: 


I really think Thunderpants is actually Sharikook. Both allude to Intel being "nervous" or "fatally" injured over some insignificant AMD development, despite Intel raking in huge profits quarter after quarter. And I note that about the same time Thunderpants posted this here, he also posted the same thing on his blog . Coincidence? I think not. So few people visit Sharikook's blog nowadays that he has to come here to stir things up.
November 13, 2008 9:33:09 PM

This is all not to mention Nvidia already have CUDA enabled on its 8-series line since last year.

a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2008 10:41:09 PM

a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2008 10:42:19 PM

Also nVidia had BadaBOOM before ATI!

For those that care:
Quote:
The badaboom™ Media Converter formats video and audio files for a variety of devices using a process called transcoding. By utilizing a NVIDIA® GeForce® GPU, badaboom™ enables users to painlessly convert video in multiple formats and view them on their portable media devices - all in a convenient, intuitive application.

Minimum Recommended Hardware: 1.6GHz Dual Core Processor, GeForce 8 Series or later graphics.

DL here:
http://www.nvidia.com/content/forcewithin/us/download.a...

@strangestranger : Ling time no see. Where were you?
November 13, 2008 10:46:27 PM

Intel is nervous, yes. This single announcement makes not only their market share, performance lead, and upcomming Larabee insignificant, but it thrust AMD straight into the same category as Jesus' next comming.

Thats what I got out of it his post.

On the serious and down to earth part of the announcement/technology, it sounds pretty nifty, and definetly a stepping stone to the Fusion chip. This might be to gather some sort of preliminary test data for the Fusion chip, or something similar.
November 13, 2008 11:13:14 PM

dagger said:
You're right, since AMD is making so much profit from their popular cpus right now, ATI definitely didn't offset of of AMD's debts. :whistle: 



And here is how individuals "prove" their made up theory. Ignoring the fact that AMD was financially sound when it bought ATI, disregarding the fact that AMDs current debt was in no small part caused by the purchase of ATI, and apparently not knowing that at the time the purchase was being planned (prior to the release of C2D) AMDs products were competative and profitable, they instead focus on events of the moment as proof of their theory.

Dagger, you ARE NOT going to 'wikipedia' this and 'rewrite' history simply because you are too lazy to read.

From Arstechnica
arstech

Quote:
Not long after the news of the possible acquisition became public, Ars took a look at the technologies and finances involved in a marriage of the CPU and GPU makers. From AMD's perspective, the deal makes sense because it would address a weak spot in the company's lineup: the lack of a complete CPU and chipset solution like Intel has. It would also help AMD in the enthusiast market, as ATI's dual-card Crossfire setup is not supported on the new Intel 965 chipset.............

From a financial standpoint, the deal is definitely doable for AMD. As of the close of trading on Friday, ATI had a market cap of $4.2 billion, while AMD has an $8.84 billion market cap. AMD's latest 8-K filing, dated July 20, 2006 indicates that it has $2.53 billion in cash on hand, making a combined cash and stock acquisition feasible. It's a combination cash and stock deal, where AMD will pay ATI shareholders the equivalent of $20.47 per share—$16.40 of that will be cash, the rest AMD stock.

This will definitely shake up the CPU and graphics card markets. There is no doubt that ATI would continue to develop and sell standalone PCIe-based graphics cards. Buying ATI will eventually free AMD from its current reliance on companies such as VIA for chipsets, as the combined company could churn out chipsets tailored for AMD systems. It will also give it an alternative to Intel's integrated graphics systems. Perhaps most strangely, it could lead to a situation where AMD makes money off the sale of Intel systems with ATI graphics cards.

The deal also gives AMD an entry into the cell phone and digital TV markets, as ATI makes chips for those products.




AMDs current market cap is $1.6 billion. This is $7.2Billion less than their market cap just prior to the purchase of ATI and, disturbingly less than the $2.2 billion they owe on the Senior Notes which come due in 2012.

From AMD itself

AMD Website

Quote:
NEW YORK -- July 24, 2006 --AMD (NYSE: AMD) and ATI (TSX: ATY, NASDAQ: ATYT) today announced plans to join forces in a transaction valued at approximately $5.4 billion. The combination will create a processing powerhouse by bringing AMD’s technology leadership in microprocessors together with ATI’s strengths in graphics, chipsets and consumer electronics. The result: A new and more formidable company, determined to drive growth, innovation and choice for its customers, particularly in the commercial and mobile computing segments and in the rapidly-growing consumer electronics market. Combining technologies, people, and complementary strengths, AMD plans to deliver in 2007 customer-centric platforms for the benefit of customers who want to collaborate in the development of differentiated solutions.

