Sign in with
Your question

Liquid cooling a dual xeon workstation suggestions

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
November 12, 2009 3:19:48 PM

the company i work for recently bought a new main render rig for design and draughting department, so i suggested a bit of an overclock for increased performance, so we settled on water cooling i have some liquid cooling experience but this is complicated

i was thinking 2 kits of swiftech ultima's

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8412/ex-wat-141/Swift...

any help appreciated
a b K Overclocking
November 12, 2009 10:06:21 PM

Don't get kits. Listing full specs will help. Also, read the guide at the top of this section.
a c 86 K Overclocking
November 13, 2009 12:29:23 AM

The kits you listed has a CPU, NB, and GPU cooler. You don't need a GPU cooler.

You should make sure the board can accept standard mounting holes for the CPU cooler. Cooling the NB/SB might not be worth it on your setup.

I have seen a few shulltrail boards watercooled at Xtreme Forums. Thats where the TOP experts hang out.

So I suggest you head to Xtreme Systems, do your research and then have a full concise list of what your plans are before asking there. Case, budget, overclocks, board, GPU etc. Take your time, this is pretty different.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
November 13, 2009 9:53:50 AM

Shadow703793 said:
Don't get kits. Listing full specs will help. Also, read the guide at the top of this section.

its a tyan dual 1366 board with 2 xeon w5590's so it should accept normal 1366 water blocks, 2 nvidia quadro fx5800's ,one gtx 275 ,case is a lian li p80

budget $3000 just or cooling
a b K Overclocking
November 13, 2009 9:58:08 AM

Conumdrum said:
The kits you listed has a CPU, NB, and GPU cooler. You don't need a GPU cooler.

You should make sure the board can accept standard mounting holes for the CPU cooler. Cooling the NB/SB might not be worth it on your setup.

I have seen a few shulltrail boards watercooled at Xtreme Forums. Thats where the TOP experts hang out.

So I suggest you head to Xtreme Systems, do your research and then have a full concise list of what your plans are before asking there. Case, budget, overclocks, board, GPU etc. Take your time, this is pretty different.

do they make blocks for quadro's?
November 13, 2009 12:09:17 PM

You need to cool just CPU and eventualy graphic cards.
For cpu block i suggest something like
http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/product_info.php/info/p5000...
For gtx 275
http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/product_info.php/info/p6246...
dont know if there are some blocks for fx5800 so you should probably use just normal not full cover blocks.

You will need to use 2 separate loops, 1 for both CPUs and one for Grpahic.

You also need pump (such as Laing D5-Pump 12V D5-Vario 1/2 IG), water reservoar and probably 120.4 radiator for each loop.
http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/product_info.php/info/p6638...

Tubing probably tygon 13/10mm (best is plasticizer free) and compression fittings as needed.

Distilled water with PT-nuke as cooling medium.

You will need probably mod your case to be able fit all this (radiators probably outside).

You will not need to spent more then about 1/3 of your cooling budget.
November 13, 2009 12:21:36 PM

obsidian86 said:
do they make blocks for quadro's?

Just GPU blocks yes as they are mostly universal, need just corect mounting , as for full cover blocks no, you will need put some small copper/aluminium passive blocks on memory.
a b K Overclocking
November 13, 2009 12:31:13 PM

sounds like a plan thanks xrodney the gtx 275 wont be in the loop it gets hardly used its just there for the occasional game once in a blue moon the heatkiller lookslike a good choice
November 13, 2009 1:18:31 PM

Also as Conumdrum sugested you should join some overclock/watercooling specialized forum such as www.ocforums.com. You will need some more info how to build wc system what to avoid etc as water and electricity not going well together.
!