Can't play multiplayer games over LAN

jayadratha

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Hii friends...
I have two desktops. Both are connected via a Ethernet switch. Both desktops are detecting each other. I can also share files from both the desktops. :) But i cant play LAN games. :( I'm making server from a desktop but other desktop not detecting it. Same case on both desktops. :cry: Till now i have tried NFS most wanted v1.3 and willrock. I installed same version of games in both the pc but not working. :??: Please help[ me guys... advance thanks.

lafontma

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
He's connected into a switch, no need for cross cables.. and anyway he mentions that file sharing works..

Probably firewall on the "server" blocking the incoming trafic for the required ports that are used by the game... Disable the firewall.

MundoDragon

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
You're behind two firewalls...good god, preparing for nuclear war? Anyhow, most times, from what I remember, forgive me, it's been ages, but playing over a LAN requires some sort of ip program...can't remember the name of it. Something like ipconfig or that. Although I'm almost positive this clunky system has been replaced by now, so disregard if relevent.

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011

Cool Story Bro.

Here buddie, I couldn't have you on this fourm telling people to download "Something like ipconfig or that" could I?

I don't mean to be cheeky... but here is what ipconfig actually is..
Link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipconfig

Maybe you meant a ip address related application which identified all network devices Ip's and was able to configure them so the devices that where connected to the network would not have connection/conflicting issues.

In saying this, even if such an application did exist it is still not relevant to the issue at hand, because the two users can file share.. therefore meaning the connection issue is not IP related at all. and that this issue is purely security related.

Cnet (Gameranger)
http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0.html?query=GameRanger&searchtype=downloads
(Info, Reviews, ect)

Gameranger:
www.gameranger.com