AMD’s acquisition of ATI will position the new company to deliver innovations that fulfill the increasing demand for more integrated solutions in key market segments while also continuing to develop “best-of-breed” discrete products that empower customers to choose the combination of technologies that best serves their needs. In 2008 and beyond, AMD aims to move beyond current technological configurations to transform processing technologies, with silicon-specific platforms that integrate microprocessors and graphics processors to address the growing need for general-purpose, media-centric, data-centric and graphic-centric performance. Thus, the combined company intends to empower its customers to create their own unique products and solutions within an open-innovation ecosystem free from artificial barriers to customer success.


This, quoted from Ruiz himself:

New Kinds of Products to Follow Merger


Quote:
...in a conference call with analysts this morning, Ruiz repeatedly talked about how the deal with offer "growth, innovation, and choice" and said the combination will allow the company to "deliver new customer-centric platforms."


And from the same article, from Dirk Meyers

Quote:
I talked with Meyer this morning, and he elaborated on how he saw the two companies working together to make their individual products better, to make those products work together more optimally on a platform; and then to take the basic processing features each group has in its toolkit, and use them to create something new.

As an example, he cited ATI's Computex demo, which showed how its physics engine performed calculations for graphics much faster than a general-purpose microprocessor. He said the combined company wouldn't have to worry about which was doing the processing, just whatever worked best for the customer.

In particular, he cited gaming, high-performance technical computing, media centric PCs, and consumer electronics (mainly digital TVs) as areas where he thought the combined techniques could produce unique products.

He said he expected the graphics processor (GPU) would remain separate in some markets, notably those that require the fastest 3D rendering, such as high end gaming, "for as long as I can see." But he said in other markets, where you want the lowest cost or the lowest power, it could become a single chip. In particular, he said he could see the combined company creating a platform for the needs of emerging markets through a better job of integrated graphics, consistent with AMD's 50x15 vision.




Nowhere in any of those articles did anyone mention using ATI to "offset debts". And why would they as at the time, AMD was in the black, had a market cap 5 times higher than they do now and they werent billions in debt

Now, if you would be so kind as to provide legitimate proof of your fabricated wikihistory that AMD bought ATI to "offset debts". Dont waste your time....you cant. It doesnt exist.
November 13, 2008 11:40:02 PM

Lol...wow.
November 13, 2008 11:46:18 PM

Who cares about AMD and Intell, don't you all know that it is really all about me! :D 

me me me me.............and when it is no longer about me it will then be about some other joker.


Good job thunderman .....performance boost beyond graphics.....wow......I wonder what the hell that really means......

will it do my laundry?
November 13, 2008 11:49:45 PM

caamsa said:
Who cares about AMD and Intell, don't you all know that it is really all about me! :D 

me me me me.............and when it is no longer about me it will then be about some other joker.


Good job thunderman .....performance boost beyond graphics.....wow......I wonder what the hell that really means......

will it do my laundry?


Lol, the flame is beginning to take off. Another quality Thunderman mudfest. Why does he never participate beyond the opening post himself?
November 13, 2008 11:58:48 PM

caamsa said:
Who cares about AMD and Intell, don't you all know that it is really all about me! :D 

me me me me.............and when it is no longer about me it will then be about some other joker.


Good job thunderman .....performance boost beyond graphics.....wow......I wonder what the hell that really means......

will it do my laundry?



How dare you spread FUD Cam....Its about Exit2Dos ;)  :kaola: 
November 14, 2008 12:10:59 AM

turpit said:
How dare you spread FUD Cam....Its about Exit2Dos ;)  :kaola: 




Egadds..............I never knew.............how selfless of me....................


"All men live enveloped in whale-lines. All are born with halters round their necks; but it is only when caught in the swift, sudden turn of death, that mortals realize the silent, subtle, ever present perils of life."

Melville

November 14, 2008 12:47:48 AM

caamsa said:
Egadds..............I never knew.............how selfless of me....................


"All men live enveloped in whale-lines. All are born with halters round their necks; but it is only when caught in the swift, sudden turn of death, that mortals realize the silent, subtle, ever present perils of life."

Melville



"Ludicrous Speed. GO!"

Dark Helmet
November 14, 2008 1:07:58 AM

I'm sorry but is it just me who sees in the quote that the GPU will work together with the CPU without specifying if the CPU has to be Intel or AMD?

