Final look on build. $2000+

G

first off you have to log in to view it.... why not just list the parts instead of being lazy.... also This build is "Mainly" for a friend to game with.... whats mainly mean... did you add some stuff to it that you want and then are going to make your friend pay for it.... and say his parts were just expensive...

bdollar

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
:)

can't read the list so you may have a monitor included in the price. if not what is the resolution of the monitor? what kinds of games is it for?

The first thing that jumps out is the GTX280 with a x48 motherboard. The x48 chipset supports crossfire, so AMD/ATI would make more sense IMHO. You could pick up 2 4850's for about $155 each, 2 4870's for $250 each, or the 4870 x2 for $560. Depending on what resolution your friend will be gaming at, you could just put in one 4870 and have the option of adding another one later if needed. Looks like a pretty solid build otherwise.

bdollar

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
i still can't even see the build. but based on shortsstuff's answers i agree with the x48. only reason to get that mobo is crossfire. if doing one card or sli then it isn't the right mobo. but determining if crossfire is going to be the way to go would need to know resolution and game types.

stuck804

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
There are a few things you should think about as a "good friend."

1) Does your friend REALLY need a $300 VelociRaptor? In addition to a 640gb WD HD?? Personally, as I friend, I'd stick with just the WD - he's not going to notice the difference.

2) Why an ASUS Rampage X48 Mobo paired with a 280GTX? Either get a motherboard that allows for (future) SLI, buy a ATI 4870 instead, or at least get a mobo that has a single graphic card slot.

3) I noticed you didnt buy a CPU cooler and therefore can assume you or your friend will not be doing any overclocking. I'd suggest going with a cheaper mobo.

4) As for as the mouse/keyboard goes... Does he really need a $50 keyboard and a $60 mouse? If so get the logitech G11 keyboard. I have a logitech mx518 mouse which I got for $35 and it's great! I always have the person I'm building the computer for purchase their own keyboard/mouse on their own. It comes down to personal preference.

In conclusion, I think you can save your friend some money by doing some more research. Or, revise the build some and upgrade say the monitor to a 24" while cutting costs on the other parts.

EDIT: My Internet most be slow lol. You all beat me...

bob10571

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Sorry about all not being able to see it. Here is the main stuff listed out:

CPU:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8500

Mobo:
ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard

Power Supply:
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Graphics:
EVGA 01G-P3-1280-AR GeForce GTX 280 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Memory:
OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR800C44GK

Monitor:
SAMSUNG 2253BW Black 22" 2ms(GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor

Case:
Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

HD:
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

I hadn't noticed the Mobo. Will start looking into changing that out. He was over and picking things out as I was sort of looking around. He picked out the mouse and keyboard himself. He's not very computer literate and just wanted something to last him a while. So he won't be overclocking at all. As far as games, he currently plays AoC and is planning on playing warhammer when it comes out.

Lol, good idea thogrom. But no I hadn't planned on doing that. "Mainly" means that the computers most intensive uses will be for gaming. The other activities would be just general computer use, ie surfing, burning, watching some shows, easy stuff like that.

edit: the 300g raptor was just on account that the 150g was out of stock on newegg. It will probably either get removed or a 150g ordered from another place. I kinda just added it to give him an higher estimate instead of a low one that turns out to be higher then I told him.

bdollar

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
at that resolution i would get a p45 board (the p5q) is a good one. and a 4870 gpu. that will be more than enough. and if games get intensive enough in the future you can add another one (p45 is x8/x8 in crossfire but that difference from what i have seen is only about 5% so unless crossfire is a for sure thing may as well save on the p45).

+1 to not needing the veliciraptor. but if he can afford it and really wants that little bit of improvement then that is his choice.

I happen to love the 22in size for a monitor but some people swear by the 24" at the 1920x1200 resolution. would recommend having your friend physically check them out at a store. if he really likes it more that would be a place to spend the money being spent on the raptor.

if he does go with the higher res then may want to consider a 4870x2 card to fully take advantage of that res.

great choice on the e8500 and corsair is a great brand for PSU. plenty for single card. and plenty for 4870 or below crossfire. if sli gtx280s (different mobo) or crossfire 4870x2s in the future then may want more juice.

Did your friend pick out the case? Antec makes some good cases for the money that have good airflow. The antec 900 is only $100

I would totally forget about the 150GB raptor. Those are old tech, the 6400AAKS is just as fast. The 300GB Velociraptor is an awesome drive, but pretty expensive. I would get two 640GB WD drives to either save your friend some $$ or upgrade another part. If your friend is dead set on the GTX280, I would go for an SLI motherboard. That's not the route I would recommend at the moment though. ATI/AMD currently has the edge in the graphics department for price/performance IMO. It's pretty hard to beat the ATI 4870 right now. I hope this statement doesn't require my anti-flame suit. :)