Splinter7700

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
I figured I'd post a single topic for these instead of one for every individual problem. May I stress that when it comes to system building I have NO experience whatsoever :( .

I already think I'm off to a bad start. I slipped up installing the CPU (e8600) and dropped it (less than a half cm from the slot but still.) And the Zalman 9500 fan I bought put up a decent fight before letting me screw it in (I accidentally touched the Ceramique thermal paste I had twice. That was fun to redo three times.), but now that's over with, and I have the RAM installed without any issues.

The first question so far is: on the IO board that came with my 780i what do I do with those little metal tabs sticking out of half the ports. I tried googling it but I found nothing particularly helpful. I want to know exactly what I need to do with them, so that I can stop slipping up on this build.

Also, when plugging all the case fans (4 of them) into the molex cable on my PSU, the chain of the four connectors ends with a little cip that almost looks like the ones on phone lines, where does that go? Again, the PSU manual is less than helpful, and the clip isn't labelled.

Splinter7700

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
Ok next question:
When plugging all the case fans (4 of them) into the molex cable on my PSU, the chain of the four connectors ends with a little cip that almost looks like the ones on phone lines, where does that go? Again, the PSU manual is less than helpful, and the clip isn't labelled.