Your question

My new build, a second opinion please

Last response: in Systems
August 26, 2008 8:49:42 PM

I'm going to build a new pc and this is the parts I've picked:

Corsair Dominator TWIN2X8500C5D 4096MB, DDR2,2x2GB
Intel core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz, socket 775, 1333Mhz
Asus P5E WS PRO, X38, Socket-775, DDR2, ATX, Firewire, 2xPCI-Ex(2.0)x16

CHIEFTEC PSU Turbo Series 850W ATX 12V 2.2/ EPS-12V w/14cm Fan PFC Cable Management PSU Retail (CFT-850-14C)
or
Corsair Powesupply 750W Black, ATX/EPS, 140mm fan, 8xSATA, SLI

Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB, SATA2, 32MB Cache, 7200RPM
Creative SB0886 X-Fi Titanium, Fatal1ty Pro series, pci-e

Asus engtx280 oc/htdi/1g
or
Asus engtx280 top/htdp/1g

So I just wonder:
1) what psu would you recommend of those two..the price difference is very small
2)Will my Mobo be good enough for this system?
3)which graphic card...the OC model has lower clock rate but has dvi-hdmi support and it comes with a s/pdif cable (Wohoo!) and the TOP model has higher clock rate but no dvi--hdmi support..that's the only difference so I'm a bit unsure which one to pick :) 

Just want to get a second opion..or 3 or 4 :D 

Cheers :) 

Gnaldurson

More about : build opinion

August 26, 2008 9:02:50 PM

the 750w psu would be fine, and its one of the best psu's on the market

i would get a P45 based mobo, such as the asus p5q deluxe

and i don't know about nvidia cards, i would just go with 2 4850's if you have the money
August 26, 2008 9:37:54 PM

if you are only getting 1 card go with the p45. if you don't go nvidia and want to crossfire then go with the x38/x48 mobo.

i would recommend getting the computer and trying onboard before getting the soundcard. onboard is much improved and not the crapfest it used to be. if at that point you decide it isn't cutting it then upgrade. there have been a lot of issues with x-fi and vista but supposedly most have been fixed.

PSU major brand is a must. Corsair, pc power and cooling, antec are examples. do not get chieftec. there is a reason 100w more costs the same. if you go with a single gpu then 750w is plenty and that corsair is a great psu.

gpu choice(s): what is the use of your computer? if gaming what kind of games? what resolution of monitor do you have? all of these will play a major role in what gpu is best. and deciding on that will help to decide on mobo (single vs. sli vs crossfire).
Related resources
August 26, 2008 9:57:49 PM

l_ght said:
the 750w psu would be fine, and its one of the best psu's on the market

i would get a P45 based mobo, such as the asus p5q deluxe

and i don't know about nvidia cards, i would just go with 2 4850's if you have the money

Thanks, yeah I had set my mind on that psu as well but it's always good to get other input :) 

Gnaldurson
August 26, 2008 9:58:00 PM

Change out the P5E WS PRO motherboard to the ASUS P5E Deluxe X48 motherboard. It should even be less expensive. (unless of course you DO happen to have a PCI-X card that you need to use)

You are listing a Crossfire (X38/X48) motherboard and SLI video card (GTX280) and that is a mismatch. It means you plan to only run 1 video card in your PC. A single video card is not a problem, you just can't run two GTX280 in a Crossfire MB.

For a single GTX280 the Corsair 650TX would be enough power.
As bdollar said, for a single video card you could save even more with a P45 (Asus P5Q) motherboard

Change out the QX9550 for the less expensive QX9450 - you'd hardly notice the difference in performance.

I'd go with the HDMI support video card if you're at all interested in HD movie playback. You can always tweak the card to a higher OC'd setting.
August 26, 2008 9:59:04 PM

bdollar said:
if you are only getting 1 card go with the p45. if you don't go nvidia and want to crossfire then go with the x38/x48 mobo.

i would recommend getting the computer and trying onboard before getting the soundcard. onboard is much improved and not the crapfest it used to be. if at that point you decide it isn't cutting it then upgrade. there have been a lot of issues with x-fi and vista but supposedly most have been fixed.

