Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

O/C intel core2 q6600 vs. E8400.

Last response: in CPUs
Share
November 15, 2008 9:57:23 PM

Hey there. im wanna buy a new motherboard and proccessor, and i wanna overclock! but i dont reli know wat hardware to get. from i can work out these two are gd choices (and i can afford them...just). i wanna use it for games mainly and the other normal stuff.

oh... and would an asus P5QL PRO motherboard do the job? or do i need somthing better like a ausus P5Q?

yeh srry one more question.... how much is O/Cing gonna reduce the life of the hardware?

cheeeers :D 
November 15, 2008 10:00:51 PM

e8400 new e0 = 4.2=4.4
old g6600 go standard is 3.6 range is 3.4-3.8 for intel mobos and slightly less for under powered nvidia chipsets

p5q pro rocks i build 2 systems this week both clock to 3.8ghz and shipped at 3.6

oc is strait forward and easy 1.47v cpu and memory at 2.04-2.1 for ddr800 4-4-4

gskill is the best


oc-ing will not reduce the life of a normal computer

1) you do not run it 24/2
2) you do not run at max when you do run it

i only build oc systems and every one since 2003 is set up the same way! cpu will last years and years and if it did break you can get an 3 year old cpu for $25-$40 today
November 15, 2008 10:09:02 PM

read this i wrote this about the q6600 ~ 16 months - 4/1ghz was the sweet spot for p4 single core cpu's we shipped p4 560j for a year and half with zero failures and max temp was 75-70c

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/244351-28-61ghz-1ghz

my point is we building 3.6 systems for over year - i have 2 burning know

key is cpu coooler

thermalright ultra120 or the new 90

zerotherm is good

xig is a great deal

make sure you use lots and lots of thermal compound with all of them - dished or exposed pipes. exposed pipes need to burned in and reinstalled if you use Arctic to push the compound into the heat piper crevice

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250728-28-xigmateck-t...




Related resources
November 15, 2008 10:34:35 PM

thxs dragonsprayer, gd advice and useful link. thxs :D 

but im still not sure what processor to get or wat mother board....lol

altho i might strech to a P5Q pro if its that gd.
November 15, 2008 10:40:33 PM

and what would i want to overclock the FrontSideBuses to? (P5Q 1600mhz max)
November 15, 2008 10:55:30 PM

thepigeon said:
and what would i want to overclock the FrontSideBuses to? (P5Q 1600mhz max)


1600mhz = 4x400 -> 9x400 = 3.6ghz -> 8.5x400 = 3.4ghz
At 1600mhz fsb, q6600 (9x multiplier) runs at 3.6ghz, e8400 (8.5x multiplier) runs at 3.4ghz.

Another factor is voltage. Different cpus tolerate voltages differently. Intel's official recommended voltage is 1.5v for q6600, and 1.3 for e8400. It's okay to overvolt, but not by too much.
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLA...

Then there is temperature. Thermal threshold is 71C, you need to keep it below that. Q6600 will run hotter than e8400. In a well ventilated case, I get 57C max load with q6600 at 3.6ghz, at 4ghz, it rises to 69C, which is too close to 71C. Get a good aftermarker cooler.
http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm
November 15, 2008 11:13:33 PM

oh right thats wat the multiplyer all about. cheers for that lol (learnin curve i guess)

so actualy with a 1600mhz font side bus motherboard the q6600 can run much faster? or can i overclock the motherboard aswell?

and also maybe would a intel Q9300 be better than the q6600... because somehow there the same price.
November 16, 2008 12:26:04 AM

thepigeon said:
oh right thats wat the multiplyer all about. cheers for that lol (learnin curve i guess)

so actualy with a 1600mhz font side bus motherboard the q6600 can run much faster? or can i overclock the motherboard aswell?

and also maybe would a intel Q9300 be better than the q6600... because somehow there the same price.


Q9300 runs 7.5x multiplier. 1600 = 4x400 -> 7.5x400 = 3ghz. It's not meant for overclocking. You should stick to your original choices.

As for fsb, you can always try to push it beyond 1600mhz. It's a matter of skill, and luck.
a b V Motherboard
November 16, 2008 1:00:32 AM

Hey Dragonsprayer,

"oc-ing will not reduce the life of a normal computer

1) you do not run it 24/2
2) you do not run at max when you do run it

i only build oc systems and every one since 2003 is set up the same way! cpu will last years and years and if it did break you can get an 3 year old cpu for $25-$40 today"

1. Are you suggesting not running the overclocked computer for more than two hours a day for 24 days, or two days for 24 hours...

2. An OVERCLOCKED CPU is RUNNING BEYOND MAX always, so I guess you never turn it on!

3. I've built systems since 1986, checking the end user as to what his REAL needs are, it's very simple to to tailor a system that does it's job. I TRULY haven't had to replace ANY hardware out of pocket, having the end user buy the parts from a reputable source. There's NO NEED to overclock in the REAL world.


Lots and lots of thermal compound...

What an IDIOT, it's supposed to fill in the MICRO grooves an indentations on the heatsink, not bask like caulking in your bathtub. You only want to use the smallest amount, just where the CPU and heat actually touch... please, GET A REAL JOB!!
November 16, 2008 1:04:29 AM

guess i just gotta hope for gd batches.

and does this mean that i could overclock past the mutliplyer worked out clock speed. e.g. 3.6ghz at 1600mhz fsb? or would i have to overclock the fsb aswell? (that my kinda my goal)

thxs 4 all the help so far.... srry to ask for more.
November 16, 2008 1:46:07 AM

marcellis22 said:
Hey Dragonsprayer,

"oc-ing will not reduce the life of a normal computer

1) you do not run it 24/2
2) you do not run at max when you do run it

i only build oc systems and every one since 2003 is set up the same way! cpu will last years and years and if it did break you can get an 3 year old cpu for $25-$40 today"

1. Are you suggesting not running the overclocked computer for more than two hours a day for 24 days, or two days for 24 hours...

2. An OVERCLOCKED CPU is RUNNING BEYOND MAX always, so I guess you never turn it on!

3. I've built systems since 1986, checking the end user as to what his REAL needs are, it's very simple to to tailor a system that does it's job. I TRULY haven't had to replace ANY hardware out of pocket, having the end user buy the parts from a reputable source. There's NO NEED to overclock in the REAL world.


Lots and lots of thermal compound...

What an IDIOT, it's supposed to fill in the MICRO grooves an indentations on the heatsink, not bask like caulking in your bathtub. You only want to use the smallest amount, just where the CPU and heat actually touch... please, GET A REAL JOB!!


Actually, if you ever handled a heatsink with a direct heat pipe contact you would know that they require fairly more thermal paste than a normal one to fill in the groves between the pipes and metal assembly.

As for "There's NO NEED to overclock in the REAL world." you realise this is a community of enthusiasts who try to push the most out of their hardware, and yes their is immense benefits for us enthusiasts.

Your post brings nothing constructive to this thread. All you're doing is bashing on someone who actually has experience with the said processor giving out his advice (which actually works).
!