Sign in with
Your question

cpu or motherboard problem??

Last response: in CPUs
November 14, 2008 8:08:49 AM

Hi Guys,
I would really appreciate some experienced opinions. I am very experienced with IT both hardware and software but feel that a few suggestions from some fellow techs could help me. Anyway I had a build consisting of the following.
fp-in9 sli mobo
penmtium d 915 2.83ghz
ati x1950 512mb
3gb crucial ballistix ram

I decided to upgrade and bought a core 2 quad q9550 E0 stepping version. Immediately I ran into problems as the abit website had said that it supported the q9550 when in fact the temps are all wrong for the e0 version. Anyway I installed the update for the board posted by the guy from Abit at their forums and all seemed good. The temps seem fine and I started to install a fresh copy of windows xp pro sp3. I can go all the way through the initial install process, i.e. formatting , copying files, but when I restart to actually begin the install process, the windows boot screen comes up and the blue loading icon moves for about 5 seconds then it goes to blue screen error(the actual error changes from time to time(irql_not_less_or_equal) is common though). My question is, is this likely to be a faulty processor or is the board bad. I have checked the ram and its fine. Surely if I can go through the loading , formatting copying process without problem the cpu must be fine. If it is the board thats wrong I can replace it, my main concern is to find out if its the processor so I can return it. I would really appreciate your help quickly guys. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Cheers,
Bar. :pfff: 
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 14, 2008 8:51:14 AM

Sounds like the install hasn't run properly or become corrupted. Have you tried reformatting the HDD and reinstalling Windows?
November 14, 2008 8:55:40 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. Ya I have tried all formatting and install options multiple times. I have swapped out the ram with a different stick, their is a fair indication online that Abit are struggling to support the E0's. My main concern is determining that the processor is OK. Would you think this is so if I can get that far through the install process.
Cheers
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 14, 2008 9:46:56 AM

Just for the heck of it, try underclocking the CPU to 300mhz on the buss and see if that makes any difference.
Check how hot the northbridge is getting.
I have heard that the 650i chipset (I think that is what you have if my memory serves me) may have stability issues with buss speeds over 300mhz, and that the north bridge will run really hot.
November 16, 2008 8:11:11 PM

Hi Guys,
This matter has been solved. I have confirmed that the cpu and other hardware is perfect. I used a live disk and it ran fine. There seems to be a problem with the sata controllers on the board. Anyway the board is proving to be a bit buggy for my liking so I have upgraded to an asus P5E3. Thanks for the suggestions.
Cheers,
Barry
:bounce: 
!