Palm OS pda's

January 11, 2005 8:17:05 AM

Besides palm brand what PDA's operate with palm OS. I want a new one and it
appears that handspring is now owned by palm. Do I have any choice other
than palm?
Thanks
Howard

---

More about : palm pda

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 8:20:06 AM

On Mon 10 Jan 2005 09:17:05p, Howard Nelson, wrote:

> Besides palm brand what PDA's operate with palm OS. I want a new one
> and it appears that handspring is now owned by palm. Do I have any
> choice other than palm?
> Thanks
> Howard

The Sony Clie's run on the Palm OS.

--
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"

In article <Xns95DAD908CAD41ezboard1lycoscom@130.133.1.4>,
RonB <ronbNOSPAM@bliz.org> wrote:

> On Mon 10 Jan 2005 09:17:05p, Howard Nelson, wrote:
>
> > Besides palm brand what PDA's operate with palm OS. I want a new one
> > and it appears that handspring is now owned by palm. Do I have any
> > choice other than palm?
> > Thanks
> > Howard
>
> The Sony Clie's run on the Palm OS.

Get 'em while you can...Sony's pulling them out of the American market.
January 11, 2005 10:45:27 AM

On Mon 10 Jan 2005 10:29:16p, Steve Hix, wrote:

> Get 'em while you can...Sony's pulling them out of the American market.

Thanks for the tip.

--
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 7:47:17 PM

A list of PalmSource licensees using the PalmOS may be had at
http://palmsource.com/licensees/
and there are quite a few more than Sony.

Not to say Sony's a bad deal... I'd gladly buy an European TH-55 off eBay
for the right price (but skip the North American-UK model, as it does not
have both WiFi and BlueTooth).

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 05:17:05 GMT, "Howard Nelson" <htnelsonvip@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>Besides palm brand what PDA's operate with palm OS. I want a new one and it
>appears that handspring is now owned by palm. Do I have any choice other
>than palm?
>Thanks
>Howard
>

>---

January 12, 2005 2:20:55 AM

"Howard Nelson" <htnelsonvip@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Besides palm brand what PDA's operate with palm OS. I want a new one and
> it
> appears that handspring is now owned by palm. Do I have any choice other
> than palm?
> Thanks
> Howard
>

> ---

Garmin has greate model caled iQue, it has GPS integrated hires screen and
its greate, excelent support and excelent gps routing software etc. and it
is USA product.

I own one and wouldnt change it for anything else

Anonymous
January 12, 2005 2:20:56 AM

"kozmos241" <antonio.meic(makni)@zg.htnet.hr> wrote in message

> "Howard Nelson" <htnelsonvip@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> > Besides palm brand what PDA's operate with palm OS. I want a new one and
> > it
> > appears that handspring is now owned by palm. Do I have any choice other
> > than palm?
> > Thanks
> > Howard
> >

> > ---
>
> Garmin has greate model caled iQue, it has GPS integrated hires screen and
> its greate, excelent support and excelent gps routing software etc. and it
> is USA product.
>
> I own one and wouldnt change it for anything else

Actually I really don't want camera, phone, gps, mp3, video, games. Just
datebook, notes and address. I have had m100 and m105 in the past and they
met my needs. I would get a zire 31 but both previous palms have started
having screen problems early in their lives and eventually became unusable
because of screen problems. So what I am looking for is a simple 8-16MB pda
with good build. The Sony Clie 25 seemed to meet my needs but is no longer
made.
I find it interesting that NIB Clie 25's on ebay sell for more than the
newer model PDA's so there must be a market out there for a simple product.
I have the same problem with cell phones. I am in the market for a cell
phone to replace my 3 year old model but again don't want the energy
overhead (short battery charge life) associated with camera and GPS
functions which I don't need. It is harder and harder to find a simple
phone. (end of rant)

Thanks for advice from group
I probably will get a sony clie 25 if I can find a NIB for a reasonable
price.
Howard

---
January 12, 2005 10:59:27 AM

In article <fFYEd.10444$5R.7744@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>, Howard Nelson
wrote:
> Actually I really don't want camera, phone, gps, mp3, video, games. Just
> datebook, notes and address. I have had m100 and m105 in the past and they
> met my needs... So what I am looking for is a simple 8-16MB pda
> with good build.

