Sign in with
Your question

Power sags bad on PC?

Last response: in Components
November 16, 2008 6:45:03 AM

I was not sure exactly where to put this but anyway whenever the refrigirator turns on (or any major appliance) the lights flicker for a little under a second.

I was wondering how dangerous this is for my pc, apparantly if the lights are not getting full power then my pc must not be also. I mainly wonder because it seems like the refrigirator turns on like every 15 min!

More about : power sags bad

November 16, 2008 8:07:47 AM

Most PSU's can compensate for it, but it does stress it a fair amount.
November 16, 2008 8:11:15 AM

So you think this would only damage the PSU then?

I don't have a completly generic PSU (Thermaltake purepower) so I hope it can take it pretty good.

I have the pc plugged into an APC UPS but it almost never turns on... (it beeps **** LOUD when it goes into battery mode)

I guess the voltage drop is not enough to set the UPS off or something... it's only gone off one time so far.
Related resources
November 16, 2008 8:20:46 AM

Yeah, thats a good PSU. You have nothing to concern yourself with. The extra work the PSU has to do is really only an issue if its continuous (it can overheat) but once in a while throughout the day is fine.
November 16, 2008 8:27:18 AM

Ah I see, so basically once every 15 minutes is fine so long as it does not sag for like 60 seconds straight?

What I don't understand is if the power supply is not getting the correct voltage then wouldn't the other parts of my pc not be getting the correct voltage either (video card, cpu, hdd, etc.) can those be damaged as well?
November 16, 2008 10:08:05 AM

I don't think it's as bad as it seems, having an automatic voltage regulator in your PSU will make up a bit for this.

Are your PC lights/fan speeds changing when this happens?
November 16, 2008 10:12:26 AM

If that happens there is no way that your pc can be damaged. I know I have that sometimes, just can't recall what causes it.
But if that happens it is just that for a few seconds that an other device needs extra power other devices get a little less power untill the power draw is constent again.
And you can't damage anything this way. It's not even that the rest doesn,t get enough power because it still gets enough it just gets a little less for a few seconds.

and about voltage what do you mean by correct voltage? I live in NL and we have a voltage of 220V till 230V so anything between that is ok. I just did a test om alot of sockets and that were at a high 228. but even if it were near a 238V this would not be a problem because electronics is made to run on a wide range of voltages. in NL mostly 215V-240V

so really don,t worry about it
November 16, 2008 10:50:03 AM

Surely wouldn't your UPS compensate for the small blip in power? The PSU/PC probably doesn't even know anything has happened.

The UPS beep doesn't happen because it is not a sustained drop in power.
November 16, 2008 11:24:14 AM

Almost all houses have this problem. I have not seen it kill any computers as it is still within the psu's acceptable voltage range. Even the ups may not go on battery if it is a fast blip.

My UPS never beeps on battery (turned it off in the software):p 
November 16, 2008 11:40:36 AM

If you notice PC stability issues during this time, look for a UPS with "Power Conditioning". This will provide constant clean power.
!