Garbled/Distorted display on 9800 gtx+

taylor138

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
Hello. I am having problems with a newly built computer. A week after building it, I went out and bought a new LCD and connected it with a DVI cable (had been previously using sub-d). That's where the problems began. I was immediately greeted with a garbled display on the bios screen. After a few restarts, the problem seemed to correct itself, and I was trouble free for about another week - until this morning. The problem has returned and is happening much more frequently than before. I'd also like to mention that this is not only messing up my picture, but also locking up the whole pc. Sometimes it will just be lines on the screen with the pc still responsive, other times the whole screen will turn pink and lock up, requiring me to hold down the power button to turn off the pc.

As I said, it occurs in the bios screens and in vista, so I assume it's not a driver issue. I have also tried using the other DVI output but it still occurs. I switched the card to another pci express port but it still occurs. I tried going back to an analog connection - didn't fix it (although it seems to happen less frequently).

Defective video card seems to be the culprit, but is there anything else I could be missing?

My system:
Asus P5Q Pro
Core 2 e8400
asus 9800gtx+
4gb gskill ddr2 800

CabbageGT

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
I just bought 2 inno3d 9800 gt cards, 1Gb and a 512Mb.
Both seem to have this problem
On post the display is all messed up like static on a old tv but more colourful
There is no error and windows starts up, of course I dont get to see that bit so I very much dought that its a driver problem
After post the screen flashes abit and the patern changes to multicoloured squares, then lots of lines and random colours all on the move.
the 512Mb card isnt as bad, you can just make out the boot select screen with safe mode and stuff....

For me this happens all the time, even after restarting several times on both cards, and in all 3 pcie slots.
If I cant find a solution, then im going to have to go through the RMA thing with inno3d, the warranty isnt void as far as I know, I didnt buy this from a Shop, and I was told that it was untested.

My system
Asus P5N32-SLI PREMIUM wifi-ap edition
core2 quad Q6600 (not GO)
Asus EN8800gt 512mb(at the moment)
4Gb elixir ddr2 800
750w power supply

G

Hi taylor138,

I just have a problem same of yours ,but I'm using Inno3d 9800 GT .Did you find a solution ? coz I don't see a replay for you?

My System

Asus CrossHair ,Nvidia 590 SLi chip set.
Athalon X2 4200 +
4 GB DDR2 800 RAM
1000 W power supply

Regards
Ahmed K.

saumya

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Hi,
sorry to post in a thread that has been inactive for months but i can relate my problem to this one perfectly.

Just wanted to ask if poster or anyone having similar problem found a solution ??

Its a wierd problem,it doesnt happen everytime i boot so i cant take it to engineer guy.

Please help.
Thanks in Advance.