dazmandaz

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
hi guys need some advice plz ,which H.D do i go for?

first of i mainly use my pc for gaming, gaming and finaly more gaming :)
my m8 has got the velociraptor 150gb and hes always first in the game and says it boots up really quickly so i fancy some of this plz .
but after speaking to another m8 he said i would be better with the:

seagate barracuddua 7000.12

samsung f3 spin point

he says get 2 of them and raid 0 them, it would be quicker than a single velociraptor,would this make my machine load/boot quicker?
the reason for 2 is,it would cost the same price as 1 velociraptor and more storage as to the 1 velociraptor

also would only 1 of those drives be quicker on there own compared to the velociraptor?

i had a look at this chart here :http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-hard-drive-charts/h2benchw-3.12-Avg-Read-Throughput,1010.html

would there be a difference if i used the 1tb f3 spinpoint as apposed to the 500gb version??

same question for the seagate barracuda7000.12 use the 500gb option or 1tb?

or should i just get the 1 single velociraptor and be done with it??

on a side note if i do the 2 drive raid option i would have a single 320 stand alone to drop important docs and stuff into to back up ,so loss of data if it happens in raid wont matter to much .

any help/info would be much appreciated thx :)

snurp85

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
The difference between hard drives with respect to game load time is going to be minimal. All of the drives are capable of accessing files in 4-10ms depending on the drive, which would hardly be noticeable if this were the only cause for load time. While each drive does have a slightly different Average Read Throughput, all of them are between 60-125Mb/s, which unless you are loading maps that are 10+ Gb, you should not notice much of a difference.

If you are that concerned about load times, overclock your cpu a bit making sure you have a good heatsink, or just get a faster computer.

That said, a velociraptor is always nice to have and is a much simpler solution than setting up a raid array.

dazmandaz

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
thx for the posts guys but it doesnt really answer my questions really :)

quick recap of questions :)

will 2 f3 1tb spin points in raid 0 be quicker than a single velociraptor??

would a single f3 spin point be better than a single velociraptor ?

should i stop fussing about and just get a single velociraptor?

and on the chart i linked it shows the f3 spin point 500gb will the 1tb be the same ?? will the 1tb be slower than the 500gb cos of platters??

i am a pure noob on this stuff hence im asking you guys :)

and please dont put scrap all that and get a S.S.D drive because i know they are superrior but so is there price :) soo ssd is way of the radar for me till later in the year or next year
when the price drops :)

and as for the oc suggestion thats on my radar to do :)
sytem specs are
q8300 @2.5ghz
gygabyte p35 ds3
Ati 4890
4gb ddr800
tried to oc but my cheap ass psu made of cow poo cant handle it :)<<<< upgrade soon

thx again guys for any help or info :)

If you want fast load times at boot, and game starts, and level loads, yes the 2 spinpoints in RAID 0 would be faster than a Velociraptor.
BUTTTTTT, now listen up here, we are trying to tell you something very important. Your processor, by most gaming standards, IS slow my friend.
If you can bump it up to around 3 ghz, you are going to see a pretty nice improvement as well. Your processor will do that quite easily you know. Do that first, and see what happens before you spend money on the drives and RAID setup.

dazmandaz

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
thx for the reply jit :)

thx for clearing up the 2spin point (raid0) v 1 velociraptor

would 1 spin point be on par with velocirapter or would i need to go the 2 raid set up to be quicker?

also is there a difference between the 500gb version and the 1tb version spin point?

but as you can see at the bottom of my post oc is on the cards, soon as i try to up it from 333 i just get the bsod this im asuming is down to my cheap psu ,

also you say my processor is slow but when gaming and stuff at the moment its not even being pushed to the limit,so would an extra 500mhz really make that much of an improv ement?
at the min i think its an 8mb 360 cheappy hd i got, so i would see more of a benifit from a hd upgrade at the moment than a 500mhz processor oc?

sorry to be a pain just trying to get some facts and figures before i choose, beacause at the end of the day its all about the budget;)

velociraptor= £150

spin point f3 =£65 or in raid £130 (and faster than velociraptor)

1x spin point f3 and 1 psu= £140 <<<< only if spin point on par with velociraptor can raid later the spin points (and oc to 3ghz)

i think this what im trying to choose what to do if that makes it any easier as to my goals :)

The single Veliciraptor would be a little faster. But believe me, it's not enough difference to justify the price. Raptors have always been overpriced, and many drives today, like the spin point are so close in performance to them, paying for a Velociraptor is ridiculous.
Make sure your memory is not running out of spec when you do your overclock.

dazmandaz

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
thx again for the reply jit :)

i think im swaying heavily to the single spin pointf3 new psu combo and then oc option ,i have a akasa big blue so cooling is not a prob,

as for my memory running out of spec i dont know lol i know its set at 400 mhz i think lol ,
cas#latency 5.0
ras#to cas# 5
ras#precharge 5
tras 18
trc 23
volt 1.8v

thats what cpu-z says

tbh its a bit of a foreign language to me :)

im gonna post on the oc forum as not to cross contaminate my info lol

so dont rply to my post in overclocking or i will hound you :)