Sign in with
Your question

GTX 280 and OSX

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 20, 2008 9:56:51 PM

I really wanna try to do a dual boot with Vista and OSX but I know I would somehow need to get Mac drivers for my GTX 280 and I haven't been able to find anything

even remotely helpful. If anyone could give me any links or suggestions on how to get it working that would really help.

(I've already read almost the entire OSX 86 Wiki and the only thing that they don't mention is drivers for any Nvidia card greater than 8800's)

THANKS-Chris

More about : gtx 280 osx

September 20, 2008 10:02:18 PM

you'd have to wait a good while....
September 20, 2008 10:33:33 PM

I don't think Mac even supports the GT200's yet. The highest "gaming" card I've seen on their systems is an 8800GT lol.
Related resources
September 20, 2008 10:42:55 PM

You'll have to code the drivers yourself, Nvidia nor Apple supports anything higher than the 8800GT for OSX
September 21, 2008 2:26:37 AM

Why would you even go through the trouble? Everything a mac can do, a PC can do cheaper. OSX can't even try to use that much GPU power.
September 21, 2008 2:35:37 AM

frozenlead said:
Why would you even go through the trouble? Everything a mac can do, a PC can do cheaper. OSX can't even try to use that much GPU power.

All the heavy games don't run on Mac, so there is no reason for them to give it driver support, as the demand is nonexistent.
September 21, 2008 3:46:40 AM

I'm not doing it for the games (obviously) I could get OSX on another pc I

have but this is the computer I use 95% of the time so I would like to get it

to work.

Suppose Apple releases GTX 280's for the Mac Pro's, wouldn't I just be able

to get the drivers straight from Nvidia then?
September 21, 2008 3:48:44 AM

Apple isnt exactly big on gaming... its still only supporting the 8800GT max last I checked. You'll have to wait a long, long time for them to support it.
September 21, 2008 4:02:47 AM

What about CUDA doesn't that support OSX so there has to be a use for a GTX 280 on a Mac
September 21, 2008 5:32:25 AM

Even if CUDA ran, which it doesn't, what would you use it for? You could make movies - that's about it.

@ dagger - I know, that's why I'm saying it's useless.

Just use windows. Sure, it sucks sometimes, but there's so much more you can do with it over OSX.
September 21, 2008 5:51:29 AM

Thanks you've just killed it, its not like I was switching to OSX or anything I just wanted to play around with it. I guess I'll end up messing around with my 2 year old dell to try and get it to work.
September 21, 2008 6:13:33 PM

Trust me, you and your wallet are better off that way.
September 21, 2008 11:48:22 PM

He's doing a Hackintosh for all you nay sayers, so he isn't putting any extra money into it. Currently, like you mentioned there's no way to get the 280GTX to work in OSX.

Does OSX have some sort of default generic display driver? Because if it does and you are able to display the resolution and refresh rate you want with it, then it's not a big deal, since you won't be doing gaming or anything else that takes a decent GPU.
September 22, 2008 1:34:28 AM

IndigoMoss said:
He's doing a Hackintosh for all you nay sayers, so he isn't putting any extra money into it. Currently, like you mentioned there's no way to get the 280GTX to work in OSX.

Does OSX have some sort of default generic display driver? Because if it does and you are able to display the resolution and refresh rate you want with it, then it's not a big deal, since you won't be doing gaming or anything else that takes a decent GPU.

That might work but I tried to get ubuntu working a couple months ago and I couldn't get internet to work so I couldn't update any drivers so I wan't able to change the resolution to anything above 800x600.
September 22, 2008 2:44:24 PM

Putting hardware into a machine that can't use it is a waste of cash, IMO.
September 24, 2008 6:37:07 PM

I'm dual booting OS X and Vista on with my GTX260.
You don't get 3d acceleration in OS X. But it boots fine using the VESA 3.0 drivers.

I had to manually set the resolution to 1680x1050 in a video driver file.
I miss my ATI 2600xt when booted into OS X, it had full Quartz Extreme and Core Image support.

BTW, I'm using a Gigabyte EP35-DS3R and E8400 processor for my hackintosh setup.

Check out osx86project.org for more technical answers.
September 25, 2008 2:52:27 AM

superj said:
I'm dual booting OS X and Vista on with my GTX260.
You don't get 3d acceleration in OS X. But it boots fine using the VESA 3.0 drivers.

I had to manually set the resolution to 1680x1050 in a video driver file.
I miss my ATI 2600xt when booted into OS X, it had full Quartz Extreme and Core Image support.

BTW, I'm using a Gigabyte EP35-DS3R and E8400 processor for my hackintosh setup.

Check out osx86project.org for more technical answers.

I didn't even think about it but I don't think my EVGA 750i FTW is even compatable. At least it doesn't say anything about it on the OSX 86 page.
September 26, 2008 12:08:54 AM

superj said:
Here is CUDA for OS X:
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/development_tools...

The chipset on your motherboard is more important than the exact model when building a hackintosh.

I knew CUDA worked for OSX, now the only problem is that I would need an nvidia driver in the first place to get CUDA to work, right. I couldn't just use the VESA drivers and install CUDA.
!