Intel pressured Microsoft into misleading Windows Vista Capable label!

thunderman

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
Not exactly a new story....heres an update on this shocking story.Evil Intel bullied Microsoft into misleading computer buyers. Intel upto their usual tactics...

Article:
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/microsoft-intel-dealings-behind-vista/story.aspx?guid={8800D62B-FC67-4A20-8E18-0000BFC810FA}&dist=msr_3

Quotes
SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Newly public documents from a class-action lawsuit have shed more light on the wrangling behind the scenes between Microsoft Corp. and Intel Corp. that helped result in a troubled release for Microsoft's latest version of its flagship Windows

The unsealed documents indicate that Microsoft acted under pressure from Intel, which was concerned that its chips would be left out of the promotional campaign due to technical requirements they didn't meet.

Specifically, Intel's 915 chips weren't up to handling WDDM, or technology required to provide Vista users with better graphics and greater stability. Microsoft initially told Intel that because of this, computers with the 915 chips couldn't be marketed as Vista Capable. That was met with anger and confusion on Intel's part, according to court documents.

According to the documents, an email from Microsoft employee Rajesh Srinavasan estimated in January 2006 that for Intel, missing out on the Vista promotion could mean losing business to competitors, such as Advanced Micro Devices Inc. (AMD:
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc "Here is how [Intel's] potential costs could get into the billions," Srinavasan wrote in an email

In an email, Intel executive Renee James told a Microsoft executive that "Paul did send a note to Steve [Ballmer] thanking him for listening and making these changes." One day after that email was sent, according to court documents, Microsoft announced that an ability to handle WDDM was no longer a requirement for hardware with a Vista Capable logo

Jim Allchin, who in 2006 was Microsoft's co-president of platform products and services, wrote in an email that by dropping an ability to handle WDDM as a requirement for the Vista Capable campaign, "I believe we are going to be misleading customers."

AMD the Moral choice!!

I'm Thunderman (unofficial AMD fan leader)....Intel exposer

AMD4life!!

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Ya we have all known this for 1-2 years thanks for the update.

Word, Playa.

Actually I have read it was miscomunication on behalf of both sides. So it was a combination of both sides really.

And seriousyl thunderman, grasping straws now are we?

Its going to start getting really sad real soon.

Troll_Alert_1a.gif

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Aw poor little Microsoft... they were bullied into a corner by the giant Intel. It's not like MS doesn't have any money to stand on its own...

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Mister half-inch and AMD, what a power pair. He's not really an AMD fanboy, just an employee trying to swim against the FLUSH of the current... I hear Radio Shack is hiring for the holidays!

I won't comment on what happened on the corporate side of the whole vista launch thing, but I will say this. I worked retail selling computers during the launch and the information about vista capable vs. vista ready was there for the employees to pass on to the customer. However it was not made mandatory or readily available. (employees are given access to additional training by various partners, in this case microsoft.) So really I feel the blame should fall on retail outlets, which MS has no control over. Just my 2 cents on old news.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Yes, I feel your pain. Vista ready = can run Vista. Vista capable = well... Vista capable. A lot like the gaming specs. :lol:

I don't like Vista, because of the DRM, so I don't care, but it's fun to watch.

Intel?... no Vista! uh... er... MS.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I will excuse Canadian Marxism very easily, just don't think it's correct.

I love Marxism as much as the next guy, unfortunately it doesn't work.

Maybe Dagger should PM me instead.

thunderman

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
When Intel Bullied Microsoft into labelling Hardware... not capable of handling that Best vista experience as 'Vista capable'.....They mislead their customers. It's my opinion that Microsoft is the Victim here...It's unfair as poor Microsoft will take the wrap while Intel can go and start more evil plans.

Intel may find themselves at the mercy of AMD soon.... when 45nm Phenoms hit!

AMD4Life!!

Very interesting information. I read through a large part of the legal brief. It really says more about Microsoft than it does Intel. All companies were looking out for their best interests, including Microsoft at first. However, Microsoft which took a firm stance at first to have WDDM compatibility as a requirement for "Vista Ready" gave into the pressures of Intel and many other parties to drop one of the core benefits of Vista as a requirement.

Really, in the end, it's shame on Microsoft for losing their balls part-way through.

In other news, AMD stock still struggles to stay above $2.50.

piesquared

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Such is the danger of both sides having > %80 marketshare. And let's not forget about the consumer here, after all they are the ones ultimately paying the price.

Other big losers in the process include AMD, NV, HP, etc. who poured in R&D capital, adhered to the requirements and had hardware ready and suited for launch. These players stood to gain significant revenue from the abyss that would have been left by Intel's lack of hardware support. The only big winner really, WAS Intel who were allowed to bring their subpar hardware to the table, and not sitting in a warehouse collecting dust.

Microsoft gained nothing but a serious backlash and a damaged reputation. Obviously though, they only have themselves to blame, and should have left their foot down.

So I think in order to find out where to point the finger, you just have to evaluate who had and did have the most to gain.

RoyalCask

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008

Ahh... Will somebody pwease get Tunderman a dum dum to make him feew betto.... :cry:

Seriously... do you not have anything better to talk about? : De-Bump :