Sign in with
Your question

I7 and X58 on newegg.co Just got mine!!!

Last response: in CPUs
November 16, 2008 2:27:52 PM

Yes, we just have to jump on it as it first comes out, when it's still overpriced. You'll get the buyer's remorse when it drops $100 in a month. :p 
November 16, 2008 2:28:08 PM

congrats!
let us know how it works out for ya.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2008 2:37:08 PM

Very cool!
If anyone buys these, please be sure to let us know how many bugs you run into, and if you thought spending all the extra cash for your setup was worth it.
November 16, 2008 2:40:47 PM

Will do. I only had the cash for the I7 920 and 6g of DDR3 ram, so I got to wait til next week to get the motherboard and after market cooler. I got everything else.

I wanted to get the 920 asap, because I suspect they will sell out soon, and be on backorder.

I'm gonna get the Asus P6T motherboard, and try to shoot for 4.0 :) 

Some might think its overkill but I convert movies on a daily basis and use winrar constantly on huge files.

Well Dagger, I'm sure it will drop $100 but more like 4-6 months, and I could care less, since $100 aint that much money. Atleast I dont buy a new $500 video card every 4 months like you do. a CPU is a better investment then a GPU in the terms of how long it will still be good.

Besides when they come down there will be 8 core and I will upgrade, then maybe you can afford my hand me down I7 920.

@ Dagger some more:
How do you figure the I7 overpriced?
It is out performing core 2 quad!
The rage right now is q9550 @ $319 and most x48 or 790i mobos are just as much as some of the x58 boards, so saying it is over priced is rediculous.
And with x58 you can do sli or xfire.
November 16, 2008 2:48:47 PM

no such thing as wrong opinion. we all buy things when we determine it to suit our interests the best. i am prepared to wait for the new tech premium to drop and bug fixes. i also don't want to spite myself in case Deneb is something great but i really like the CF/SLI flexibility. hope it works out for ya and I am sure there will be many to follow your path roadrunner! :) 
November 16, 2008 2:50:33 PM

I doubt there will be bugs. This is Intel, not AMD. If Deneb is better, I will but it, but I wont hold my breath.
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2008 2:54:15 PM

When are you going to assemble it? Can't wait for some feedback from you on this. I have been holding off for a long, long time with my old Socket 939 system for these to come out. I don't mind jumping into an i7 myself right now if you say that you are glad you did it... after you have it up and running!
November 16, 2008 2:59:13 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
I doubt there will be bugs. This is Intel, not AMD. If Deneb is better, I will but it, but I wont hold my breath.

Pentium II floating point bug anyone?

I'm sorry, no offense really, I just like playing devil's advocate. :D 
November 16, 2008 3:00:21 PM

It will be 2 weeks til I can get the motherboard, got kids birthday this week, and the CPU's will be on backorder before the motherboards are. I bought the CPU and 6g of ram and it was like $532 clams.

I will be posting pics and benches after it is up and running. Its gonna find its home in my new cooler master Cosmos 1000 I got for $139 free shipping.

I'm gonna paint the inside of the case and do some sick cable management.

Next month when I get my Xmas bonus, I'm gonna get 2 4850x2s and atleast 2 SSD drives in raid 0.
November 16, 2008 3:01:18 PM

LOL Pentium II, back when Intel was wet behind the ears.

LOL, Dagger was the same hater that said you could only overclock the extrem I7. She was wrong like she ususally is.
November 16, 2008 3:05:45 PM

roadrunner197069 said:

Deneb is a POS. It'll have trouble competing with Kentsfield/Yorkfield quads, much less Nehalem. Forget about it.
http://xtreview.com/addcomment-id-6100-view-AMD-45NM-de...

As for bugs in i7, it's possible, but not likely. The last time Intel had it is with P4, and not a serious one either.

As for value, i7 works beautifully in tasks such as encoding, but doesn't do as well in gaming, at least with single graphics card. Gaming performance is actually slightly lower at the same clock rate.

http://techgage.com/article/intel_core_i7_performance_p...

Why spend hundreds when you can just get a q6600 for $175, a p45 for less than $100, and overclock it to outperform a rig that cost several times as much? Besides, hardware always cost more at launch. Why not wait until price drop, especially when you existing cheap rig does the job well? :p 
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2008 3:08:15 PM

Grats, roadrunner, I wish i could afford it. I'm looking forward to your postings on it.
November 16, 2008 3:11:13 PM

wow, im glad im content with what i have lol.
im still very jealous though. hope you enjoy it!!!

oh yeh well, i have an AMD 5000+ x2 BE CPU.. ok, not exactly braggin rights :p 
November 16, 2008 3:11:54 PM

Ok dagger: Now go find a review where the single card isn't the bottleneck and see what results you get. I7 is chocking the single card in these games, lets not leave the possibility of what happens when all these chips are overclocked to their potentials, I7 will come out on top again.

