Sign in with
Your question

Problems with HD4870 on Crysis Warhead and Crysis Wars

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 22, 2008 7:32:25 PM

I have been frustrated with having low fps and poor performance on my Visiontek ATI HD 4870 in Crysis and Crysis Wars. I play on a 19" LCD screen at 1280 x 1024 and get about 10-15 fps on Enthusiast settings and about 15-20 fps on Gamer settings. This is about the same with both games. I overclocked my GPU to 790 MHz and the Memory clock to 1100 MHz which is all the way up. But i still get the same amount of fps. My computer is a Gateway gt5670 and here are the specs:

Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit, SP1)
AMD Phenom 8400 Triple-Core Processor 2.1GHz (3MB L3 Cache, 3600Mhz Bus)
NVIDIA 6150SE Integrated Graphics with up to 128MB shared memory <<<<< (Changed to ATI 4870)
3GB DDR2 Memory (2 x 1GB, 2 x 512MB, up to 4GB)
320GB 7200rpm Western Digital Hard Drive
DVD Burner 18X Max with LabelFlash
15-1 Media Card Reader
56k PCI Data/Fax Modem
Dimensions (WxDxH): 15.6" x 7.2" x 16.10"
Weight: 23.4lbs
300W Power Supply <<<<< (Changed to a 650W BFG Tech)

Please Help me??

September 22, 2008 7:47:15 PM

k1shotz said:

Weight: 23.4lbs

Well, I would simply say your rig does not weigh enough. :) 

No, but seriously. I'm no expert on integrated graphics, but perhaps your computer still thinks you're using your old card. Make sure in your display settings it shows your 4870 as being active.

Other than that, Vista 32-bit only allows for a max of <4GB of memory of which 3GB is taken by your RAM and (probably) 512 by the 4870. On top of that is the memory from the integrated card(assuming you can't take it out since it's integrated). So some memory from your video card may not be getting recognized.
September 22, 2008 7:54:53 PM

I don't think a processor, no matter how many cores it has, at 2.1ghz is it enough for Crysis? The post above me is also correct in regards to memroy.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2008 7:59:10 PM

Although i've having different problems with war head, there are kind of similarities

I have a 4870 and in crysis at 1920 X 1200 i got an average benchmark score of 37 fps... thats pretty good. Nice smooth frames and what not.

Now in war head the campaign I get about an average of 37 fps on gamer at the same resolution so first off... its bunk that it's optimized...

AND in multiplayer I can't get frame rates above 30 unless the settings are on medium.... how stupid is that... I get worst frames on multiplayer... I have to play on MEDIUM with an amazing card... when in the original crysis I could play on high no matter what....

Its so bunk that this game is more optimized... it doesn't even really look better, in any meaning of the word "better" (except smoke, thats noticeably better).

Although the game is great, there are a bunch of issues with it, like performing on par or worse than the original at the same settings.

Aside from that stuff, your processor is probably holding you back A LOT, as it barely pushes 2 ghz and isn't even comparable to a conroe. Also in your mobos bios makesure that you turn off the integrated graphics (usually under integrated peripherals or something like that). Do not however change anything else. Unless you want to try overclocking, which I doubt it will let you considering its a gateway.
September 22, 2008 8:01:06 PM

Ya more memory with vista 64 might help and turn off AA.

1 4870 wont play with all the eye candy, you still got to sacrifice some.
September 22, 2008 8:11:07 PM

So I understand a better processor with more MHz and memory would help to fix this problem. I can't do anything about the processor, but how would I delete all the contents of the integrated nvidia stuff besides deleting the drivers when i go to add/remove programs?

As for what thogrom mentioned about Crysis Warhead and Crysis Wars. So Crysis original is better to play on? Does the Crysis multiplayer give more fps and performance than Crysis Wars?
September 22, 2008 8:18:42 PM

k1shotz said:
So I understand a better processor with more MHz and memory would help to fix this problem. I can't do anything about the processor, but how would I delete all the contents of the integrated nvidia stuff besides deleting the drivers when i go to add/remove programs?

As for what thogrom mentioned about Crysis Warhead and Crysis Wars. So Crysis original is better to play on? Does the Crysis multiplayer give more fps and performance than Crysis Wars?

Why don't you try overclocking your processor?
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2008 8:22:31 PM

hard game to run. i got my rig to run it maxed out at 1680x1050 16aa and i avg 30+fps. (check rig below)
2.1ghz wont cut it playing the game at max detail. oc ur cpu and as for ur graphic card ati cards are not optimized for the game like nvidia cards are.
oc cpu and gpu is all the advice i can give.
having 64bit and 4gig always helps.
=]
September 22, 2008 8:24:19 PM

Lol. How do I overclock my CPU? Sorry I slow on computers
September 22, 2008 8:47:14 PM

You see me? I see you guys with all the trouble playing a game like Crysis and I say thank you for the beta testing that you are doing for me.
When the new Crysis optimized render engine comes out and some of the hot video cards get less expensive, then I will get the game and play it.
September 22, 2008 9:06:48 PM

Q6600 at 3.0ghz and a 4850 drops to like 1-2 fps every now and then :|

I had to drop the settings down to mainstream to get it playable in one firefight :( 
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2008 9:46:42 PM

bobbknight said:
You see me? I see you guys with all the trouble playing a game like Crysis and I say thank you for the beta testing that you are doing for me.
When the new Crysis optimized render engine comes out and some of the hot video cards get less expensive, then I will get the game and play it.

no problem beta testing it for u. im not struggling to run it on my system. while u wait the rest of us r having fun playing it. =]

u probably cant with ur mobo its from gateway right? wat mobo is it? manufacture prevent oc on mobo. go onto ur bios and see if they give u any oc features such as fsb, multiplier or any voltage controls.
also to get more performance disable aero.
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2008 10:02:00 PM

That you mention you OC'ed your GPU and VRAM and saw no difference should give you an indication of where the issue lies... elsewhere.