You might do well with a IIIxe. They seem to last a while, have 8MB, etc.
Not too expensive on eBay, either. The main problem with recent PDAs is
the color screens, they just eat juice, especially when you have to add a
backlight to see them properly. And nobody makes a grayscale-screen PDA
anymore.

My handheld (a Handera 330) was recently stolen, and I looked all over
for potential upgrades. And I was willing to look at geek toys and
gimmicks, too. But the only ones with enough gadgets to tempt me (e.g.
the Sony NX80 or TH55) were out of my budget range. I ended up getting
a new H330 off of eBay. Does what I need, a decent chunk of what I want
(it actually works moderately well with a WiFi card), and I don't have
to ration battery time.

--
Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

"If decisive but massive killing actually stopped the other side,
Israel would be as peaceful as Omaha by now." - elmegil
January 12, 2005 5:30:27 PM

Per Ray Ingles:
> My handheld (a Handera 330) was recently stolen, and I looked all over
>for potential upgrades.

I've been through a couple of PDA's since giving my 330 to my son-in-law.
Current one is a Sony Clie NX-70. The camera, MP3 player, photo-enabled
address book, and picture viewer seemed really neat when I got it. But I soon
realized that 1 megapixel wasn't enough to capture a whiteboard (or much else,
for that matter); that the photo displays took forever to load; that the photo
software wasn't all that wonderful; and that the mp3 ability was soon to be
totally eclipsed by an iPod.

Personally, I'd willingly go back to the HandEra....for the battery life that
you mentioned and also for the dual-mode battery operation (AAA's in a pinch,
rechargable battery most of the time). Color is nice, but not as nice as a
week or so on a single charge and *really* fast response.

--
PeteCresswell
Anonymous

Ray Ingles <sorceror@dmc22317.local> wrote:

>In article <fFYEd.10444$5R.7744@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>, Howard Nelson
>wrote:
>> Actually I really don't want camera, phone, gps, mp3, video, games. Just
>> datebook, notes and address. I have had m100 and m105 in the past and they
>> met my needs... So what I am looking for is a simple 8-16MB pda
>> with good build.
>
>And nobody makes a grayscale-screen PDA anymore.

Palm still makes the Zire21 which has a mono screen and 8 Meg of memory and is
similar in capability to the IIIxe/m105. The screen is the size of the m105. The
battery is rechargeable. I've not heard how good the battery life is, but it's
probably not quite as good as the IIIxe/m105 were, but likely still a lot better
than the color models. The rechargeable battery doesn't have as large a mAh
rating as the alkalines and the processor is modern and of a much higher speed
than the IIIxe/m105's (now paltry) 16MHz so would probably draw more current.
Still at a new price of US$99 it might be just what the OP wants/needs...
January 13, 2005 2:21:59 AM

I agree. My TRGpro is still going strong after years of use. I have
tried other products... even went "dark side" for a few months but I
keep returning to the TRG.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 10:33:00 AM

In article <qgabu01glius40sjvmd57dl9lhltu37ffh@4ax.com>, AaronJ wrote:
> Ray Ingles <sorceror@dmc22317.local> wrote:
>>And nobody makes a grayscale-screen PDA anymore.
>
> Palm still makes the Zire21 which has a mono screen and 8 Meg of memory and is
> similar in capability to the IIIxe/m105... and the processor is modern and of
> a much higher speed...

Interesting, I'd never even looked at a Zire 21. I'd assumed it was still
using the Dragonball tech. I wouldn't have expected them to put an ARM-based
processor in there. That's a decent amount of power for their intended
audience.

The screen doesn't have a backlight, and it's missing a couple of buttons,
but other than that it's kind of like an updated IIIxe. Cute.

--
Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

"Sure, it's easy to achieve partial obfuscation through pure
stupidity, but for complete, systematic retardation, you need
hard working great thinkers that put their best effort into
it." - Fredrik Johansson, on Windows NT
!