Sign in with
Your question

Ssd sata I vs hdd sata II

Last response: in Storage
January 27, 2010 11:57:25 AM

So I've come across these cheap solid state 16gb drives that I'm think of using for my OS. I was going to put two in a raid 0.

Scandisk SATA 5000
sds5c-016g-000000
They're old sata I (1.5gb/s)

I'm unsure if these would be faster than two caviar blacks (raid 0).
sata II (3gb/s) of course

Thanks,

More about : ssd sata hdd sata

a c 415 G Storage
January 27, 2010 3:32:10 PM

The big advantage of SSD isn't their transfer rate, it's their very fast access time. They'll have just as fast an access time whether they're sata I or II.
m
l
January 27, 2010 5:02:58 PM

So in that sense, the fact that I'll be using them for the OS and maybe programs, I should benefit from using this setup?

Thanks for any help
m
l
Related resources
a c 415 G Storage
January 27, 2010 6:04:24 PM

I'm not familiar with the drives you mentioned, but it should help for booting and loading programs (assuming they're installed on the SSD).
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
January 27, 2010 8:20:07 PM

Cheap (older) SSDs can be used when u read alot, but i would avoid them if you do alot of writing too. If you only use it for the system drive and you don't reinstall/change stuff all that often, cheap SSDs will give you the benefits of quick booting and quick application launch, combined with the physical benefits of SSD: reliability, virtually no power consumption and virtually no heat/vibrations/sounds.

So old SSDs can still be usable. Note that the actual speed of an SSD is determined by its controller; not the flash memory itself. Thus newer controllers can provide many times the performance of older SSDs especially at the areas of writing and more complicated I/O patterns. Also, older SSDs would lack TRIM; but usually because these older SSDs lack remapping writes this is no concern. These kind of SSDs will always be slow for writing; TRIM wouldnt have any effect on them.
m
l
!