PSU major brand is a must. Corsair, pc power and cooling, antec are examples. do not get chieftec. there is a reason 100w more costs the same. if you go with a single gpu then 750w is plenty and that corsair is a great psu.

gpu choice(s): what is the use of your computer? if gaming what kind of games? what resolution of monitor do you have? all of these will play a major role in what gpu is best. and deciding on that will help to decide on mobo (single vs. sli vs crossfire).

Sorry, I forgot to say what I was going to use the comp for..hehe..was in a bit hurry to post ;) 

I will use the computer for gaming like crysis and rts games and Medivel Total war II.
Also Adobe software like Photoshop, Illustrator and After effects +++ (CS3 master collection)
I also have a Benq g2400wd monitor running at 1900x1200

I also don't have any plan to buy a 2nd graphic card....
(but you never know..4 months later.. :lol:  )

Gnaldur
August 26, 2008 10:08:06 PM

nice build looks alot like my new build. I would recommend getting 2 ATI HD4850 over a 280. And for a PSU go with corsair don,t even think about getting the Chieftech:p  and if a budget allows it I would switch out you mobo for a X48
August 26, 2008 10:09:04 PM

And also..I've set my mind on this cabinet
NZXT LEXA Blackline
I'm wondering if the graphic card will fit in there
August 26, 2008 10:15:17 PM

Okie, I've updated my build to this now...so far:

Intel core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz, socket 775, 1333Mhz
Asus P5E WS PRO, X38, Socket-775, DDR2, ATX, Firewire, 2xPCI-Ex(2.0)x16
maybe Creative SB0886 X-Fi Titanium, Fatal1ty Pro series, pci-e

Asus engtx280 oc/htdi/1g
or
Asus engtx280 top/htdp/1g

3)which graphic card...the OC model has lower clock rate but has dvi-hdmi support and it comes with a s/pdif cable (Wohoo!) and the TOP model has higher clock rate but no dvi--hdmi support..that's the only difference so I'm a bit unsure which one to pick :) 

Okie, I need to go to bed..I'll check back again tomorrow and check for other mobo, I'll update the spec then.
Thanks for advice guys!

Cheers :) 

Gnaldurson
August 27, 2008 12:46:02 AM

x38 is pointless with a nvidia card. only reason to get x38/x48 is to crossfire which you can't do with nvidia (that would be sli and need a different board). and with no plans to crossfire get a p45. i don't agree with the post to get two 4850s. crossfire and sli don't scale perfectly. meaning you don't get twice the performance of one card. with that being the case i always recommend getting the best single card you can. then when you are ready to upgrade you have a choice. get a new single card or get another of the same card for crossfire/sli. if you want to have that choice get a mother board that allows it. p45 would actually allow crossfire just at x8/x8 which really isn't that much of performance hit. my recommendation at that resolution would be to get a 4870 or 4870x2 (depending on your budget) on a p45 board. if a year+ down the road you need more gpu power then you decide on crossfire or new gpu. but at that good resolution those would be good cards. also with that mobo if a year down the road nvidia has a kick a** card you can switch. you aren't limited to one kind on that mobo. the only limitation is if you want multiple cards. would not be able to do nvidia.

corsair 750w psu will be enough for any of those cards but if you eventually decide to crossfire then it won't. so the choice is buy what you need now and maybe buy new one later or buy more than you need now so that is one less issue later. that decision will depend on money and how likely you are to crossfire. and it would probably be within a year because anything further down the road you are probably better served just to get a new gpu.
August 27, 2008 12:53:31 AM

Make sure the power supply has 4 PCI-E connectors for crossfire with the new 4870 cards.

X48 board for sure over an x38. It's the modern board of choice. Also the P45 is good enough and can save you over $100.

