Building on top of HP Pavillian a622n

KARNAGE555

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
hey guys,

ok so i am extrmely new at knowning whats going on in side my comp.
so now i want to upgrade my hp pavillian a622n.

heres the current specs that i know.
pentium 4 cpu 2.8ghz
2.8ghz
504 mb ram.
intel extreme video card 64mb cache memery

honestly i dont really where to start or whats really compatible, whats good and not good for my comp.

i have looked up somethings but i just got me way more confused.

any suggestions i will take.
thanks
KARNAGE

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Pretty much everything with that system is going to be a dead-end. Want a new processor? Well, you'll need a new motherboard and RAM as well. Want a new video card? Well, odds are you don't have the right slot on your motherboard so you'll need the new board and almost certainly a new PSU as well. If all of your new stuff gets too hot, probably want a better ventilated case. There's just not going to be a whole lot you can do with that system... with a few upgrades (more RAM and a modest video card upgrade) you might be able to do some basic gaming, but that's gonna be about it. Just not much life left in your rig.

KARNAGE555

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
wow didnt think about that.
well my friend gave me this video card and a 1gb ram chip so i hope they work.
it would be cheaper if i just went with a brand new comp right?

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
Most likely..

Trying looking around at wal-marts and dell's site and comparing prices on the computer you would need...

IMHO i think you should just get a new computer... that would be a major head-ache and very time consuming to update that one.. :sleep:

I have to agree with Rodney, your HP motherboard can only get a small upgrade in CPU power that is certainly not worth the money. If the old DDR RAM that your friend gave you is compatible it will help. You motherboard does not have an AGP or a PCIe x16 socket for a graphic card, only a PCI socket. There's probably very little you can upgrade on your system and certainly not anything worth the $$$ you'd have to pump into it.

KARNAGE555

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
ok yea thats what i heard from my friend that my comp is just crap and get a new one lol

so i just tried both the 1 gb ram chip and the video card (dimaond stealth with radeon 9250) and both didnt work.

so i will just post a new thread in custom laptops cause thats wat i would like for school (high and collage), music, games, and movies/entertainment.

thanx for you help guys.

btw, where would i start for a custom computer?
that mother board ad looked good.

robotman

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
I have the same pc and I have up graded to 2gb ram and zaltech has a pci graphics card that will get you pc up to date in the game playing department. Im looking into a new Processor that my mb can handel. look into your up grades you self I would have trashed my pc years ago if went with what everyone was saying.