Sign in with
Your question

Noticeable or Slight performance

Last response: in CPUs
November 16, 2008 2:58:22 AM

im referring to athlon 5000+ Brisbane Stock and Athlon 6000+ x2 stock. No OC with my board! and this is paired with Visiontek 4850 with games Like COD5,COD4,Farcry2,Fallout3 . . . with all eye candy on. The thing I can't stand is sometimes it stutter especially moving in wasteland.

Will i be able to see noticeable experience among the 2 CPUs? Can't find any comparison with both and I don't know how will 400MHZ and 1MB of extra cache do compared with my 5000+. Im looking for a cheap but noticeable in performance as well.

Please don't suggest Intel unless i have slight increase. I just want to move away that .9 stutter and remove bottleneck with my 4850. Hope 6000+ is enough so I won't spend at this point of time... :pfff: 
November 16, 2008 5:06:37 AM

6000+ should do the trick, you could also buy the 6400+ but you need to buy a fan along with it.

The 6000 has 3.1 ghz stock speed, and depending on your mobo it'll be hard to OC. but you probably don't even have to.

People say Far cry 2 and Fallout, crysis and all those games make a huge performance difference once you reach a cpu speed above 3ghz (note: this is what people told me so far)

Thing however is (wich i'm questioning myself either) how long this CPU will stay a decent one.

Intell just released their new cpu's, while amd's phenom x4 can barely beat a core 2 quad. and now they even have to face the new corei7 cpu's (wich seem to do a great job)

so yeah, i'm wondering what amd is gonna come up with

the 6000/6400+ are the best cpu's in the am2 dual core genre, and its less likely they'll come with something extremely better anytime soon.

I'm still doubting between buying either a 6400+ amd; or just saving up money (wich would take a few months for me) for an intell p45 mobo along with a core 2 quad 6600.
November 16, 2008 6:21:38 AM

the 3.1GHZ amd has less L2 i think, but lower TDP i think.will it be better with the 3.0 with bigger L2?. my board can't go with 125TDP, im only up till 95.my last choice is the 6000+, or will wait for KUMA x2. my board is m2n-mx plus asus, i hate to OC because i don't have voltage control with my mobo. cpu-z shows with/without the coolnquite that it reaches around 1.5V in the core and I have a cheap gigabyte cooler that keeps it 57deg. thing is if I OC my 5000+ to 3.0, my FPS drops at around 2 minute interval to around 4FPS for around 5 seconds and then back to normal. I don't know if OCing my PCI-E will help stabilize this, it did before but there are times I still experience the drop in performance and and im scared to damage my VC. My psu is enough for this, I have 3 HD,1 DVDRW 3 FANS and 550W +12 is 38Amps. Im also thinking of x3 BE 8750 but how will it go against 6000+ x2 in terms of the games i play?if they are pretty much the same, or better, will go with it. But since i don't have control over my voltage, will an option show in bios about unlocked multi?

And OCIng my CPU still maintains same temps. I really just want to spend what is enough to enjoy those game at 60FPS stable as possible. as hardware is a never ending story.
Related resources
November 16, 2008 1:39:10 PM

cimpercee said:
the 3.1GHZ amd has less L2 i think, but lower TDP i think.will it be better with the 3.0 with bigger L2?. my board can't go with 125TDP, im only up till 95.my last choice is the 6000+, or will wait for KUMA x2. my board is m2n-mx plus asus, i hate to OC because i don't have voltage control with my mobo. cpu-z shows with/without the coolnquite that it reaches around 1.5V in the core and I have a cheap gigabyte cooler that keeps it 57deg. thing is if I OC my 5000+ to 3.0, my FPS drops at around 2 minute interval to around 4FPS for around 5 seconds and then back to normal. I don't know if OCing my PCI-E will help stabilize this, it did before but there are times I still experience the drop in performance and and im scared to damage my VC. My psu is enough for this, I have 3 HD,1 DVDRW 3 FANS and 550W +12 is 38Amps. Im also thinking of x3 BE 8750 but how will it go against 6000+ x2 in terms of the games i play?if they are pretty much the same, or better, will go with it. But since i don't have control over my voltage, will an option show in bios about unlocked multi?

And OCIng my CPU still maintains same temps. I really just want to spend what is enough to enjoy those game at 60FPS stable as possible. as hardware is a never ending story.

I personaly am not a fan of voltage tweaking and stuff. I once tried to the AUTO feature on my asus m2n-e mobo and it brought my cpu to 2.5 instead of 2.4 and my Dram freq to 420 instead of 400.
My cpu also gets to hat to even OC at decent clock speed.

And I don't think there's any asus mobo that supports easy oc'ing like the intell ones. and i wouldn't buy an x3.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-phenom-x3-8750-review...

These benchmakrs also have x2 4850 inside them, and its almost as good. unless you find a way to OC that cpu you'll be having a bad cpu till then. I'd say go with the 6000+ or save up for intell quad. The quads & 3x are a bad release imo
November 16, 2008 2:05:55 PM

cimpercee said:

Both 90nm Windsor 6000+ and 65nm Brisbane 6000+ have official TDP of 89w. You're better off with the older Windsor. It performs better. Ever wonder why AMD is in a hole right now? They replaced a superior cpu with an inferior one.
http://hothardware.com/Articles/AMD-Athlon-64-X2-65nm-B...

November 16, 2008 9:09:44 PM

I will go with athlon 6000+ then. I hate to say but my board doesn't allow me to do anything with the voltages. I think my CPU will OC with 3.0 if I can manually set voltages on it. Kuma is nowhere to be seen and I can really feel my 5000+ struggles with my HD4850. I think it well help a lot buying one.
I wish you have 6000+ vs 5000+ but I guess they are not comparable so maybe thats why I can't find any.
!