How much power supply do I really need??

My old power supply died and I am looking to get a temp. while the old one is repaired? What is the smallest power supply I can safely use if I am running an AMD Opteron 165, 1.8 GHz, GeForce 7600GT, DVD burner, 2 Gigs RAM, WD Raptor 74 gig HD? Any help would really be appreciated!!

Thanks,
Nick
5 answers Last reply
More about power supply need
  1. I would forget about getting the older PSU repaired and just buy a good quality 500-650 watt PSU.This will enable you to purchase a faster,more power hungry GPU as well as upgrade your CPU.Not to mention adding another HD if you want.Repairing old PSU is a waste of time unless it is some odd ball thing that is required for the system itself.Even then,I would just replace it.Goodluck.

Dahak

M2N32-SLI DELUXE WE
    X2 5600+ (3.2)
    4X1GIG DDR2 800 IN DC MODE
    TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
    EVGA GTX 260
    SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
    ACER 22IN WS LCD 1680X1050
    250GIG HD/500GIG HD
    G5 GAMING MOUSE
    LOGITECH Z-5500 5.1 SURROUND SYSTEM
    500WATS CONTINUOUS,1000 PEAK
    WIN XP MCE SP2
  2. 300 watts
  3. I agree that a 300 watt power supply is all that's needed.
    However, getting a decent quality power supply is going to cost you at least $50. Anything less will be prone to early failure and jeopardizes other parts.
    Now, you may ask, what can I get for $50? Looking at Newegg.com:
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500 PPCS500D (After rebate and free shipping)
    Antec Earthwatts EA500
    FSP AX500-PN
    Seasonic S12 II SS-330.
    All the above cost about the same in the end and any will work just fine for your system.
  4. Great, thanks for all the help. The original is under warranty and I was just wanting something to keep my system going while I wait for it to come back.
  5. Antec Earthwatts:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=antec+earthwatts

Newegg has the 500W model for $50 and the 380W model for $40.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components