How do you attach fans to megahalem?

majika_lord

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
How do you attach fans to the megahalem?
How do you then attach these fans to a fan controller
What is a good fan controller (front panel)?
What are good fans to use with the megahalem?

The Megahalems was designed (fin thickness and spacing) for fan rpm's between 800 and 1200 rpm. My son's box has twin fans at at a 3.7 OC on a 920, core temps are in the hi 60's under Prime 95 .....26-27 at idle.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article916-page1.html

The Nexus 120 is the fan of choice in the SilentPC review

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article63-page2.html

I wouldn't use a fan controller for the CPU fan....that should be connected to the Mobo fan header

Enthusiasts MoBos will generally have decent amp ratings on their fan headers. Check to make sure your fan header can handle the amperage of 1 or 2 fans on the CPU fan header. If you want to gang two fans on the one header, amperage allowing, you'll want one of these:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1090/cab-05/3-pin_Y_Cable_Splitter.html

majika_lord

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
ASUS rampage II extreme is my motherboard. Should be fine?

I wouldn't use a fan controller for the CPU fan....that should be connected to the Mobo fan header

So CPU fan should be connected to mobo fan header?

So when they are in push pull the hot air is being pushed by the push fan into the pull fan which is then sucked out the back of the case (HAF 32)

I'm assuming the rear fan sucks hot air out? im a massive noob btw...

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Generally, yes, Rear fans are mounted to exhaust hot air outside the back of the case. If your rear fan is blowing into the case, remount it to exhaust.

CPU fan headers (with a 4pin fan) can be used to control the CPU fan without an external fan controller.

majika_lord

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
CPU fan headers (with a 4pin fan) can be used to control the CPU fan without an external fan controller.

Could you suggest some good fans?
4pin is common?

I was looking at these:Scythe SlipStream 120mm 1900RPM Fan

but

The Megahalems was designed (fin thickness and spacing) for fan rpm's between 800 and 1200 rpm.

So i was thinking the 1200rpm version of scythe slipstream

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
My memory of basic thermal dynamics tells me that more airflow should equal more heat removal. Not to say that my opinion is infalliable, but if all other variables are null, then the higher CFM fan should cool better.

Of course, there are arguments that could be made by the more informed, in relation to the rate at which heat is transferred from the heatsink to the passing air, and how there may be a limit to effective CFM based on the heatsink design. But I am not one of those informed people, so just threw it out there to protect myself from appearing totally ignorant and arrogant about it.

There are several fan headers on a MoBo. The R2E has 8 for example. The CPU fan should be connected to the "CPU Fan Header" on the MoBo. On the R2E it's a 4 pin header.

So when they are in push pull the hot air is being pushed by the push fan into the pull fan which is then sucked out the back of the case (HAF 32)

Push pull means that you have two fans, one on either side if the heat sink. One pushes air into the HS, one pulls it out.

BOTH fans should be pointing to thr rear of the case

Case Rear | <--Case Fan|..... <- | HSF # 1 |...Heat Sink....| <-HSF # 2|