Sign in with
Your question

How to set a hard disk WD 1 5 TB to slave

Last response: in Storage
January 28, 2010 7:20:12 PM

Hello
how to set my sata hard disk wd to slave, my computer does not recognized the hard disk

More about : set hard disk slave

a b G Storage
January 28, 2010 9:17:15 PM

A few quick things you may want to check...

• Are your SATA cables tight? On both ends - the MoBo and the drive itself?
  • Is your power cable hooked up as well? Is it firmly seated?
  • If so, does the drive show up in Device Manager?
  • Does the drive show up in Disk Management? You may need to format it first...

Just some basic thoughts to get you started - you'd be surprised how many SATA cables appear to be connected but aren't quite on ALL the way. If none of this helps, I'm sure some more experienced users can provide some additional suggestions.

Steve
    m
    l
    a c 124 G Storage
    January 28, 2010 10:27:08 PM

In addition to what steve said....Master and Slave went out with IDE connectors.
    m
    l
    Related resources
    a c 361 G Storage
    January 29, 2010 1:10:09 PM

Master and Slave set with jumpers is ONLY for IDE (PATA) drives. There is no such thing as Master or Slave for any SATA unit. AND, there is no such thing as the "Master Drive with Slaves" for a whole machine.

Just as importantly, some SATA drives DO have jumpers on pins on their back edges. These are for setting other drive performance parameters and, with one exception, DO NOT CHANGE THE JUMPERS on a SATA drive! Unless, of course, you have read up on their function and know what you're doing.

The ONE exception comes up in the very specific situation where you have an older machine with an original SATA drive controller system, and add to it a newer SATA II drive unit. The SATA II drive can communicate twice as fast. The new SATA II drive is supposed to figure this all out and adjust itself automatically, but occasionally that fails. For that particular situation some SATA drive makers have a way to force the SATA II drive to revert to slower speeds to match the older SATA controller, and it is done by setting a jumper on the drive. If that is your situation, get the instructions from the HDD maker's website. Otherwise, leave them alone!
    m
    l
    February 16, 2010 11:55:31 PM

steve9207 said:
    A few quick things you may want to check...

• Are your SATA cables tight? On both ends - the MoBo and the drive itself?
  • Is your power cable hooked up as well? Is it firmly seated?
  • If so, does the drive show up in Device Manager?
  • Does the drive show up in Disk Management? You may need to format it first...

Just some basic thoughts to get you started - you'd be surprised how many SATA cables appear to be connected but aren't quite on ALL the way. If none of this helps, I'm sure some more experienced users can provide some additional suggestions.

Steve

• Dear Steve;
    Many thanks for your answer, yes the power cable to the SATA drive was damaged, so i changed it and everything was 100% again;
    Thanks a lot for the details.;
    de cubamd
    m
    l
    a b G Storage
    February 17, 2010 12:53:47 AM

decubamd said:
    Dear Steve;
    Many thanks for your answer, yes the power cable to the SATA drive was damaged, so i changed it and everything was 100% again;
    Thanks a lot for the details.;
    de cubamd

Glad to hear all is working now! Sometimes the simple things are the things that do it!

Steve
    m
    l
    !