Main culprit, likely the CPU not being powerful enough. Also did you upgrade from the Geforce intergrated graphics? Did you use driver cleaner pro or some other tool to remove all traces of nV's old drivers and be sure they didn't re-install on their own?
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2008 10:10:45 PM

More than likely he cant oc his cpu, he may be havind issues with his integrated. Go into your bios, do you know how? If so, switch to use pcie. Download gpuz and see what it says, to make sure your rig is using your card properly. What driver are you using? Make sure you download and are using the 8.9 driver from ATI. Go here http://www.tweakguides.com/ and tweak your game for best performance/playability while maintaining your visual quality.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2008 11:05:40 PM

gonna try it out right now

hopefully it will help me out even though i'm higher resolution

probably will help though because my high resolution will need the ram MORE

i'll update after I test

EDIT: Just a tip, copy a file from the game directory and then go into CVARS, and copy one of those files, then go back the main crysis war head directory that has bin32 and game and support and what not and then copy the file there, open the CFG file, delete everything and then paste this into it

con_restricted=0
sys_budget_videomem = 512
r_TexturesStreaming=0

and then save the file as autoexec.cfg

and then your done

at a resolution of 1920 by 1200 I got an average increase of 10 fps... thats a lot for crysis especially at such a high resolution, minimum frame rate is much better now and hardly ever drops below 30 on all gamer, and is often above 40 now

i'd expect a greater gain at resolutions like 1680 by 1050, and then lower gains as the resolution decreases as it will become more processor limited at that point

September 22, 2008 11:45:12 PM

atrain said:
No, but seriously. I'm no expert on integrated graphics, but perhaps your computer still thinks you're using your old card. Make sure in your display settings it shows your 4870 as being active.

maybe if his monitor is plugged into the integrated graphics vga port or whatever, then that would be the case, but he can't be that stupid can he?
September 22, 2008 11:48:01 PM

i know im kinda steeling a thread from k1shotz but theres no point of wasting my time making a new ne

how to you think crysis warhead will run on my pc '

pd 940 oc'ed to 3.6ghz
3 gigs of ram
ati 4870
7200 rpm hardrive
soundblaster xtreme gamer sound card

right now im running it at low with some medium settings turned on but im running a 7600gt and 2 gigs of ram. and im about to order the new video card and ram

im only running 1024 by 768

September 22, 2008 11:48:50 PM

Strange that everyone seems to be having more problems with warhead; I definitely feel like it is much better optimized than the original Crysis.

With warhead I just; cranked the settings up to enthusiast; rez up to 1920x1080 with 4xAA and it ran perfectly fine.
With the original Crysis I had to go through download custom .cfg files and even after that tweak more settings to be able to run the game at 1920x1080; while it did Finally work with the settings at high it was a PITA to setup.

My setup is:
qx6850 @ 3.52
4gb Gskill DDR2
WD Raptor
Visiontek HD4870 512mb
Asus P5E X38 mobo
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2008 1:14:05 AM

^ dude theres no f*cking way...

I have a better system in every respect... and I can't play at enthusiast with 4 AA... hell w/o the AA is still kind of laggy...

Maybe your definition of playable is different then mine... but as long as the FPS is ALWAYS, (apart from a few dips) above 30 fps... then it's playable...

in the 20's is not ok... I notice significant turning lag and game slow down at those frame rates
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2008 2:04:58 AM

im playing mine on everything on enthusiast at 1680x1050 and 16aa avg 30+.
games scales pretty well if anyone is curious.
cal8949 u have a nice setup it should run on enthusiast depending on resolution.
September 23, 2008 2:09:19 AM

Quote:
^ dude theres no f*cking way...

I have a better system in every respect... and I can't play at enthusiast with 4 AA... hell w/o the AA is still kind of laggy...

Maybe your definition of playable is different then mine... but as long as the FPS is ALWAYS, (apart from a few dips) above 30 fps... then it's playable...

in the 20's is not ok... I notice significant turning lag and game slow down at those frame rates

I consider playable above 30fps as well. And it runs extremely smooth on my system, sometimes I get a slight dip but it seems to be in the most random of times and not during heavy action.
Does warhead have a timedemo or something? if so I'll run it for you and post it after the jets game :D 

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2008 10:23:23 PM

ok wondering whatis

I turned all settings to exactly yours... changed res from 1920 by 1200 to 1920 by 1080 and enthusiast on all and 4 AA

And i get just under 10 fps....

there is absolutely no way you can pull that off.... 10 fps is not playable AT ALL... i don't know why you think you can play... if you changed configs then thats fine... but the default enthusiast settings DO NOT PLAY AT THAT RES WITH 4 AA AND GET OVER 10 FPS ON A 4870....

please explain how you can get such good fps
!