Phenom ii 720 overclocking

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Having problems overclocking this cpu. I can overclock it to 3.2ghz easilly on stock voltages. I have the Ht link on 1000mhz for all clocks. My problem is getting 3.4ghz and upwards. My motherboard supports the voltages. The cpu temperature is fine, stays bellow 50 degrees celcius. For the 3.4ghz overclock i put the cpu voltage on 1.425volts (it only allows 0.025 increments). The nb mulitplier i have tried at 1.35 volts and 1.4 volts (it only allows 0.05 increments). My ram is kept at 800mhz. It's timings are left on default. I overclock with the multiplier, i don't raise the fsb so that my ram stays at 800mhz. I am using a ddr2 motherboard. XFX 8300 Geforce and I have a Zalman CNPS 9500NT cpu cooler. I keep that running at a fan speed of around 2000 rpm. Can people tell me how they have got their 720's to become stable on 3.4ghz and 3.5ghz. I keep my processor on 3.2ghz, but i want to try and see if i can get a stable clock of 3.4 and 3.5. I can get 3.3ghz easilly by increasing the cpu voltage to 1.375 and leaving the nb voltage on 1.35 volts.

wsupduck

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
i have a similiar problem with my cpu (same as you) when i increase the nb

so try to do it without increasing the nb and then say what you have

also what is your motherboard that would be helpful

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
I have my 710 stable at 3.5ghz@1.45v, xp64, but that is through purely FSB oc, since not a BE chip. A recent Tom's article comparing the BE and non BE chips in the same line (specifically a 710 and 720) showed that they had very similar ceilings, even though achieved through different methods. I have not been able to get stability out of any higher of a clock, no matter how I have tried.

From what I undestand, BE OCs are easy, and can be achieved by only adjusting the CPU multiplier and the voltages. Try OCing the chip with all settings at default except for the CPU multi and volts.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
so i should leave the nb voltage on auto? Also to mention i have an XFX 8300 Geforece motherboard, i said that in the first message i posted. It has a 95watt limitation, it seems to have a hell of a lot of heatsink for a micro atx, i'm guessing this means that htis board is a reasonable overclocker?But the board has a cpu limitation of 95 watts. I thought i tried sometime ago putting the cpu voltage on 1.45, but it wasn't stable. I did a test for about 20 minutes on 1.475 and it was stable. Ever since then i did the test agian, i ran occt again for 30 minutes but the computer crahsed again. i'm sure the computer was meant to be stable on that overclock. My computerhas restarted quite a couple of times because of overclocking does this signify damage to the motherboard or not really? My cpu temperature has never rose above 56 degrees celcius. It's max is 72 degrees.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Sudden restarts are generally due to a power shortage. Not a major issue in of itself, short of the risk of corrupting vital windows files and requiring an OS reinstall. Usually a great indicator of needing more volts, or a new PSU. I personally use a limit of 55c under load, just for that safety barrier below meltdown temps. Well, I used to, but temps are no longer my limiting factor for my OC, since I got my Scythe Samurai Zz HSF.

Memory Dump BSoD generally indicates a memory issue. I get this when my FSB gets too high and my memory is too heavily OC'd, or my volts to the ram are too low.

TBH, I am not familiar with your motherboard, or with OCing on Mobos rated for lower wattages (mine is 140w cpu, and the first OC I have done in over 7 years, heh) so someone else might be better equipped for that query.

I also have not upped my NB volts. perhaps that is where my ceiling is coming from, heh. I am not informed enough of the effect of NB OC, so i just try to keep it the same as the HT link through the multipliers, and Close to the stock speed of 2000mhz. So far this has worked for me, but I am so ignorant on this specific detail, that I don't know enough to know how much I don't know, hah.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
i'm having a problem with th nb voltage. In the way that i don't eaxaclty know what to do with it as i increase cpu voltage. Am i meant to increase this value exactly the same as i have the cpu voltage?Am i meant to have it about 0.05 volts less?