Also lets not forget that software is on its way to being multi threaded. Windows 7 should run lots faster on I7 then qxxxx.
November 16, 2008 3:13:55 PM

Congrats, roadrunner.
Wish I had the funds to get a new setup, myself.
Enjoy your purchase.
November 16, 2008 3:16:09 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
Ok dagger: Now go find a review where the single card isn't the bottleneck and see what results you get. I7 is chocking the single card in these games, lets not leave the possibility of what happens when all these chips are overclocked to their potentials, I7 will come out on top again.

Also lets not forget that software is on its way to being multi threaded. Windows 7 should run lots faster on I7 then qxxxx.

hey comeon, stop critisizing her purchase.
shes happy with what she bought. and im sure her CPU is going to be alot faster then yours anyways. yes they do bottleneck but with another graphics card, that thing will pwn.:) 
November 16, 2008 3:16:22 PM

Dagger you realize your bench you showed you would be better of with the I7 920 as its cheaper then all the old tech in your benches? And your old tech are maxxed out where as the I7 is hungry for more.

November 16, 2008 3:18:27 PM

rambo117 said:
hey comeon, stop critisizing her purchase.
shes happy with what she bought. and im sure her CPU is going to be alot faster then yours anyways. yes they do bottleneck but with another graphics card, that thing will pwn.:) 

?????? Are you confused? I bought the I7 not her?????? Lay off the dope.
November 16, 2008 3:25:41 PM

Well, looking at Newegg's pricing for Core i7, the 920 and 940 are prices $35 and $37USD more over Intel's tray price, while the 965 is a whopping $70USD.

I'm sure the prices will go up more, if demand goes up, but right now, that's not that high a mark up as I would expect.
a c 159 à CPUs
November 16, 2008 3:26:14 PM

Keep us posted. I remember when a co-worker at IBM was talking about the $500 he had just spent for an Intel board with p3 450 about 14 years ago. Compared to those prices, the core i7 is reasonable. But the $49.99 I just spent on Wed for an e4500 and g33 ecs board are simply unbelievable. Kudos to Fry's (nobody beats a Fry's deal). If necessary, I will wait for a similar deal at Fry's a few years from now for the core i7.
November 16, 2008 3:28:31 PM

I agree the prices should go up do to demand. I expect Newegg to run out by the end of the week and prices to climb 40-50$

I remember when q6600 came out it was out of stock real fast and the price went way up.
November 16, 2008 3:29:06 PM

roadrunner197069 said:

You do realize that there are over 70 bugs present in the Core 2 processors right? http://download.intel.com/design/processor/specupdt/318733.pdf

Intel processors tend to have errata on the same frequency as AMD processors, the only difference being that Intel's mistakes get swept under the rug while AMD's ones get put under a spotlight.
November 16, 2008 3:30:10 PM

a e4500 and a g33 is a steal for $49, I would of bought it just to build a rig to sell. I wish there was a Frys around me but there aint even one in my State.
November 16, 2008 3:31:19 PM

Just_An_Engineer said:
You do realize that there are over 70 bugs present in the Core 2 processors right? http://download.intel.com/design/processor/specupdt/318733.pdf

Intel processors tend to have errata on the same frequency as AMD processors, the only difference being that Intel's mistakes get swept under the rug while AMD's ones get put under a spotlight.

Well, obviously those bugs dont affect my performance, so I cant complain.
November 16, 2008 3:31:44 PM

Quote:
Well Dagger, I'm sure it will drop $100 but more like 4-6 months, and I could care less, since $100 aint that much money.

that's very relative. $100 is alot, if it isn't, give it to me =]
November 16, 2008 3:33:19 PM

$100 today is like $20 10 years ago.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2008 3:42:33 PM

I think 100 dollars is a lot... especially on a 300$ item... thats a 33% price drop... like thats a lot... if it was a 100$ but was only a 5% price drop... doesn't matter that much... but as it is thats a substantial price drop... so a 100 is a lot... its all about percent not the price
November 16, 2008 3:46:38 PM

The 920 will not drop $100, unless Newegg and other retailers mark up the price a lot more.

It is only $35 more than what Intel's tray price of $284, at Newegg. So, if the 920 drops $100, then Newegg is selling it cheaper than the tray price set by Intel.

And yes, I think $100 is still a good chunk of money, but I spent $100 on my dog the other day for food, shots, and a chew toy. 3 things that won't last as long as a CPU.
November 16, 2008 4:04:25 PM

congrats roadrunner :)  opinions are subjective.

just let us know how it runs/you like it. and how the OC experience is like!

i know how you feel though to a certain degree. i was one of the first to get a Q9450 and everyone was excited when it came, i'm sure you'll feel the same/much happier since this is a new core!

enjoy your 1366 ;) 
November 16, 2008 4:13:41 PM

Quote:
Looks like they listened for once... That is a very reasonable price for all the motherboard you need. Once some decent DDR3 triple channel comes out I might pick this up. The only problem is I don't do anything that would justify it...

agree'd, pricing is VERY reasonable, compared to when i bought my x38 for like... i don't even remember lol
November 16, 2008 4:14:45 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
It will be 2 weeks til I can get the motherboard, got kids birthday this week, and the CPU's will be on backorder before the motherboards are. I bought the CPU and 6g of ram and it was like $532 clams.

