First hard drive not detected on initial boot

kjm782

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2008
I recently purchased 2 Seagate ES.2 750gb drives. The problem I am having is that the first hard drive is not detected when I initially start the computer. If I then restart the computer (either with a hard reset or by going into the BIOS and then exiting so that it goes through the POST process again) it is detected fine.

I have tried changing the power cables and SATA cables. I have also reversed the order that the drives are plugged in. It doesn't matter what I do, the hard drive that is plugged into the lowest SATA slot is not detected. If I go into the BIOS and do an autodetect of the hard drives the first drive shows up as only 136gb. I have also tried plugging a third hard drive (also a Seagate, but an older model) into a SATA slot ahead of my ES.2 drives and the old drive is detected but the first of the new drives is not.

I tried flashing the BIOS to the newest version but that hasn't fixed it. I am assuming this is a motherboard issue because it doesn't matter which drive, it only seems to be affected by the order in which they are plugged in. I looked at the SMART data on the drives and I don't see any problems.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 (rev. 2.0)
http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2539

Does anyone have any suggestions?

G

I have the same motherboard and have had the same problem. You need to enable raid in the bios, just do not define an array. That's what fixed it for me.