GA-EP45-UD3R, and other questions...

kutark

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Hey all, my current motherboard has been acting skittish and i'm fairly certain its responsible for some of my system instability. I've noticed at idle that the northbridge has crept up from being around mid to high 30's to now approaching high 40's degrees centigrade.

I've checked all the fans, made sure to blow them out of dust, etc, and it hasn't helped.

So, i'm thinking about picking up a new motherboard, specifically the GA-EP45-UD3R

My current components are 4xGB Supertalent DDR2-800, which i believe is 5-5-5-12, in 4x 1gb modules.

CPU is C2D E6600.

The system is assembled in a Coolermaster Praetorian 730.

My goal is 1st and foremost system stability. Secondarily i would like to be able to overclock the processor. When i originally put the system together, i had purchased a Tuniq 120 for the CPU, but found out it was about an inch too tall for the case, due to the removable motherboard tray, which i forgot to account for when i was researching interior dimensions.

Either way, i was hoping for opinions on this motherboard, as i hear its a paragon of stability when overclocking, i also was hoping someone could give reccomendations as to a decent air based CPU cooler that is not very tall that will still produce decent results. If i could get ~3.2 Ghz stable off the CPU i would be very pleased.

As always i appreciate your guys knowledge and willingness to help out ;-). Thanks again.

caniba

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
I have the UDR3 and it is great and easy to OC. Just make sure your PSU is not what is giving you the problems you currently have if you are not going to upgrade it also. A bad PSU gave give you all sorts of weird problems.

kutark

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Ya, its definitely not the PSU. Oddly the first PSU i had bought when i built the system was not up to the task and was causing instability, took me a while to figure out, but i ended up replacing it with a much nicer quality coolermaster with >80% efficiency, which has been great ever since.

I'm almost positive its the mobo as the temps on the northbridge will hit mid 50's C when im in game and hover around 46/47 ish at idle, compared to my CPU which is generally around 38/39 ish at idle.