I'd get a Radeon 4870 video card or even the new 4870x2 with 2gb ram. Then down the road upgrade with a second card and crossfire it.

Even crossfire on a P45 is good. You only loose 3% or so over an X48 and it's $100 cheaper.

August 27, 2008 5:47:16 PM

Ok, this is my final update, I think these are the parts I'll get:

Intel core 2 Quad Q9550
asus p5q deluxe Mobo
Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB, SATA2, 32MB Cache, 7200RPM (I might add 2 or 3 more later and setup raid 5)
Creative SB0886 X-Fi Titanium, Fatal1ty Pro series, pci-e (Optional)
Asus gtx280, either OC or TOP model
NZXT LEXA Blackline (just going to chech that the gpu will actually fit in there :) )

Any last comments before I order? :) 

Thanks for all the advice guys, especially about the mobo..the last time I built a new pc was b4 the sli/xfire so I haven't updated myself on that part but now I know :) 

Also I've changed my mind back and forth between the gtx280 and the 4870x2. I've come to the conclusion that I think which ever card you choose you'll be happy. If you're a Ati fan, go for the 4870x2 and the other way around :) 
My current gpu is an ATI gt800xt..so this time I want to try the nvidia..I had nvidia b4 the ati card again..guess my next card after that again will be an ati :lol: 

Thanks again guys! :) 

Gnaldurson
August 27, 2008 6:32:07 PM

i agree you will be happy but the 4870x2 outperforms the gtx280 and in some cases even outperforms 2x gtx280. and at that resolution it may matter more as new titles come out.

that being said enjoy your build. appears your mind is made up.

one last thing.

if you do decide to do raid5 at a later time. i would recommend a raid controller. when you are closer to that point get some recommendations but that raid setting (5) can be very impacted by the quality of controller running it.
August 27, 2008 6:56:18 PM

hehe, yeah, I actually agree with you bdollar..lol..my mind is tired..I've been juggling my spec for 5 days now :p 

I'll go for a gathering thing at work for 2 days now..so I'll get it all at a distance and do some thinking :) 
August 27, 2008 7:01:32 PM

one thing to add to your plate. in the games you do play do you like turning up aa and that sort of stuff? if my memory serves me well then i think that is an area where the x2 really starts to shine. so if that is important may want to look up some more reviews/benches before you decide. if you don't care about that then probably more of a toss up. :)  :) 

agree sometimes stepping away for a few days is a good thing! best of luck. whatever you choose.
August 29, 2008 8:00:38 PM

the aa? :p 
August 29, 2008 8:16:10 PM

Okie, this is it..I've finally made my final decision..it helped to go away for 2 days..so now..this IS my final if you guys say go for it..hehe (serious) :p 

Intel core 2 Quad Q9550
Asus Radeon HD 4870X2 (tataaa!!) ;) 
Asus P5E Deluxe, X48 mobo
NZXT LEXA Blackline (just going to check that the gpu will actually fit in there, anyone have any idea if it will fit?)

I won't get a 2nd graphic card..should I get the p45 instead of x48?

Gnaldurson
August 29, 2008 8:22:57 PM

SOrry for double post..I can't edit my previous posts for some reason..)

Okie, this is it..I've finally made my final decision..it helped to go away for 2 days..so now..this IS my final if you guys say go for it..hehe (serious) :p 
The only thing with the mobo is that it doesn't have an e-sata port :( 

Intel core 2 Quad Q9550
Asus Radeon HD 4870X2 (tataaa!!) ;)  (I'll get this coz of my monitor which is a benq 2400wd which runs at 1900x1200)
Asus P5E Deluxe, X48 mobo
NZXT LEXA Blackline (just going to check that the gpu will actually fit in there, anyone have any idea if it will fit?)

I won't get a 2nd graphic card..should I get the p45 instead of x48?

Gnaldurson
August 29, 2008 8:59:08 PM

or this one..it has an esata :-)
Asus P5Q Deluxe, P45,
!