Suddenly no video signal

Petufo

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
My computer has been working great for 2years (It's a 2 yr old system) then the other day it suddenly displayed black on screen with many tiny green verticle lines (looked like the Matrix intro w/ lines instead of #'s). I thought it might be either graphics card or RAM problem.

I took out 2 0f 4 sticks of 1GB RAM and powerd back on...got a different look ( purple and yellow artifacting of the screen. After booting this time I got 4 short double beeps from the BIOS (Award BIOS). So, I bought a new graphics card and new RAM and now I get no video signal at all and still get the 4 short double beeps. If I put the old RAM back in I get no video signal either.

I've tried resetting the CMOS, unplugging the Hard Drives and I pulled the processor to check for any signs of damage and the processor looks new.

Thank you in advance for any help!!! I'm about to pull my hair out!

ASUS M2N32 SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 1MB per core
2 WD Caviar 200GB
4 x 1GB Patriot DDR2 800 PC 6400
PNY Quadro FX 3400 PCI-E
Enermax PSU EG565P-FMA REV.2.0 535W
Windows XP Pro

Petufo

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
When I power the computer on it does the 4 short double beeps then everything powers on, all fans are working as normal, you can here the beep after POST, but no video signal. THe LCD monitor works fine I tested it w/ laptop.

Thanks for any help!

PSUs die in different ways. They can still supply power, but the milk is soured, so to speak.

It's not a great PSU brand... you get what you pay for usually. The fact that a new GPU seemed to make it worse supports the PSU theory somewhat.