Sign in with
Your question

Raid0 hdd with a ssd

Last response: in Storage
January 27, 2010 7:22:11 PM

I just upgraded my computer to 2 hdd's in raid 0 and i was wondering if when i eventually get a ssd of the same storage capacity(500gb) could i raid 0 it with my 2 current hdd's

More about : raid0 hdd ssd

a c 127 G Storage
January 27, 2010 7:47:58 PM

You can, but:

1) you would lose the current data on the RAID0; meaning you would have 're-format' the raid0; losing all data currently on it
2) it won't add to performance; as the SSD's low access times will be raped by the HDDs access times; meaning any performance benefit is close to zero.
3) it won't increase the reliability of the RAID either; since RAID0 stores segments on the vulnerable HDDs.

An SSD is very much the opposite of what a HDD is:

HDD focuses on mass-storage with low price per GB
SSD focuses on performance with only limited storage space, much like SAS 15k HDDs.

HDDs are fast on sequential transfers, but slower than a turtle when involving random I/O. SSDs may actually be faster with random I/O than sequential I/O, depending on the degree of intelligence of the SSD controller. So actually sequential I/O is a bottleneck for the SSD, while random I/O is almost as fast or in some weird cases even faster. An SSD can be many hundreds of times faster than HDDs regarding random I/O.

So just use HDDs for mass storage, and use SSDs as system drive running your operating system. That's pretty much how the technology was meant to be used; not to completely replace HDDs as for mass-storage HDDs are still the better choice given a budget constraint.
m
l
!