my XP got stuck on the log on screen. How do i address thi..

my XP got stuck on the log on screen. i didn't even have a username. some one
help me. i don't want to do anything yet because i have important files there.
3 answers Last reply
More about stuck screen address

    "jaz215" <jaz215@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > my XP got stuck on the log on screen. i didn't even have a username. some
    > one
    > help me. i don't want to do anything yet because i have important files
    > there.

    Lesson #1: *ALWAYS* back up important files.
    Lesson #2: See Lesson #1.
    Lesson #3: When your Computer will not boot past the Log On screen, refer
    to Lesson #1.

    You are about to learn a lesson about backing up important data the hard
    way.

    Have you tried a repair installation?

    There are no guarantees that *anything* you do will preserve your "important
    files".

    A repair installation is your safest option, but it will not guarantees that
    all your files will remain intact.

    You have no one to blame for this other than yourself. In the future, you
    should develop a backup strategy that will protect you important files.

    Bobby

    Hi,

    Please give more information. At what point is it stuck - meaning how far
    into the boot does it go? What was the last thing you were doing with the
    system? Have your tried accessing Safe mode?

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "jaz215" <jaz215@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > my XP got stuck on the log on screen. i didn't even have a username. some
    > one
    > help me. i don't want to do anything yet because i have important files
    > there.

    Hi Jazz,

    If your data is critical, consider getting a second drive, format it
    then use data recovery software like "NTFS Reader" to try to recovery
    your files. Only then worry about fixing or recovering your OS.

    Here's some freeware data recovery tools you might find helpful:

    http://free-backup.info/data-recovery-software.htm

    Good luck!

Microsoft Windows XP