Sign in with
Your question

I needed help desiding on a low end power supply

Last response: in Components
November 15, 2008 6:24:52 PM

I was given this web site below to help in my quest ,but the power supplies I can aford are not in this list.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forum [...] p?t=108088

I found one I liked it was a Chiefmax 450 (http://3btech.net/ch45atxposup.html it is a Chiefmax )

Some one said I could get a Antec basiq, But it only has 20 pins, I need a 24 pin power supply. About $30.00
a c 137 ) Power supply
November 15, 2008 6:39:27 PM

A PSU is NOT the place where you should sacrifice quality. That said, Antec and FSP are about the only good low priced brands. I don't think Chiefmax is high on the quality scale.

What do you need to power? How many 12v amps do you need?

The Antec basiq has a 20 +4 main connector which should satisfy the 24 pin connector requirement.
a b ) Power supply
November 15, 2008 6:55:10 PM

geofelt said:
A PSU is NOT the place where you should sacrifice quality. That said, Antec and FSP are about the only good low priced brands. I don't think Chiefmax is high on the quality scale.

What do you need to power? How many 12v amps do you need?

The Antec basiq has a 20 +4 main connector which should satisfy the 24 pin connector requirement.

I'm with geofelt. Power Supplies are not the best place to save money. Cheap power supplies are just that, cheap. I've never had good luck going budget on a power supply. They usually don't last all that long in my experience.

Antec is always a safe bet though, if you can find a good deal on one that meets your power requirements.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
November 15, 2008 7:06:03 PM

If you don't need a PCI-E connector for your video card, then this is a good option:

Enermax EG301P-VB 24P
This is $35 but includes free shipping.

Also available with the same limitations as above are:
FSP ATX350 PA
Antec Basiq BP350
Both of these are $30 plus shipping.

There are a number of good PSU options in the $50 range. They will include the ability to run a higher-end
video card as well. These have more output options in general and will power a modern system just fine.
My favorite example right now (due to a big rebate) is the PC Power & Cooling PPCS500D.
Called the Silencer 500, it can be had for $50 with free shipping after mfr rebate.

Brand is very important when looking at the low end of the power supply business.
There are very few power supplies under $50 which are solid performers. Those that are will have
very limited expansion options, no PFC and lower effeciency.
November 17, 2008 11:19:58 PM

When I said I needed 24 pin power supply I meant that I needed 24 pins for the power and a four pin 12v connector/ 350 watt min.
a c 137 ) Power supply
November 17, 2008 11:22:31 PM

coltoe said:
http://www.smksuperstore.com/catalog/viewitem.asp?ID=37...

is an ok web site but I what a p5n-em-hdmi motherboard and this website does not give a lot of opions on power supply.

The website has PSU's from Antec, FSP, and Seasonic which are all decent.

What is missing is what components you will be powering with the PSU.
cpu
vga card
# hard drives
dvd
etc..

What will be in the PC?
Only with that info can we confidently suggest something.
a c 137 ) Power supply
November 28, 2008 2:40:23 AM

The only part that really matters is the vga card.
What is it?
!