Your question

E7400 TCase stuck

Last response: in Overclocking
November 13, 2009 8:12:03 PM

Hello all,
I'm having an interesting issue involving my E7400. First, my hardware:
Processor: Intel C2D E7400 @ 400x8.5 (3.4 GHz) ... Stock Cooler
Mobo: GA-EP43-UD3L, BIOS: F6

Issue occurs in Windows XP Professional. I am running both RealTemp and SpeedFan.
A lot of times when I game in XP, especially Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, my CPU cores hit values that I have set up to shut down the computer (80 C...the cores both use an offset of +9, so anywhere between 71 and 80 is more likely). When this happens, the TCase is usually about 60 C, sometimes a little less.

However, looking at every monitoring program I can have, TCase is currently (idle) 47 C (usually ~ 30 C), and my stock fan is running at leisurely (and impossible) 135000 RPM. My cores have settled back down to idle temps, but the TCase and the fan speed haven't moved at all. By the way, running Orthos Small FFTs still keep the TCase at 47 C, and it causes my cores to hit about 75 C, which NEVER happens. Usually my cores keep under 70 C even with a +9 C offset.

I run into this issue quite often. All I know is that a reboot does the trick, but having to constantly reboot the computer isn't exactly what I want to be doing.

What's going on??

More about : e7400 tcase stuck

November 15, 2009 9:39:21 PM

kornfan71 said:
Hello all,
I'm having an interesting issue involving my E7400. First, my hardware:
Processor: Intel C2D E7400 @ 400x8.5 (3.4 GHz) ... Stock Cooler
Mobo: GA-EP43-UD3L, BIOS: F6

Issue occurs in Windows XP Professional. I am running both RealTemp and SpeedFan.
A lot of times when I game in XP, especially Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, my CPU cores hit values that I have set up to shut down the computer (80 C...the cores both use an offset of +9, so anywhere between 71 and 80 is more likely). When this happens, the TCase is usually about 60 C, sometimes a little less.

However, looking at every monitoring program I can have, TCase is currently (idle) 47 C (usually ~ 30 C), and my stock fan is running at leisurely (and impossible) 135000 RPM. My cores have settled back down to idle temps, but the TCase and the fan speed haven't moved at all. By the way, running Orthos Small FFTs still keep the TCase at 47 C, and it causes my cores to hit about 75 C, which NEVER happens. Usually my cores keep under 70 C even with a +9 C offset.

I run into this issue quite often. All I know is that a reboot does the trick, but having to constantly reboot the computer isn't exactly what I want to be doing.

What's going on??

What your most likely running into is a conflict in the reporting software and not really a temperature issue as a whole.
At the bios level by design each monitored devise is snooped by the software through an msr (model specific register) assigned to that device
unfortunately not all msr's report what the software is looking for.
For instance the T-juntion value was not software readable in the server ,desktop ,or workstation platform until the i7 which is software readable.
The earlier t-juntion value referred to the mobile processor without the integrated heat spreader.
Thankfully in most cases the software writers imputed the value missing so that the output was more in line for what we needed to monitor core temperatures or fan speeds.
Heres the catch.
If one input is missing the output may be unreliable yet functional but if you load multiple temp and fan speed programs they conflict and you end up with registry errors that make the programs unresponsive or crash your system.
This is most prevalent when you use the motherboard software in conjunction with aftermarket programs.
Make sure you remove all traces of previously installed manufacturers oc or reporting software and try core temp ,real temp,or,speed fan individually.
m
l
December 6, 2009 1:49:01 AM

I think you have sticky core sensor I have a e7300 and the core #2 sensor are always 5º to 7º below. Without playing max core #1 tempi are 44º and core #2 always stuck in 38 (idle temp) with a TMG i1, Stressing with Prime 95 or Intelburntests give 48/43 core 1/2 but im start beleaving that core 2 have a diferent Tj Max. Still it doesnt explain such a slow movement in the sensor. Try to clean the stock cooler (is the boxed one? sometimes dust taps in the fins and prenvent good airflow) and apply new thermal grease. Once I did that and my core temps were always 2º different. Check and re check if it was bad mounting. I just dunno.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 12, 2009 1:07:01 AM

Thanks for the responses. I know that my core temps are messed up, but this is the TCase value, the one that is independent of the DTS's for the core temps. Maybe I needed to clarify on that.