I will be posting pics and benches after it is up and running. Its gonna find its home in my new cooler master Cosmos 1000 I got for $139 free shipping.

I'm gonna paint the inside of the case and do some sick cable management.

Next month when I get my Xmas bonus, I'm gonna get 2 4850x2s and atleast 2 SSD drives in raid 0.

First of all, nice of you to put family first! Second of all, don't get 2 4850 X2s... get 2 GTX 280s the 4850 X2s wont scale nearly as well when you double them up. Get 1 SSD drive and put Windows on it then get a good old hard drive, the only performance difference you will see is with Vista on an SSD, I've tried. You will, however, see a capacity difference, 1.5TB drive anyone?! :D  Tell us how the thing overclocks and please tell us how whichever aftermarket cooler you get performs!

Edit: What kit of RAM did you get?
November 16, 2008 4:18:06 PM

I will post full specs and pic/ benches once it is up and running.
November 16, 2008 4:23:59 PM

MSI Eclipse ftw.
November 16, 2008 4:24:28 PM

hey man stop hatin

good luck with the build roadrunner
November 16, 2008 4:54:09 PM

hey congrats on the spec, pretty jellous of u. if i was u, ild get 2 4870x2, they are better than gx280's in everythin except crysis.

i got a Q6600 at 3.1GHz and a 4870x2 and it amazing, the 4870x2 is definatly the best bit about my pc, ild like to have 2 but my processor isnt good enough for it.

regardless what u choose ur system is gunna rock :D 
November 16, 2008 5:13:09 PM

And here I thought the I7 was for people with money to burn. If you can't afford a mobo now, what about a CF or SLI GPU setup that will do the system justice?
November 16, 2008 5:24:25 PM

DXRick said:
And here I thought the I7 was for people with money to burn. If you can't afford a mobo now, what about a CF or SLI GPU setup that will do the system justice?

If you could read you would see dual 4850x2s are in the works.

It would be nice to spend the whole $2500 today, but realife has more important prioritys. The CPU will get hard to find real fast, and mine is already on the way. And for 2 more weeks I'm sure my 4.05 e8400 will still do me just fine.

I7 is no more expensive then a ddr3 x48 or ddr3 780i system with a q9550. No one hats on that setup, but everyone is all ready to hate on I7. You can really tell whos jealous and who aint.

According to most reviews I have read all 3 I7s seem to OC to 4.0 and not much more "STABLE" ; therefore, the i7 920 will sell out before 940 or the extreme.

940 and extreme are overpriced, but 920 is the same as q9550.
November 16, 2008 6:02:38 PM

dagger said:

As for bugs in i7, it's possible, but not likely. The last time Intel had it is with P4, and not a serious one either.

Still having history problems.....

I suggest you check your history a little closer. The last time Intel had a 'bug' was a lot more recent than P4. Both Intel and AMD have persistant little flaws in their CPUs...thats what errata is for.
November 16, 2008 6:27:16 PM

turpit said:
Still having history problems.....

I suggest you check your history a little closer. The last time Intel had a 'bug' was a lot more recent than P4. Both Intel and AMD have persistant little flaws in their CPUs...thats what errata is for.

dagger, a google search is so easy to do and will often keep you from looking like a fool. :D 

"Processors contain hundreds of millions of transistors and errata in these chips are relatively common. While some errata can affect a chip's ability to function properly -- such as the errata that last year forced Advanced Micro Devices to push back volume shipments of its quad-core Opteron processors -- many others exist unnoticed by users.

For example, the Silverthorne version of Intel's Atom processor, which lies at the heart of the Centrino Atom chip platform, contains 35 errata, according to a June specification update released by Intel.

"It's possible to fix most of the bugs, and Intel provides workarounds to the major BIOS vendors," Kaspersky said, referring to the code that controls the most basic functions of a PC. "However, not every vendor uses it and some bugs have no workarounds."

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/07/14/Researcher_to...

But then what fun would turpit be able to have with the masses if everyone did their homework. :D 
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2008 6:29:45 PM

Well you guys buy them and fix the bugs and help drop the price :p . I'll get me one mid next year.
November 16, 2008 6:35:31 PM

caamsa said:

But then what fun would turpit be able to have with the masses if everyone did their homework. :D 

:kaola: 
November 16, 2008 6:52:44 PM

All i can say is YAY No more Gigabyte fruity tutty colors!!!
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2008 6:54:41 PM

Well, I just ordered an i7 965, an Asus P6T, and a 4870x2 :) 

Can't wait for them to show up, though I still need to order the RAM and a CPU heatsink (I'm waiting for the 6GB Dominator DDR3-1600 CL8 kit). My old 2.33GHz Duo is definitely starting to show its age.
November 16, 2008 6:58:59 PM

gotta get the awesome fan for them cjl
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2008 7:07:59 PM

Which awesome fan? The fan for the RAM?
!