Why am I getting the feeling that this will work on any CPUs, not just AMD ones?
November 14, 2008 1:09:08 AM

Good point icy. I dont see HOW they could make it work on JUST AMD cpus. Im sure they could but...
a b U Graphics card
November 14, 2008 4:09:31 AM

The main focus of this is to open up the usage, and possibly create a standard for these gpgpu usages. Being free, and potentially comes with nice performance gains, it may just do that.

What Im wondering is, when LRB comes out, and we will need to see a few tweaks, and other SW to use it in conjunction, will we hear all this negativity? From what Im seeing, its progress here, maybe itll tkae off, maybe it wont, but it is progress. I know its not from Intel, as they just cant do this, not with these chips, impossible for them to do, but the world isnt just Intel here
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2008 5:13:37 AM



Ok got me laxitives....... reading instructions.... oh these are a bit big -

Not for oral use it says.......

Damit there like aa batteries.......



Oh well at least me and Thunderman will have something in common...

A lot of crap will come out in the end :) 
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 14, 2008 5:16:39 AM

THUNDERMAN!!!!!!!!

Whats up? Haven't seen you in a while. Had to deal with other idiots. But now you are back.

This is great. But whats the use if it doesn't do gaming performance increases? If it was 17x faster gaming I would be all for it.
November 14, 2008 5:59:24 AM

:non: 

(i like emoticon stealing :kaola: 
November 14, 2008 6:09:32 AM

As soon as i saw the announcement i immediately sold all my Intel stock! Which is why Intel went down today. :lol: 
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2008 7:30:33 AM

Oi, its a decent post.

Now if only they made this for Linux and the 690G then I'd be happy.
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2008 9:07:32 AM

amdfangirl said:
Oi, its a decent post.

Now if only they made this for Linux and the 690G then I'd be happy.



Linux whats that a calculator operating system or something...




Deep breath..... Waits for tidle of abuse for Linux fans....
November 14, 2008 10:54:21 AM

Not sure about anyone else, but I find the possibilities behind the original post fairly intriguing. It seems to be first steps towards something new, and "Fusion" may very well be the way of the future. If the CPU is engineered eventually to offload a lot of the basic arithmetic to the GPU, then we can expect major gains in computational power.

The 4870x2 has 2.4 TFLOPS of power in single digit precision, which is way beyond the CPU's out on the market today. Sure, it's massively parallel and hard to optimize for, but what if AMD engineered instructions in their CPU's to re-encode certain types of calculations in an at least moderately optimized way for GPU use, then shuffle it off to the GPU? It is not out of the realm of possibility, especially since they will be putting GPU's in their modular CPU's relatively soon.
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2008 11:57:39 AM

I agree ... thunderman's post is good.

It would be fantastic if it only worked with AMD cpu's as well.

Give them some kind of real reason to actually buy a Phenom I series cpu.

Can't see any other redeeming quality with that dog of a chip.

I'd say the end result would then be some kind of true sysnergy.

November 14, 2008 12:19:56 PM

fazers_on_stun said:
I really think Thunderpants is actually Sharikook. Both allude to Intel being "nervous" or "fatally" injured over some insignificant AMD development, despite Intel raking in huge profits quarter after quarter. And I note that about the same time Thunderpants posted this here, he also posted the same thing on his blog . Coincidence? I think not. So few people visit Sharikook's blog nowadays that he has to come here to stir things up.

Like "Nvidia must die " "AMD owns Nvidia"
All that are emotional words without any prove (not this way to say it)
actually I Like AMD long time ago .
and their Wonderful work with AMD Athlon64 X2 that smash down the stupid processor Pentium 4
without AMD we will not see this advanced PC technology we see it today (waiting for P4 4GHz :pfff:  )
November 14, 2008 12:28:14 PM

Knowing that I think Nvidia has a good shot at getting back up with its partners like ZOTAC, EVGA, XFX, and all the big names.
You never know really.
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2008 6:37:58 PM

salem80 said:
Like "Nvidia must die " "AMD owns Nvidia"
All that are emotional words without any prove (not this way to say it)
actually I Like AMD long time ago .
and their Wonderful work with AMD Athlon64 X2 that smash down the stupid processor Pentium 4
without AMD we will not see this advanced PC technology we see it today (waiting for P4 4GHz :pfff:  )


What these rabid fanbois fools fail to fathom is that their ridiculous rants not only make themselves look silly, but further damage the credibility of the company they favor. Guilt by association. AMD certainly doesn't need Thunderpants peddling their produce and polarizing the population - they need to sell lots of CPUs and GPUs and make some money.

I guess now we need a "Lightningpants" Intel fanbois to make similar hit & run troll posts extolling some silly Intel advantages now... Any volunteers?? :) 
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 14, 2008 7:06:41 PM

FOR THE HORDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2008 1:36:25 AM

:/  thunderman fan club.
November 15, 2008 1:58:10 AM

Reynod said:
I agree ... thunderman's post is good.

