Picking a good case - need suggestions

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
Ok here is,

I will be reassembling my rig pretty soon. It's going to be pretty much what's in my sig but the CPU will be changed for a Q9550 and the MOBO for a P5Q Pro. The 900 I am currently using is a good case and offers good air flow but it lacks in cable management and silence. Also, it has a bit too much bling for my taste. I don't really need Led fan and side window.

I have been looking at quite a few cases and my quest seems to bring me back to be the good ole P-182 which is (used to be) a favourite around here. Obviously a matter of personnel taste, I find that case to be discrete looking yet elegant. The price seems OK for a case of that quality and I have read good comments about its good cable management and quietness.

I'd like to get comments from people using that case as well as other suggestion that would fit my requirements. I am not willing to shell out 200-300 $ for a case. Up here in Canada the P-182 has a price range of 150-185 $ which I am willing to pay but I wouldn't like to spend that much more on a case.

Thanks in advance

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
Even if I recognize the quality of Lian Li case, I am not sure if I am willing to spend 200$ on a case but I'll see in a few weeks what budget allows. That case seems to be pretty decent and I like the more discrete look of it. I guess you can't have it all, quality and low price don't usually go hand in hand. Newegg is selling this case for 245.00$ CDN so it won'T probably fitting my budget. IF money was a plenty, Lian Li PC-A77 would be my choice.

BeakerUK

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
I'm using this :: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133043

140mm fan in the front is quiet, but the 120mm they package is a screamer. I swapped mine out for a ceramic bearing fan instead (for £6.50 I figured it was worth the chance). If I sit right next to the machine the only fan I can hear is the PSU one, which WILL be changed at some point when I can work up the enthusiasm.

Not the best case in the world, but I was attracted by the simplicity. I've had a few T-Take cases before, so knew they are an OK brand. I've taken a vow of no "Bling" on my cases. I lost interest in lights and multiple fan cotrollers.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Try this. $60 mid tower, elegant, clean design, very good cooling, good quality, good reviews.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119077
11-119-077-13.jpg

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
Yes that's another pretty decent option. My only grip here with this particular model is that it sports a 80mm front intake fan. I find those to be quite loud if you want to get a decent air flow. I haven't checked the details and maybe it's possible to get a 120mm in front. CM certainly have a decent lineup of cases but their older models often use 80mm fans and IMHO there isn't a valid reason to do so nowadays unless there is a space problem.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

The intake fan is quiet, although with low airflow. Still, the whole front is a mesh full of holes(just like speaker covers), and let air in pretty easily, since exhaust fan creates negative pressure inside the case. It's not like most cases, where front is solid, and the intake fan's opening is the only place air can be drawn in.
11-119-077-15.jpg