I'm noticing now that rebooting doesn't always do the job. I was just in WinXP and was playing a game, and the TCase got stuck on 50 C. Rebooted and checked out the temp while in BIOS (about as idle as you can get) and it was still 50 C (ambient is about 18 C).
Since BIOS is reporting this outlandish temperature, I'd venture to say that the reporting software has nothing to do with the issue....Had to totally shut the computer down to make it report the real values.

What in the world is going on? Has anyone ever seen a TCase value get stuck?
Could it be due to the overclocking I did?
m
l
December 12, 2009 4:45:24 AM

At this point in time you have to do a process of elimination.
Try clearing the cmos
Reset the CPU and heatsink (sometimes this forces the board to refresh so to speak)
If you have access to another motherboard or CPU that would help determine the source of the problem.
I haven’t heard of thermal sensor faults like that since they were under the CPU on the motherboard.
Any way it sounds like its RMA time
m
l
December 16, 2009 2:08:21 AM

kwalker said:
At this point in time you have to do a process of elimination.
Try clearing the cmos
Reset the CPU and heatsink (sometimes this forces the board to refresh so to speak)
If you have access to another motherboard or CPU that would help determine the source of the problem.
I haven’t heard of thermal sensor faults like that since they were under the CPU on the motherboard.
Any way it sounds like its RMA time

I put all of the settings on "Fail-safe," and I'm currently looking at a TCase of 52 C (I was playing Crysis). I wish I had access to another mobo, but sadly, I do not. I'd rather not RMA it, due to the hassle it would cause me.

Looking back in my SpeedFan logs, I see that when my core temps were reaching about 75 (probably more like high 60's), my TCase was (supposedly) 52. It never budged. (The other problem being that artificial load would never get my core temps near the 70's, let alone a game. When the TCase gets stuck, the core temps seem to be reading too high.)

Is there any other way for me to tell if the problem is with the mobo versus the processor? I'm starting to feel like it's the motherboard, but there's really no way for me to tell (that I know of).

Thanks.
m
l
December 16, 2009 3:12:50 AM

kornfan71 said:
When the TCase gets stuck, the core temps seem to be reading too high

How high is too high?
Maybe the CPU is throttling.
Try re applying the thermal paste and reseating your HSF
If you’re not throttling crashing or rebooting then game away and ignore your temps
Just make sure you enable thermal protection (thermal monitor 2) in bios and PECI if the board has that option available
The E7400 is a low power unit (65W) but can take a good deal of punishment
With PECI and TM2 enabled the CPU will take care of itself commanding max fan speed with a PROCHOT assertion and THERMTRIP assertion with catastrophic failure shutting down the computer.
thermtrip is enabled in any event even withTM2 disabled in bios so in theory you can’t hurt this CPU.
m
l
December 16, 2009 7:25:54 PM

kwalker said:
How high is too high?
Maybe the CPU is throttling.
Try re applying the thermal paste and reseating your HSF
If you’re not throttling crashing or rebooting then game away and ignore your temps
Just make sure you enable thermal protection (thermal monitor 2) in bios and PECI if the board has that option available
The E7400 is a low power unit (65W) but can take a good deal of punishment
With PECI and TM2 enabled the CPU will take care of itself commanding max fan speed with a PROCHOT assertion and THERMTRIP assertion with catastrophic failure shutting down the computer.
thermtrip is enabled in any event even withTM2 disabled in bios so in theory you can’t hurt this CPU.

I've not noticed any throttling, assuming I'd know what to look for. (I guess it would severely slow down the computer? I dunno.) There hasn't been but the occasional ATI driver blue screen in Windows XP, and there have been no unexpected reboots or shutdowns.
I set up SpeedFan to interrupt my gaming when core temps reach 75 or 80, and a shut down at 85. Under normal conditions, the "warning" temps are never reached, but once the TCase gets stuck, the core temps easily reach warning temps, and have reached shutdown temps multiple times. (When the computer shut down once, I was on the Save Game screen in Crysis...not much of the CPU-utilizing activity IMO.) There has never been a hardware-level shutdown, except for an unrelated power supply issue (I think the cord got bumped out of the socket...).

I'm 90% sure TM2 is on, and I don't think my mobo has an option for PECI, but it does have auto fan control enabled, which appears to be BIOS-controlled.

Thanks for the help, and for putting my mind at ease! :D 
m
l
!