Sign in with
Your question

Network slowdown and hicups

Last response: in Networking
March 15, 2009 4:55:36 PM

Hello all, a bit about my office network:

Total 5 pc's:
3 pc's connect to a HUB (1 of them is the server)
2 pc's connect to a dsl router (the HUB is also connected to this router)

The server runs smooth, never any problems with the network... the other systems have problems...

Sometimes while all pc's is running smooth, 1 will decide to slow down talking to the server... it will still talk, but very slow. After a while it will go back to normal. Then another will slow and do the same thing. Every so often 2 or 3 will slow down then go back to normal.

Other times all pc's will lose connections with the server for a second or 2 (which brings up errors on the 4 pc's because they can not read anything off the server)

I've tried a diffrent HUB, but it still does the same thing... i've tried reseting the HUB and router... it "seems" like it helps, but I'm not 100%. It could just be timeing.

Thoughts?

Thanks all!
Anonymous
March 15, 2009 6:15:54 PM

Do you have a "hub" or a "switch"? Have you thought about an 8 port switch?

Grumpy
March 15, 2009 6:57:29 PM

i've got a hub.

what's a switch?
Related resources
Anonymous
March 15, 2009 9:43:31 PM

Better than a hub!

Grumpy
March 15, 2009 11:17:04 PM

There is a possibility of a bad network card in any of the 5 computers.
Virus on one or more computers.
Hub or switch could have an intermittent port.
You may find a device is flooding your LAN.

Try a network monitor utility to see what is happening in your network.

I like the one here http://sourceforge.net/projects/wireshark/
March 16, 2009 12:26:26 AM

thanks lyleb, i'll try that software out and report back.

March 22, 2009 9:25:26 PM

ok, been trying to work with the software for a couple days but can't seem to figure out how this will benifit... help?

Thanks!
March 23, 2009 11:53:15 AM

Quick and simple. During the periods of the slowdowns, look for any IP addresses that are having an extreme amount of activity.

If you don't see anything there, then the network hardware is most likely OK.

The problem may reside in the software on the Server. Microsoft patches keep me busily employed :) 
Server system resources? What percentage of the Server memory is in use? Are the swap files to large?
Look for issues like these.

Have you tried a new network card in the Server?

Good luck with it.
March 24, 2009 11:35:11 PM

lyleb said:
Quick and simple. During the periods of the slowdowns, look for any IP addresses that are having an extreme amount of activity.

If you don't see anything there, then the network hardware is most likely OK.

The problem may reside in the software on the Server. Microsoft patches keep me busily employed :) 
Server system resources? What percentage of the Server memory is in use? Are the swap files to large?
Look for issues like these.

Have you tried a new network card in the Server?

Good luck with it.

ok, heres an image i made about my network... i can't seem to catch anything when the slow down occur.

Thoughts?
March 25, 2009 7:45:22 PM

Ok, here is a schematic of how I’m thinking it should be setup from your guys responses…

The reason I have PC5 going to the 2-Wire Router instead of the Switch is because of convenience, they sit next to each other… or am I better off running a line from PC5 to the switch anyway?

Thanks again all!
March 27, 2009 11:54:20 PM

it seems cycleing the power on the 2 HUB's helps... the Internet radio on PC2 starts to skip (i see that it's starting to lose connection) so I cycle the HUBs and it returns to normal...

I never cycle power on the Router, just the HUB's

Thoughts?
March 28, 2009 12:12:08 PM

Your idea about replacing the hubs seems to be more legitimate.

One or two small switches should be able to handle the network traffic.

It would be a better idea to separate the POS and internet traffic until it
reaches the router.

I couldn't guess when I was last troubleshooting a hub on a business network :) 
March 28, 2009 3:31:01 PM

well i'm a complete dumba$$
the 2 "HUBS" are actually 5-port Switches

this is what I get for listening to the jacka$$es that put them in when they installed the setup 3 years ago.

Anyway, the above diagram is still correct on how it's all cabled togeather... but they are 2 small Switches.

Thoughts? Sorry all for the confusion!
March 28, 2009 9:33:54 PM

Any chance you can run the wire from the (internet computers) switch directly to the router instead of going through the other switch?
March 28, 2009 10:34:58 PM

I don't have an open port on the Router.... unless i run a line from PC5 to the Switches and the Games Switch to the Router.

I was also wondering... what if I put PC's 1,2,3,4 on a Switch then ran that line to the second Switch (which will hold the Game/Jukebox) then run a line to the Router, would that help speed up PC's 1,2,3,4? Even though 5 will still be connected to the Router.
March 29, 2009 3:34:48 PM

What I was suggesting is separating the network at the router.

That way the POS systems do not share the same wire path with the
internet stuff.

Internet computers
||
||
switch 1
||
||
Internet Router --or POS5 here if necessary
||
||
switch 2