Sign in with
Your question

First Intel Core i7 940 System On newegg

Last response: in CPUs
November 14, 2008 11:30:20 AM

Wish I had the cash to chunk down, but I still think I would rather build my own.

November 14, 2008 11:35:16 AM

Yeah it looks OK, even if a little pricey, but it bugs me that they don't tell you which motherboard it is. All it says is that it's x58 (duh, the only chipset that supports i7).
Related resources
November 14, 2008 12:00:34 PM

If you look at the pics, its an ASUS board. They also show a **** XION 800W PSU and it only has the stock HSF on there. For the price yer payin there, I certainly wouldnt feel good about the PSU and I would hope that they would atleast throw a nice HSF on there because if yer gonna spend that cash, you should atleast try and OC it a little. Sure you can replase the HSF, but if they are going to build my CPU, id rather not have to take it all apart. Wire management looked shotty too.
November 14, 2008 12:41:12 PM

petevsdrm said:
Yeah it looks OK, even if a little pricey, but it bugs me that they don't tell you which motherboard it is. All it says is that it's x58 (duh, the only chipset that supports i7).

It's possibly ASUS P6T Deluxe

mi1ez said:
Would rather have the Scan 3XS...

http://www.custompc.co.uk/reviews/605118/scan-3xs-x58-c...

Me too .
I'm always supporter Core i7-920 .because it's compared to QX9770 :D  .
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2008 6:16:12 PM

Funny, official release isn't until Monday, correct?

Anybody spot any Shanghai's for sale on Newegg yet? They were supposedly released already.
November 14, 2008 6:21:35 PM

fazers_on_stun said:
Funny, official release isn't until Monday, correct?

Anybody spot any Shanghai's for sale on Newegg yet? They were supposedly released already.

I think you will Shanghai single units later, maybe late this month, in retailers. Most are being used by vendors like Dell, HP, Sun, etc. to make servers. I looked at different retailers and did not see Shanghai for sale, but that is normal, as OEMs will be first in line.

Look again, around the week of Thanksgiving (Nov. 24) and see if there are any Shanghai CPUs available at retail sites.
November 14, 2008 6:30:18 PM

Did they take it down? I can't seem to find it.
November 14, 2008 10:58:51 PM

Newegg puts up ridiculous prices so you don't buy the products before they're out. Once the i7 comes out next week, the price will drop by at least half (most likely more).
!