It would be fantastic if it only worked with AMD cpu's as well.

Give them some kind of real reason to actually buy a Phenom I series cpu.

Can't see any other redeeming quality with that dog of a chip.

I'd say the end result would then be some kind of true sysnergy.



Seems like the Phenom would be a silly investment next to a 450 dollar video card. Why buy a Ferrari and pull it with sled dogs?
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2008 2:21:58 AM

not much difference between a Q6600 in gaming. The graphics make more diff espically on ultra high res where Phenom sometimes overtakes
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 15, 2008 10:15:00 AM

^But there is in OCing still.

Phenoms are fine if you have a mobo that supports it . But still best CPu for brand spankin new is the Q6600. Until the Q955/Q9650 comes to the same price level. I think I might upgrade to a Q9650 when it is cheap enough just to be able to OC past 3GHz easier. And also to make my system last longer.
November 15, 2008 3:08:48 PM

I see alot of folks selling the 9450's in the 200 dollar range. Used price of course which isnt a good investment if you look on ebay right NOW and see the i7 920's for 289.
November 15, 2008 4:19:22 PM

fazers_on_stun said:
What these rabid fanbois fools fail to fathom is that their ridiculous rants not only make themselves look silly, but further damage the credibility of the company they favor. Guilt by association. AMD certainly doesn't need Thunderpants peddling their produce and polarizing the population - they need to sell lots of CPUs and GPUs and make some money.

I guess now we need a "Lightningpants" Intel fanbois to make similar hit & run troll posts extolling some silly Intel advantages now... Any volunteers?? :) 

Ok sillyboy
do remember P4 when come out on 1.3 GHz(Willamette) from 2000~ 2006 3.4 GHz Cedar Mill
without AMD we will never see dual core Processors 2003 (Athlon 64 X2)
or u forget the disaster PentiumD First Intel dual core (not really dual core )
AMD made the technology and Intel Copy it (X2....HT..memory controller etc ).
.
November 15, 2008 4:50:38 PM

salem80 said:
Ok sillyboy
do remember P4 when come out on 1.3 GHz(Willamette) from 2000~ 2006 3.4 GHz Cedar Mill
without AMD we will never see dual core Processors 2003 (Athlon 64 X2)
or u forget the disaster PentiumD First Intel dual core (not really dual core )
AMD made the technology and Intel Copy it (X2....HT..memory controller etc ).
.


So you are saying that if AMD wasn’t there Intel would have kept pushing Netburst to the market even though, thermal and electrical limitations were very apparent? By that you are also saying that hyper transport which was a development of a consortium of partners not AMD itself would have some how never been developed or even attempted by Intel? You are aware that CSI and HT do work similar in functionality but not in implementations right? As for the memory controller I do believe AMD's implementation is that of a modified Alpha memory controller, in fact last I checked AMD's gunning frequency is that of EV6 which also happens to be strikingly similar to the Alpha's gunning as well. Now they did a fantastic job at re-implementing the technology to suit their solution but don’t confuse purchased IP and home grown IP; oh almost forgot to mention Timna.

Now I know you’re just a brain dead troll but I am in a good mood so bare with me.

Word, Playa.

November 15, 2008 8:55:54 PM

turpit said:
How dare you spread FUD Cam....Its about Exit2Dos ;)  :kaola: 


There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness. :pt1cable: 
November 15, 2008 9:00:01 PM

amdfangirl said:
:/ thunderman fan club.


I'd join in a heartbeat... I find him refreshing and amusing :na:  kind of like a three-legged dog.
November 16, 2008 12:52:58 AM

exit2dos said:
There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness. :pt1cable: 



Thank God. I would hate to see what Cam would charge us. :kaola: 
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2008 2:30:14 AM

Heres a few tidbits http://www.rage3d.com/articles/stream/index.php? Heres some interesting parts of the R3D inerview "ATI Stream Team: Brook+ effectively provides a highly level access to our GPU’s, similar to CUDA, and is valid for many requirements at this point in time. "

But what I find MOST interesting, and counter to what most are saying is this "Going forward we are obviously heavily involved in open/collaborative solutions, such as DirectX 10/11 Compute Shaders and OpenCL. Additionally we are looking to provide an easy transition path from Brook+ to OpenCL, which we will disclose more details on at a future date."

I think its a good idea, has potential, and for free, will get picked up by many SW makers, and used alot, possibly creating a standard, which is ATIs main purpose here
!