Sign in with
Your question

GA-EP35-DS3 BIOS update failed, now wont boot

Last response: in Motherboards
December 14, 2008 5:45:21 AM

Due to some problems with my Ram I tried to update my bios using @BIOS, the update worked, but when the computer restarted it now wont load.

It gets through the "Press del to enter setup, end for qflash" screen, checks my memory, but then crashes and restarts itself.

I've tried winding back my bios and using QFLASH to convert it back to version 1, but the same thing's happening.

I tried booting vista from my install DVD but that wont work either

rest of my computer specs are

Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit
e8400 @ 3.0ghz
4gb G.SKILL DDRII Ram @ 1066mhz
512mb GeForce 8800gts
December 14, 2008 6:13:01 AM

Default the BIOS manually, with the shorting pins or battery removal. Never use @BIOS only Qflash. If the manual default fails try to update the BIOS again with Qflash. If your RAM is not working properly then you will have a hard time updating the BIOS. Strip out all RAM but one stick and all other peripherals except the VGA, and try to boot into the BIOS. Other than that, I think it's new mobo time.
December 14, 2008 6:47:30 AM

already removed all peripherals and just tried shorting the battery (following the mobo manual directions) now when I turn my pc on, the VGA fan spins, my case fans spin, my cpu fan spins, then the pc restarts. Nothing else

think i've gone backwards
Related resources
December 14, 2008 2:46:04 PM

Try booting with no RAM and then put one stick back in and see if it will boot.
a b V Motherboard
December 14, 2008 2:58:27 PM

You used @BIOS! NEVER FLASH BIOS THROUGH WINDOWS!
December 14, 2008 5:42:40 PM

still nothing zorg, I dont even get the single beep to say the systems booted.

Only just now it's started beeping continuously when I turn it on which is apparantly associated to power. Everything's plugged in tho so i'm unsure of what it can be
December 14, 2008 9:47:14 PM

Yeah it's not even getting to POST now, so no idea
December 14, 2008 10:38:00 PM

If none of that worked I think your screwed. Get another mobo and send that one back to be flashed by Gigabyte and keep it as a spare or sell it, unless you are willing to wait.

Don't flash your mobo if you have a problem with your RAM and always use Qflash. Never flash through Windows no matter how many people say it worked for them, it's risky.
December 14, 2008 11:37:42 PM

Did you go into BIOS and say load fail safe settings or default settings or what ever it is? You have to do that after a flash BEFORE you try to get into your OS. Not sure if that was your problem or not but it sounds too late now.

Hey we can send our boards in together. I flashed my X38 BIOS to F3 because F1 wouldn't run my RAM at CAS 4. It worked for the RAM but it killed my CPU scores for some reason and wouldn't run crossfire. Tried to go back to F1 and locked it up. I am sending it to Gigabyte to get some new BIOS chips. YAY.
a c 177 V Motherboard
December 15, 2008 12:31:56 AM

Jeeze - EVERY time I post my standard warning about @BIOS, three or four people have to chime in with "I've been using it for years without a problem" or "burned twelve boards just yesterday" - yeah, that's fine, but you're living on borrowed time - it's all great until you brick one! See:
http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios-flashing-how-qflas...
and I quote:

Please DO NOT USE @BIOS!!

This cannot be stressed enough. I know Gigabyte is working on it, but as of now I cannot recommend using it AT ALL.

I have seen so many Boards killed (IE: Bricked, that is your motherboard is now a brick and you will have to RMA your board) by using @BIOS. I would guess that more then 90% of RMA's due to a bad flash, were because of @BIOS alone.

Yes it may work for you once or twice but if you keep using it you will find out the hard way it is not a good idea. Windows based flashing has always been looked down on and likely will never be a accepted or recommended method to flash a BIOS
December 15, 2008 1:43:22 AM

going to be akward sending it back to gigabyte as they dont have a branch over here (NZ), have taken it back to the place I bought it from and am hoping they can sort it out
December 15, 2008 3:28:45 PM

Good luck.
April 18, 2009 9:16:30 PM

i have completely same situation flashed through windows.... restarted.
cpu fan works and restarts all over again

tried CMOS reset by pins and by batery removal nothing works , which i think its logical - seems that BIOS itself is lost.. is there anything what i could do ????

like flash bios from whatever external dunno... anything? huge headache..
April 18, 2009 9:16:50 PM

i have completely same situation flashed through windows.... restarted.
cpu fan works and restarts all over again

tried CMOS reset by pins and by batery removal nothing works , which i think its logical - seems that BIOS itself is lost.. is there anything what i could do ????

like flash bios from whatever external dunno... anything? huge headache..
April 29, 2009 9:43:26 PM

try reset the settings of bios by pins or remove battrey
April 29, 2009 9:45:15 PM

or you damaged the bios you canat restore it because you dont have two chips one main and second for restore like the brand new motherboards
!