Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What harddrive should I buy

Last response: in Storage
January 27, 2010 4:56:22 PM

I have a Satellite L305D-S5895 and the harddrive has died. The specs on the HD are 250GB (5400 RPM); Serial ATA (150) hard disk drive. Manufacturer was Hitachi. Specs on HD are 5K250-250.

What HD can I buy that would be compatible? Can I buy a faster, better performance HD that would also be compatible like a 7200 RPM or a bigger HD? Do I have to stay with 150 or can I go up to 300? What brand would you reccomend? It needs to be study as I carry it around alot and the hard drive seems to have alot of wiggle room in the case. (Is there anything I can do about too much wiggle room?) I am really angry that Toshiba will not honor my 3 yr warranty on the Hitachi HD since it was installed when I bot the computer and Toshiba only has a year warranty. Any help would be appreciated.

More about : harddrive buy

a b G Storage
January 28, 2010 4:47:49 AM

Wiggle room - cut a thin sheet of foam to fit. That should take the slack out.
Related resources
January 28, 2010 12:10:16 PM

pepperman said:
Any in this list should do:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

I prefer Western Digital HDDs, but most manufacturer's make decent drives. In terms of the wiggle room, just make sure its screwed in tight and you should be fine.

Thanks for the link, I had read on this website that you all had voted for the best hard drive brands and it looked like WD won. But I am confused about what a "bare bones" hard drive means. Re: wiggle room: For some reason the Toshibas, I have both a L305D (daughter's) and a L350, have from 1/4 to 3/8 inch of space between the end of the hard drive and the end of the hard drive compartment. There is no way to keep the HD securely in place and the cover screws in but (well, just covers it) won't keep it from shifting. So we have to keep opening the cover and shoving (maybe not the right wording) it back in place. That can't be good for the HD or the connection.
January 28, 2010 12:16:25 PM

jsc said:
Wiggle room - cut a thin sheet of foam to fit. That should take the slack out.

Thanks so much. That sounds like a good idea. I am afraid the continual shifting may be why it died after only a few months anyway. I've only worked with desktops and didn't realize this problem existed. Do you think the foam piece would get hot and melt. It has an AMD chip so runs a little hot?
a b G Storage
January 28, 2010 12:53:28 PM

You only need a "bare drive" (this means all it comes with is just the drive).

I can't tell you anything definitive about the wiggling, as I'm not familiar with Toshiba's HDD mounting technique, but you should be fine with foam-it shouldn't heat up so much that it causes damage (even with your AMD chip).
January 28, 2010 1:21:04 PM

pepperman said:
You only need a "bare drive" (this means all it comes with is just the drive).

I can't tell you anything definitive about the wiggling, as I'm not familiar with Toshiba's HDD mounting technique, but you should be fine with foam-it shouldn't heat up so much that it causes damage (even with your AMD chip).

Thanks for getting back so quickly. So, I am just wondering what comes with an "unbare drive". Are you talking about some kind of installation disk or maybe cables? I have only installed hard drives on desktops. Never used the installation disk. I formatted them, installed operating system, drivers, etc. I am assuming that is what I will do with the laptop hard drive. And need no cables for the SATA. Am I missing something vital?

Best solution

a b G Storage
January 28, 2010 4:40:33 PM

No, the bare drive should be all you need for your laptop.
Retail drives usually include cables and other accessories for desktop HDDs, and TBH, I'm not really sure what retail laptop HDDs include (if anything).
January 28, 2010 6:11:29 PM

pepperman said:
No, the bare drive should be all you need for your laptop.
Retail drives usually include cables and other accessories for desktop HDDs, and TBH, I'm not really sure what retail laptop HDDs include (if anything).

You're awesome Pepperman! :love: 
January 28, 2010 6:11:49 PM

Best answer selected by nanfran.
a b G Storage
January 28, 2010 6:37:41 PM

Anytime, that's what we're here for. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
!