Strickland

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
I just built a new PC with the following:

Asus P6T Deluxe MoBo
i7 920 Intel
6 gb Corsair 1600 (3 x 2gb)
Asus 9800 GTX+

I also have a WD 1 tb HD (SATA) and an older WD 120 gb HD (IDE). I also installed a new Samsung DVD burner (IDE).

I installed the SATA drive on SATA 1. I had to run the 120 gb drive and the DVD burner on a single IDE cable as there is only once connection. The DVD is setup for Slave and the 120 HD was setup for Master.

The old 120 gb drive had XP 32 installed on it from old system. I installed XP64 on the 1Tb drive.

First time booting into OS, I get prompted whether I want to boot XP32 or XP64. I chose 64. When I go to the directory, it has my old 120 drive as C:, my DVD as D: and my new 1tb SATA as E:

Any changes I make ot the BIOS to put the SATA drive as first on the boot priority, I keep getting to an error where it says something like "Insert Boot media or select correct boot device".

I even unplugged the 120 drive from the system, now all I can get is that same error message.

I have tried disabling the SAS RAID controller, same message.

I want the 1tb drive to have XP64 and be my main C:. The older 120 was for pure backup. I was going to copy the data I needed to the 1tb drive and then wipe it clean.

Right now, I would like to just be able to boot up normally without it.

Any help would be appreciated.

youki

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Because the level of the IDE is prior to SATA device.
Un-plug the IDE HDD for a while, only connect the SATA HDD to install the OS, after finishing installing the OS with the SATA HDD, you could plug the IDE HDD together, then enter BIOS to choose boot from SATA HDD.

G

Did you install the Sata Raid Drivers when you installed the OS. See Asus install Dvd

scrumhalf

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004
Basically, what happened is that the IDE drive has your boot loader. The SATA drive doesn't have any boot loader in it, so it doesn't know what to do with just that drive connected. The best thing to do is to unplug the IDE drive and reinstall, or attempt to repair the XP64 installation with just the SATA drive connected. That will load the boot loader onto that drive.