Sign in with
Your question

Stability test?

Last response: in Overclocking
November 11, 2009 12:13:26 PM

Hi,

I have finally received my cable and installed the HSF & memory on my mobo (P5B dlx).
I want to overclock my CPU (e6400) and memory. SO I was wondering what are the best stability test prime95, occt, everest?

More about : stability test

November 12, 2009 1:51:58 AM

prime 95 puts constant 100% strain on the cpu

would have to recomend it
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 12, 2009 4:37:24 AM

Prime95 is great. Small FFTs for pure CPU. Blend for CPU + memory. I haven't had a stable Prime95 tested setup fail me anywhere else, so i personally think it is sufficient.
m
l
Related resources
November 12, 2009 3:18:48 PM

I agree, prime95, but it's probably prudent to have everest too so you can monitor all the core temps/voltages.
m
l
a b å Intel
a c 197 K Overclocking
a b } Memory
November 14, 2009 7:50:49 PM

For a C2D system, Orthos works nicely for stress testing. It will automatically run two instances to load both cores.

Prime95 is a little harder to set up.
m
l
November 15, 2009 10:53:32 AM

I must admit I've run the prime test w/o touching to any option. I tried to figure out how that stuff was working, searched the readme on the files/net, but I haven't find it and it's not like if I had the time for that ;(
Thank for propositions =)
I think I'll dl all of them and see which one I prefer.

I have a second question, but that's not in the topic subject. W/E what is the Tjunction tempeture I should be looking for? Some say that theres a difference of 5C between Tcase n Tjunction (higher tempeture). So if I reach a Tjunction of 65C, the Tcase should be 60c so I'm supposed to be safe... But am I?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 15, 2009 10:57:07 PM

jsc said:
For a C2D system, Orthos works nicely for stress testing. It will automatically run two instances to load both cores.

Prime95 is a little harder to set up.

You start it, select Blend or Small FFT or Large FFT in the popup which comes up, then click Start.
It generates a worker for each core automatically. No setup required.

Just remember it runs in the background if you close the window. Always use 'Stop All Workers' from the menu.

+1 for Prime95.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 15, 2009 11:00:53 PM

Tcase = CPU temp the motherboard reads
Tjunction = Core temp (shown in programs like RealTemp etc)

Tcase is often 3-5C lower than Tjunction however you shouldn't be pushing the processor to thermal limits anyway. Keep Tjunction well under 70C and you should be fine. Personally I prefer it in the low 60's (during a Prime95 Small FFT test, it wont actually get that hot in normal use).
m
l
November 16, 2009 2:48:52 PM

+1 Prime95
Although I like OCCT alot because of the automatic monitoring and timing.
+0.5 for OCCT
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 16, 2009 6:29:38 PM

Personally, I use a combination of tests for Stability. However stability is a "Subjective" determination, so what is stable for one person may not be the same for another.

I use Prime95, Small FTT and Blend for extended time. I also use LinX, around 20 - 30 loops(max memory usage), I use 3Dmark Vantage, several runs to finish out my testing.
m
l
a b å Intel
a c 197 K Overclocking
a b } Memory
November 18, 2009 12:58:35 PM

SpidersWeb said:
You start it, select Blend or Small FFT or Large FFT in the popup which comes up, then click Start.
It generates a worker for each core automatically. No setup required.

Well, that's what I get for runnung an older version. :) 

Thanks.
m
l
November 18, 2009 1:09:16 PM

Many thank for specifications =)
m
l
!