Sign in with
Your question

Getting info off of a hard disk

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
January 27, 2010 5:21:22 PM

Hello, i have a hard disk from my old broken laptop, its a Hitachi DK23EA-30. i have a new laptop now but would like to retrieve some files from the old HD. Any help would be appreciated.

More about : info hard disk

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
January 27, 2010 5:32:31 PM

Buy a USB enclosure or USB adapter with the appropriate interface for the old drive.
January 27, 2010 5:51:41 PM

1) Take out the hard drive from the old computer.
2) set the pin to slave if it has the option
3) Hook the hard drive up to a desktop using an IDE cable and power cable.

I am not sure if this hard drive has a standard 4-pin power connector or not. If it does then you can simply plug it in and you will be able to retrieve whatever files were on it.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
January 27, 2010 6:44:13 PM

Thanks for the info, this drive has a very thin connector strip, like where a PCB edge would slip in, on other machines the IDE connectors have been a lot bigger. Is the one that i have an EIDE? hope i have made sense.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
January 27, 2010 7:06:34 PM

It could be SATA or it may be mini-IDE.

I think the best bet is to take the drive to a decent retailer and ask them to identify the interface and sell you a USB adapter for it. These are common for the older mini-IDE interface which is a strong possibility for a drive of the capacity you have

The suggestion from snurp seems to be based on assuming older 3.5 inch IDE drive and a desktop computer.
!