my XP got stuck on the log on screen. How do i address thi..

my XP got stuck on the log on screen. i didn't even have a username. some one
help me. i don't want to do anything yet because i have important files there.

"jaz215" <jaz215@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my XP got stuck on the log on screen. i didn't even have a username. some
> one
> help me. i don't want to do anything yet because i have important files
> there.

Lesson #1: *ALWAYS* back up important files.
Lesson #2: See Lesson #1.
Lesson #3: When your Computer will not boot past the Log On screen, refer
to Lesson #1.

You are about to learn a lesson about backing up important data the hard
way.

Have you tried a repair installation?

There are no guarantees that *anything* you do will preserve your "important
files".

A repair installation is your safest option, but it will not guarantees that
all your files will remain intact.

You have no one to blame for this other than yourself. In the future, you
should develop a backup strategy that will protect you important files.

Bobby

Hi,

Please give more information. At what point is it stuck - meaning how far
into the boot does it go? What was the last thing you were doing with the
system? Have your tried accessing Safe mode?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"jaz215" <jaz215@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my XP got stuck on the log on screen. i didn't even have a username. some
> one
> help me. i don't want to do anything yet because i have important files
> there.

Chad

Hi Jazz,

If your data is critical, consider getting a second drive, format it
then use data recovery software like "NTFS Reader" to try to recovery
your files. Only then worry about fixing or recovering your OS.

Here's some freeware data recovery tools you might find helpful:

http://free-backup.info/data-recovery-software.htm

Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS