Floppy disk for SATA RAID install

highcountryrider

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
About to build my first system :??:

Motherboard is GA-EP45-UD3LR. I'll be setting it up for a SATA RAID 1 array. I haven't done this before but the manual for this board has detailed instructions and I don't think I'll have any problems. What I do need is help on creating a startup floppy disk. New system will have a floppy/card reader installed.

Instructions require a startup floppy disk in order to boot system and then copy the SATA RAID/AHCI Drivers from the motherboard CD to another blank floppy. This floppy will then be used to install those drivers during install of the OS (in this case Windows XP). Here is the relevant information from the manual:

5-1-2 Making a SATA RAID/AHCI Driver Diskette
(Required for AHCI and RAID Mode)
To successfully install operating system onto SATA hard drive(s) that is/are configured to RAID/AHCI
mode, you need to install the SATA controller driver during the OS installation. Without the driver, the
hard drive may not be recognized during the Windows setup process. First of all, copy the driver for
the SATA controller from the motherboard driver disk to a floppy disk. For installing Windows Vista, you
first have to copy the SATA controller driver from the motherboard driver disk to your USB flash drive
and then extract it (see instructions on the next page). See the instructions below about how to copy the
driver in MS-DOS mode(Note). Prepare a startup disk that has CD-ROM support and a blank formatted
floppy disk.
Step 1: Insert the prepared startup disk and motherboard driver disk in your system. Boot from the
startup disk. Once at the A:\> prompt, change to your optical drive (example: D:\>). At the D:\> prompt,
type the following two commands. Press <Enter> after each command (Figure 1):
cd bootdrv
menu
Step 2: When the controller menu (Figure 2) appears, remove the startup disk and insert the blank
formatted disk. Select the controller driver by pressing the corresponding letter from the menu. For
example, from the menu in Figure 2, select 7) Intel Matrix Storage Manager 32 bit for Windows
32-bit operating system or 8) Intel Matrix Storage Manager 64 bit for Windows 64-bit.
Your system will then automatically zip and transfer this driver file to the floppy disk. Press <0> to exit
when finished.

My current system does not have a floppy drive but I can access a PC that does. Current OS is Windows XP SP2. Question I have is where can I find the files necessary to create a bootable floppy? I can put them on a USB thumb drive and then access the other PC to transfer them to a floppy disk.

I used to create floppy boot disks all the time when I used Windows 98 but since this system does not have a floppy drive I obviously can't format a floppy or make it bootable.

Hope this is not too confusing! Would appreciate any help.

highcountryrider

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've been there. Downloaded the Win98 SE files for a boot floppy including CD ROM support. I assumed that the 6 setup disks needed for Win XP weren't necessary. Anyone see a problem with this?

Actually, I shouldn't need the boot floppy. Appears it was only needed to extract the RAID drivers from the Gigabyte motherboard disk. I've already extracted those files to a flash drive and will be copying them to a floppy. I'm installing Win XP on the new system and will use that disk to boot and then install the RAID drivers at the F6 query.

Another question. Should I use the Gigabyte disk to update drivers like the Realtek audio and LAN or should I use the ones I downloaded from Gigabyte's website?

bilbat

Splendid
Use the CD - once fired up, Windoze update will take care of updating the majority of 'em, and you can do the minor remainder at your leisure. I just finished installing V64, Xp32, & Xp64 on a DS5, and update took care of (at least) the Intel driver/matrix manager, the USB root hub, and the Realtek LAN & audio manager... Did have a problem in Xp32 w/the HD audio driver - driver installer on the disk refused to install, claiming I needed some Kbxxxxxx update - went there, tried to do the update, installer for THAT said 'was already included' in SP2 install... Catch 23! However, after about three trips to update, and fifty or so dl's & installs, the whole thing took care of itself, & - voila - start-up music!!!

highcountryrider

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Thanks for the reply. I will be installing Win XP Pro SP3 32 bit from an OEM disk. Heard there might be some issues with installing Gigabyte drivers after the OS install as it might trigger a re-activation issue. Here is a quote from a Newegg Win XP Pro SP3 32bit customer review:
Other Thoughts: Make sure you update all your drivers for your motherboard if you're doing a fresh build. If you don't get everything working beforehand because if you have to go back and reinstall drivers, the system will recognize the new devices and require you to reactivate due to hardware changes... Since your OEM code is good for ONE USE EVER, it means you'll need to have customer service reactivate your installation of XP. Try the phone. They don't respond to email.
Any comments?

Also, could you be a little more specific about "use the CD"? Do you mean the Gigabyte motherboard CD? You mention that "Windoze update will take care of updating the majority...." Sorry, I don't quite understand this. :ange:

Added 12/22/08: Found the issue with kb888111. It appears that HD audio drivers are/were not included in the earlier XP Pro SP3 releases. It was necessary to install XP SP2 first which did have support for HD audio drivers and then install SP3. The kb888111 download was a hotfix for this issue (at least as far as I can tell!) Whole issue is somewhat confusing. Would I be correct in assuming that since I do not plan on installing a audio card on this build (using onboard audio) that I shouldn't have the problem? Gigabyte's website has updated Realtek audio drivers that include the Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) High Definition Audio class drivers for the GA-EP45-UD3R board. Here is some info on the update:
Posted date: 2008/09/16
Realtek Function driver for Realtek Azalia audio chip (Including Microsoft UAA Driver in English edition)
O.S. : Windows 2000,Windows XP,Windows XP 64Bit,Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition 32bit,Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition 64bit,Windows Vista x86 (32-bit),Windows Vista x64 (64-bit)
Version: R2.00
Size: 34.78 MB