motherboard, ram, and cpu compatibility?

godfatherscar

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
ok....im using an intel pentium dual-core at 2.0ghz with 800mhz fsb with an ecs motherboard which has an fsb of 1333/1066....also with 2gb of 800mhz ram....i would like to get a new motherboard but im stuck.....i need it to allow my ram and processor, have at least 2 pci slots, at least one pci-e x16, and the ability for proccessor upgrades. oh it must also allow my processor to be overclocked well and stable

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
I just noticed this about your post and it stood out to me.

Just so your not going down the road of sore disapointment when your overclocking causes blue screens and what not. Your knowledge of overclocking has just as much influence, if not more, than the quality of your motherboard choice on how well your overclocking experience goes and how far you are able to push it. I don't intend to make you feel dumb but if you've never overclocked before, it's not just some slider you move. There's 3 seperate bus speeds, all of which have corresponding voltages, the CPU has multiple settings, and you must realize that PCI bus can cause you to literally physically damage components if you don't know what your doing.

Myself having this knowledge, but very little experience was able to lock my PCI bus at 100 and leave my voltages on auto, push my FSB up a little and have my Q6600 running without a single crash since May at 2.8GHz... by some standards that would seem low... but i don't care! It's a risk you must be willing to back up with your wallet.

godfatherscar

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
well my processor has the ability of overclocking very well....i want to get it higher but not to the point that it becomes bsod city....and my motherboard right now cant oc at all

godfatherscar

Distinguished
May 7, 2008

i don't have much knowlege on overclocking cpu.....but i do know that there are three buses....and i know what they are.....i don't know too much more than that on this issue