6400 core 2 duo (2.13 Ghz) bottleneck a 9800GTX+?

Will my 6400 core 2 duo (2.13 Ghz) bottleneck a 9800GTX+?
12 answers Last reply
More about 6400 core bottleneck 9800gtx
  1. Maybe a tad but, but nothing major. I used to have an 8800 GTS 320 paired with a stock E4300 (1.8 Ghz) and after i overclocked my proc i got a few extra frames in most games, but that's it.

Although, depending on your motherboard you might try oc-ing a little. That proc could probably hit 2.8-3.0 Ghz with a decent heatsink and a little work.
  2. I'll keep that in mind, the only reason im considering it is because its on sale for the same price as 9800GTs
  3. Depends on the games and the resolutions you play it. Generally though your CPU will be the bottleneck in that case.
  4. im not really going to be stressing this thing out my monitor is only 19" full.
  5. well according to an article posted lately here on tom's an 8800gt needs at least a 2.6 ghz cpu to prevent bottlenecking,and the 9600 is in the same class,,plus it's nice to always have a little extra on the pedal,,as it were..:)
  6. i gained a good increase when i oc'd from 2.0 to 2.66 with my e4400 and 8800gs. I think it would take about 3.0Ghz from that to keep up with the 9800 gtx.
  7. The answer to OP's question is most certainly yes.
  8. Damn. I just realized I can't overclock with this MoBo as its an Intel and they lock out the settings. Bah!

so it will just limit my performance i guess. No biggie I'm intending to do a full upgrade later maybe i will buy another 9800GTX+ and SLI them.
  9. Clockgen.
    its not supported anymore but im sure it will work with your board.
  10. I can oc my e6400, but it makes my soundcard create popping noises :( So I keep it a stock.
    Don't feel alone in that you can't oc.
  11. yes ur cpu will bottleneck it a little bit. if u figure how to oc it i would recommend 2.5ghz+
  12. russell_J said:
    Damn. I just realized I can't overclock with this MoBo as its an Intel and they lock out the settings. Bah!

so it will just limit my performance i guess. No biggie I'm intending to do a full upgrade later maybe i will buy another 9800GTX+ and SLI them.

Just to be clear, you checked both the FSB and multiplier, and not just the multiplier, right? I know intel always locks their multiplier (sans the extreme line) but I don't know of any intel board with a locked FSB too. Unless you have a dell or gateway or some other proprietary hardware.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Core Bottleneck Graphics Product