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
can i keep it at auto, with an overclock of 3.4ghz, just increasing the cpu voltage? Ok just to notify you people. I did a test with 3.3ghz. With 1.4 volts as opposed to trying 1.375 and it works, also i put the nb voltage on 1.4 as well. I tried 3.4ghz on 1.45 volts, and it seems to have worked, putting the nb voltage on 1.45. But i rememebr along time ago, i did a test, i tried these 1.4 voltages for 3.3ghz and the computer restarted. Strange things are happening. When i had it on 1.375 volts for 3.3ghz it was working once, as i tested it for a long time. Well i shall put the clock back to 3.2ghz bec ause i just want to be satisfied with thinking that i can overclock my processor with putting the voltages up to. The CPU temp for 3.4ghz has come close to 58 degrees celcius, it went to 57. When i take the computer lid off the cpu gets cooler, about 3 degrees i think. This is a bit annoying.There are lots of air vents on the lid, the cpu fan is facing towards the back of the case so that it is blowing towards tha back. There is also a case fan at the back as well. But that's not too bad, i have this cpu in a micro atx case, unusuall though since i can stick whatever size graphics card i like in it and a fairly large cpu cooler, about mid height. The cpu cooler is not crammed although due to my unusual motherboard design it comes close to the hard drives, but there is lots of space behind the cpu cooler.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
i think it's the motherboard's fault. It brings the cpu cooler too close to the hard drives. But there is still a gap and air should get in there are plenty of air vents. It's got a fan at the back and also at the front. The PSU has a 140mm fan and is right above the cpu cooler. it's a casecom ma-1199. A value one but i have to say i'm really impressed with the quality for the cheap price and the fact that it has more air vents than most matx cases. My GTS 250 usually hangs around 40 degrees. My cpu goes to 37 degrees it is right now. Absolute bottom. On 3.2ghz at the moment. I think it goes all the way up to 53 degrees. max. My motherboard is a xfx 8300 geforece. If i had got any other motherboard with the cpu slightyl towards the middle, the cpu cooler would have more space inbetween it and the hard drives. However, my wire tidying is very sufficient.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/160915
Mine is a silver version of that. There's a gap between the front panel and the metal chasis, quite a large gap when it is raised of the floor by 4 feet at the bottom. Air can get in through the gap and get blown in via the front fan. There is also an air vent directly bellow the gpu.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
sorry, but i now want to say that i'm really quite miffed and pissed lol about this. My cpu is playing funny with me. It sometimes reads 46 idle. One time it was 50 idle. This is at 3.2ghz. Now i briefly saw 32 degrees idle. Also just to tell you, the case side effects the temperature as well, by 3 degrees. It is not actually the case's fault but the particular mobo i have got. This matx is perfect for moterhboard designs like this: http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/423/fullboard.jpg.
As opposed to my board like this: http://www.hardwarezone.com/img/data/articles/2008/2581/XFX_8300.jpg
You can see that it pushes the cpu cooler rightwards.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
http://img2.wantitall.co.za/images/ShowImage.aspx?ImageId=Gigabyte-GA-MA785GMT-UD2H-Micro-ATX-Motherboard|61wt74lXz-L.jpg --- compared to boards like this wihich is the vast majority of matx boards. You see the difference? How the ram slots are on the right side rather than on the topof the board which doesn't force the cpu socket to go closer to the right side. This little difference should make something means that there should be more than 5 cm space from the cpu cooler. Although, to be honest it could be the case, have you looked at the side panel, how the far right side panels are the only air vents that deliver air to the cpu cooler. Since the other vents are all behind the cpu cooler.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
this is quite annoying but the actual case side effects the cpu temperature by 5 degrees. I'm not keeping the side off, because it does have enough vents.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
I put in a evercool pci fan, which was next to the processor. But when i took it out the temperatures actually decreased. It's not the problem of getting hot air out. It's the problem at getting cool air in. i think. Although there are both vents on the sides, and also there's a case fan at the front, because this is a fairly small case it means the fans are closer to the processor so air should reach it with more force? If i turn my zalman 9500nt so that the fan is facing towards graphics card direction, there will be more space inbetween the processor and an object. So i think more space to fill up with air from an air vent/ fan. But do the back of graphics cards heat up the area alot? There is also a vent right above the graphics card as well and also right next to the cpu cooler's fan as i have turned it around. I know a bigger case would have done me better, but it wouldn't have fit into my desk, or anywhere else in my room, i don't think i would have been allowed to use the other bigger desk. Also, the fan of the cpu cooler is blowing up towards the psu. Right besides the PSU, there is the case fan. But that is on a right angle to the cpu cooler, i don't know if that is bad or not. But it is fairly close to the cpu cooler, and it now has space on all of it's side since it has been faced towards the graphics card.